Soft 404 errors in Google – continued in latest version 2

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Soft 404 errors in Google – continued in latest version 2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    melzar
    Participant

Me again, I said I’d monitors things for awhile then write back with an update.

I’m still getting 404s, even after re-activating the 404 to 301 plugin.

So I’m using the latest version of the plugin, I’m running the 404 to 301 plugin, and I’m regularly clearing the errors, but they persist.

Now it’s showing pages like this:
    http://kcpetproject.org/events/1992-11/
    (Events for November, 1992)
    Also showing future events:
    http://kcpetproject.org/events/2238-06/
    (Events for June 2238)
    Even though we set recurring events to only go 6 months in advance.
    In all, I’ve got 178 new errors like the ones above.

I also have a few like these, not sure why these are returning 404s:
    http://kcpetproject.org/events/category/adoption-events/2015-08/
    http://kcpetproject.org/events/category/volunteer-orientation/2015-09/

Any advice on next steps I can take?

Thanks

Nico

Hi Melzar,

Thanks for the follow-up on this, and sorry this is taking so long to solve 🙁

I reviewed the previous threads, and also analyzed the URLs you shared. Just to be on the same page I’ll list my findings:

– All URLs are returning 200 (ok) status. None of them is returning a 404 status.
    – Category URLs like this: …/events/category/adoption-events/2015-08/ have the robots meta set to “noindex,follow,noodp,noydir”, which should prevent those pages from being indexed at all. Are they actually being indexed?
    – Past/Future empty URLs do not have their robots meta set to “noindex”, that’s why I think they are getting indexed. Not sure where the link is grabbed from anyway. Maybe empty views should have robots meta set to “noindex,nofollow”. Do you think you can change that setting in Yoast plugin? Really not familiar with it.
    – I see your pages have two robots meta tags, and even ‘non-empty’ URLs like …/events/ are having a second robots meta set to “noindex,follow”. I guess google just gets the info from the first meta.

I’ll review this case with the team and let you know if I have any idea of how to change this behavior,

Best,
    Nico

Nico

Melzar,

Would you mind sharing your system info with me in a private reply? Maybe there’s something in there that gives me a clue about the cause of this situation.

Thanks!
    Nico

melzar
    Participant

This reply is private.

melzar
    Participant

This reply is private.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by melzar.
    Nico

Hey melzar,

Thanks for following up and including the system information!

I’ll review this tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks for the patience so far 🙂

Best,
    Nico

Nico

Hi Melzar,

Sorry for the delay on this!

First of all I would like to understand how the following plugins are affecting the robots meta -if they are.

– 404 to 301: Was this plugin added to amend the fact that in previous versions of our product empty views where returning 404 status code?
    – Event Rocket: I recall this plugin also had an option to revert the 404 on empty views. Are you aware if this is active?
    – Yoast: is it possible to indicate the plugin to not output the robots meta for the calendar? Or to give a subset of settings to The Events Calendar pages?

I will make some local tests with Yoast and The Events Calendar to see is the duplicate robots meta is being generated by those plugins. I think that if we can control the robots meta, and set them correctly we will be close to solving this.

Please let me about the above follow-up questions,
    Best,
    Nico

melzar
    Participant

This reply is private.

Nico

This reply is private.

melzar
    Participant

This reply is private.

Nico

This reply is private.

melzar
    Participant

This reply is private.

Nico

This reply is private.

melzar
    Participant

This reply is private.

Nico

This reply is private.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘Soft 404 errors in Google – continued in latest version 2’ is closed to new replies.