Tagging Events Issues

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Tagging Events Issues

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Yancy
    Participant

I’m having a couple issues with tagging events:

1) The FAQ says you can merely register_taxonomy_for_object_type(‘tribe_events’, ‘tags’); to add tags — although that does not seem to work.

2) After getting it to work with add_action — I am unable to view event lists by tag — /events/tag/art gives me a 404. Is there something else I need to do?

Thank you.

Henry

1) I am pretty sure it is post_tag that you want and not “tags”.

2) You may need to flush your permalinks. Do this by simply visiting your permalink settings in WP admin.

Yancy
    Participant

Thanks.
    I’m using register_post_type(‘tribe_events’,array( ‘taxonomies’ => array(‘category’, ‘post_tag’) )) — which is working. I don’t know what flushing the permalinks means… I tried resting. Still not able to navigate to /events/tags/tag…

Henry

1) Great stuff

2) See the explanation from Jonah in this thread which may help https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/hierarchy-request/

Henry

Just to add to 2) I don’t think it is possible to have events/tags/tag. This is how WP categories work. TEC doesn’t use WP categories.

Hope you find a solution.

Yancy
    Participant

Well, tribe_meta_event_tags() in TEC is returning events/tags/tag… so it seems like this should work.

Rob

Excellent to hear, Yancy. Let us know if it doesn’t.

Henry: thanks man, as always.

Yancy
    Participant

It seems like it should work — however it is not…

events/tag/tagname returns a 404

Rob

Alright then, Yancy – thanks for confirming. Let me see what Jonah on our dev team can offer up here. Stay tuned.

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Yancy,

I don’t think this will be possible or if it is it would be complicated to get working. Not something we can help you with. Our plugin is using it’s own rewrite methods to determine URL’s and unfortunately the built in WP tags is not written into those methods. You should still be able to go to your-domain.com/tags/tag but not with the /events/ prefix – at least not through our plugin. But you may be able to use another plugin to assist you in rewriting events that have regular WP tags in the way you want. But you’re on your own on that one. Good luck, I hope you figure something out!

Yancy
    Participant

Then you should probably remove the method tribe_meta_event_tags() or at least change it to not return links to functionality you don’t support. Furthermore, you should change your FAQ which has incorrect instruction, and misleading information. A little disappointed in general here…

Rob

Hey Yancy. Thanks for the follow-up, and sorry to hear you’re disappointed. I guess I’m a bit confused as to what the issue with the code from the FAQ actually is. Jonah and I just reviewed this and the code as it stands in the FAQ is still functional: it allows you to attach WordPress’ regular tag taxonomy to your events, so tags are extended to the Events themselves. It sounds like what you’re going for is to have the tags returned with events-based links, which this method will not allow nor does it purport to. Have I missed something here? We do appreciate you bringing up the fact that it needs to be wrapped in a function…while dev-minded users will be aware of this we’ve adjusted the FAQ to make it extremely clear that this is necessary (and to clarify the other points I made earlier in this paragraph). Thanks for the heads up there.

It’s also worth noting that the functionality you are requesting is on the docket for the 2.1 release, so a more robust approach to tagging is in the works as well. We find it unfortunate to hear this comes of as misleading and incorrect though, since that was certainly not the intent, and want to make it right. What could we do to improve the experience for you?

Henry

@Yancy

I found out how to do this. You need to opt-in support for it. Use the ‘hierarchical’ => true flag of the ‘rewrite’ array for the event tags taxonomy. See my example:

http://pastebin.com/GkeBkRaM

Rob

Nice work, Henry! Yancy: if you’re still struggling with this, does Henry’s suggestion do the trick?

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Tagging Events Issues’ is closed to new replies.