The Google Maps API daily query limit

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO The Google Maps API daily query limit

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Heath
    Participant

Hi folks,

I’ll start by saying that I absolutely love The Events Calendar – it’s made my life so much easier being able to drop this in and just know that it works and looks great. So, thanks!

Having a bit of an issue with the plugin since I started using it in that I’m getting the old API daily query limit has been reached message. This is happening in the current build, with a Google Maps JavaScript API key enabled (and showing up in system information as such), and yes I’m on a shared server.

The exact message I see when clicking the Fix Venue Data button is:

(red bar) The latitude and longitude for your venue could not be fetched. The Google Maps API daily query limit has been reached!

(green bar) Fixed geolocation data for 10 venues

It says that it fixes the geolocation but these don’t show up on any of the site maps until I manually input lat and long coordinates, and whatever X amount of venues I have in the current backlog still keep showing the Fix Venue Data button.

I’ve tried this without other plugins enabled and using the default theme, on past troubleshooting attempts, and no change.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help, very much appreciated.

Heath

Heath
    Participant

Oh, I forgot to mention – I’ve experimentally enabled billing on the Google Maps JavaScript API and still seeing the error above.

Cheers,

Heath

Cliff

Hi Heath. Sorry you’re experiencing this.

There are a couple things that could be happening here.

Could you please provide me a link to see any Google Maps errors on the front-end of your site (like for an event with a Venue that isn’t being mapped)?

And could you please check your console for errors (if needed, you may reference our KB article Using Google Chrome Developer Tools) while editing a Venue in wp-admin that isn’t being mapped on the front-end?

Thank you.

Heath
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cliff

Heath,

The venue map at the event you linked me to is displaying (there’s no gray box with an error from Google Maps where the map should be or in the console).

Are you saying that:

1. by the end of the day this link will likely be throwing such an error because of your site being over the limit?
    2. or are you saying the issue is that the venue does not get mapped accurately?
    Heath
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

Apologies for the confusion, hopefully I can clarify –

I’ve seen the grey box you’re talking about, when testing / regenerating the API key and no, that’s not a problem I’ve had.

What seems to happen is that, regardless of the time of day (and I’ve tried right at the Midnight PST query reset time), we see the error message in the image attached. The Settings window thus always shows the info in the screenshot, where the Fix Venues Data button is shown.

It looks like when that happens that it can use the API to get a ballpark location, but for venues where geocoding fails, and we don’t get lat and long, the displayed map is not precise – as in the map image below. That pin, if the API lookup worked perfectly, would have the pin set at the garden centre as when manually searched on Google Maps.

For those venues where it’s able to pull through the lat & long this works without issue, it’s just those where we see the error below in geo2 where the mapping isn’t exact.

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it!

Heath

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Heath.
    Cliff

If geocoding fails, there won’t be any map at all. If geocoding is successful but you feel it is inaccurate, you can override the latitude/longitude (see the “Using Coordinates” section of Troubleshooting Map View KB article) to place it exactly where you want it.

I’ve found Google’s own geocoder tool helpful to obtain such coordinates.

Please let me know if this answered your question.

Heath
    Participant

Much-belated thanks, Cliff – appreciate the clarification.

Not sure what the error message is actually indicating if the lookups are indeed, as it seems, populating through, but that’s a mystery for another day.

Cheers,

Heath

Cliff

You bet!

Courtney

Hey there Heath

We’ve just released an update that should fix this bug. You can read more about it at http://m.tri.be/19tp. Please update your plugins and let us know if you are still experiencing this or if we can close out this ticket.

Note: We suggest testing updates on a staging server (https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/creating-using-wordpress-staging-site/).

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘The Google Maps API daily query limit’ is closed to new replies.