Strange redirection issue

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Strange redirection issue

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Abigail Marshall
    Participant

I’m having a strange issue with events redirecting to other events when they have closely related slugs.

It was first reported to me about a day ago from a user who wanted to enroll for an event in California in February, but complained that every time she clicked the link she was sent to a page with a listing for an event in Europe in August. However, the European event was a copy of the same type of event — and the slugs had names like this:

event-10-2
    event-10-2-2
    event-10-2-2-2
    event-10-2-2-2-2

etc.

I had reviewed the specific February event on December 3rd after installing the Event Tickets Pro upgrade, so I know it was working then without a problem. I suspect that this was probably triggered by the WP 4.4. upgrade because I’ve found a lot of glitches on different sites. .. but I can’t be sure.

I was able to fix it by simply renaming the slugs so that each event had a unique slug. The reason that these have similar slugs is that they are different dates and times for identical events with the same title, and apparently when WordPress sees a duplicate title it simply tacks on -2 to the end of the previous slug.

However, there is another series of events showing the same behavior. I’ve included the link in the system information section.. I will leave this intact for a few days to allow you to take a look at it. Basically same story, with this series of slugs:

otherevent-4-2 (January)
    otherevent-4-2-2 (March)
    otherevent-4-2-2-2 (April)
    otherevent-4-2-2-2-2 (September)
    otherevent-4-2-2-2-2-2 (November)

The first two events on the list go to the correct link.

But when the link to the April event is clicked, it goes to the September event.

November event goes where it is supposed to go.

So it’s a mystery . Obviously I can fix this by paying more attention to the slugs that are used … but it would nice to be able to get to the bottom of this.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Abigail Marshall.
    • This topic was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Brian.
    Brian
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for using our plugins. I can help out here.

I will have to do some tests of my own, I have not tried to having so many similar slugs before.

Not sure if this is just a WordPress issue or something we could tighten up.

Can you provide the links to the events in a private reply?

Also, does resaving permalinks here help?

Admin > Settings > Permalinks

Let me know and we can go from here.

Thanks

Abigail Marshall
    Participant

This reply is private.

Brian
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I see what you mean on your site.

I am seeing something different on my test site.

If I create an event manually with the same titles it goes like this:

same-title
    same-title-2
    same-title-3
    same-title-4

Are you manually creating this events or using the csv importer or something else?

Also, I tried the same slugs as both posts and events and all worked correctly on my test site.

Let me know how those events are created.

The next step though is to see if a conflict on your site is causing this, but running through this guide:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/testing-for-conflicts/

Thanks

Abigail Marshall
    Participant

My events were manually created — not imported — but may have been created using duplication or cloning with a plugin. However, based on bug reports on the wordpress site, I’m thinking this may be an artifact of the WP 4.4 upgrade. People are reporting various issues with pre-existing records that don’t seem to carry over to newly created records. I’m going to go ahead and correct the problem on my own site, and chalk this up to a WP upgrade problem for now.

Brian
    Keymaster

Ok, it could be that then.

Let us know if the issue comes back and we can take another look.

I am going to go ahead and close this ticket. If you have a similar issue or another in the future, please do not hesitate to create a new ticket.

Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Strange redirection issue’ is closed to new replies.