Speed Problems with Recurring Events

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Speed Problems with Recurring Events

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    activehealthy
    Participant

Hi Folks,

Happy Thanksgiving.

We are having some real issues with the speed of page rendering when using recurring events.

We’ve set the time range to 12 months in Events -> Settings -> General.

There are some 272 main events with ~ 8,000 recurring instances (based on the 12 month) setting. Page load time in chrome developer tools on the calendar page (and any page that displays events in a widget format on the sidebar) is ~ 14-15 seconds. Deactivating the tribe events plugin brings page load down to ~ 2.5 seconds.

If I leave only the first instance of each event and delete all the additional instances created as re-currances the page load is about 4 seconds. Still not really great but workable.

If I disable ALL plugins page load time is about 1.5seconds. Renable just the tribe events pro plugin and tribe events community plugin and page load is back up at 8 seconds.

Enable transients is enabled. If I disable the enable transients setting the page load speed is ~ 17 seconds.

So, my questions are:

• Is this a known issue? It’s not a server problem as I get the same problems on the client’s live site and also on a my own local development environment on my notebook.
    • Is there a solution or work around? I have tried dropping the clean up and create recurring events setting down to 1 month and it’s not making a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Eric.

Cliff

Hi Marsha / Eric,

Thanks for the detailed information and sorry you’re experiencing this.

It’s hard to tell if this is your issue or not, but, once you verify you’re on the latest versions, please do strongly consider trying the fix for runaway recurring events (a bug introduced in version 4.2.2 and fixed within a few days via version 4.2.2.1).

You can reference these code snippets to help determine if this is your problem and how to go about resolving it in your database: tribe-extension-recurring-cleanup.zip (Recurring Events fixer plugin wp-admin page preview)

Please let me know how it goes for you.

activehealthy
    Participant

Okay, so I think you sent me the wrong link. After installing the plugin I got an entirely different screen to the one you posted. See attached.

After running the tool I had 0 events left in the database.

Although that may be one way to fix the speed problems it’s not exactly what I intended. Can you please check that you have included a link to the correct tool?

Cliff

The runaway recurring events plugin I shared wasn’t the latest version (sorry). Please try this one instead: https://theeventscalendar.com/content/uploads/2016/11/tribe-ext-recurring-cleanup-1-0-0.zip

activehealthy
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cliff

10-12 seconds load time is never “good”.

However, to say whether or not it’s “expected” is different based on each site’s configuration, traffic, theme, other plugins running, etc. so I can’t really answer that.

We do have a Performance Considerations KB article that may point you in the right direction, but I doubt it’ll be your silver bullet.

I see some of your events have 70+ recurrences. This is correct if you created an event that recurs daily for 70 days straight.

Users who typically have the “runaway recurring events” issue typically have hundreds in a single series, unexpectedly.

So, in the end, there’s not much I can help with here other than recommending your server be powerful enough and optimized for your usage. If you can’t get help from your web host and want to hire someone to help, you may want to check with Donald Grover from our list of freelancers.

Cliff

Hi, Marsha.

Thanks to other users reporting this same issue, I’ll mark this ticket as Pending Fix, which means this thread should receive a reply once the applicable fix has been released. I cannot guarantee when it will be fixed as it’s in the development team’s hands now. They need to assign it, code it, test it, and schedule it for release.

I apologize for this issue and appreciate your understanding and patience.

The current workaround is to use a plugin like http://wordpress.org/plugins/delete-expired-transients/ (third-party, not guaranteed or supported by us)

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi There!

First, we wanted to apologize for the long delay in getting back to this topic in regards to the issue reported here.

We’ve reached to the conclusion that the lack of decent garbage collection (for transients stored in the database) is a general shortcoming that is best addressed from the WordPress core side of things.

We know some other plugins face with the same issue. The good thing is there are several great tools out there, such as the WP Transients Manager, that can solve this problem.

As a result, we don’t wish to duplicate efforts by baking in our own transient garbage collector if solid general purpose tools (like WP Transients Manager) already exist to do the same job.

As always, if you decide to implement one of these tools, we suggest to setup a dev/staging site so you can test things out without disrupting the live site.

Don’t hesitate to reach out to us for any follow up questions you may have.

Best,
    Victor

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Speed Problems with Recurring Events’ is closed to new replies.