Site crashing on update

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Site crashing on update

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    yvrmark
    Participant

The update of the Events Calendar went okay but now the Pro is taking forever to update (it has been over ten minutes now). I am now getting the following error:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tribe_is_community_my_events_page() in /home/ch1892/public_html/wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar-community-events/src/functions/template-tags.php on line 9

Brian
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry for the issues here. I can work with you to resolve this.

If you updated The Events Calendar to 4.0 and leave Community Events at 3.12.x or earlier it will break the site. If you cannot update Community Events for whatever reason you should remain on 3.12.6 for the Events Calendar and follow the steps below to set that up.

Unfortunately, the only way to fix it is to access the files of you site and delete the older version of Community Events. This process itself does not delete or change any of your settings in the database.

This can be done by either your hosting account file manager or through ftp. The files will be found here:

wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar-community-events/

Please make sure to remove all copies of Community Events.

That will bring your site back and then you can download the latest version of Community Events (4.0) from your account here and manually upload it to your site.

We also have this guide for manual updates:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/manual-updates/

If you need your site right away with community events I recommended downgrading to the 3.12.x for all the plugins.

You can download the older versions from your account here on theeventscalendar.com and older versions of the core plugin here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/the-events-calendar/developers/

And follow these steps for manual updates:

If you have issues please let me know and I can help out.

Thanks

yvrmark
    Participant

Hi Brian,

Well that is frustrating.

To be clear – do I delete the entire folder and its contents at wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar-community-events/?

Makr

yvrmark
    Participant

Hi, also will there be any issues updating the other plugins? Pro & Facebook add-ons? I want to ensure I don’t get into this problem again.

Brian
    Keymaster

Sorry for the frustrations.

Delete the entire directory.

Pro and Facebook should be fine, but you could manually update them as well too.

yvrmark
    Participant

Hi Brian

Okay, I got the site back up thanks to the help of my hosting company. I’ve successfully updated PRO and Facebook. Just so I don’t cause any more issues:

The hosting company renamed the Community Events folder to get me back. It still shows in the WP backend (not activated).

Do I delete this plugin? Options are “Activate | Edit | Delete” and then upload it again as per your earlier instructions?

Thanks.

Brian
    Keymaster

Yep you want to delete that plugin and confirm it is gone before trying to upload the latest version.

yvrmark
    Participant

Okay, looks like everything is back and working. Whew!

Question for you though. The events “list” & “day” views used to provide a snippet with a link to more details. Now it appears that the entire text in the event listing is showing. Was there a reason for this change? It makes for some rather long screens now 🙁

Brian
    Keymaster

Glad it is working now.

For the other issue.

We’ve got this bug logged in our internal tracking system and will notify you here as we make progress on this issue. I apologize for any inconvenience that this issue has caused.

In the meantime, you can fix this issue by making some quick modifications to the core plugin. These changes will get overridden with the next update which will include an official fix to this issue.

Within the main Events Calendar plugin, navigate to the src > functions > template-tags > general.php file and open it within your preferred text editor.

Navigate to line #1320 within that file. It should look like:

$excerpt = wp_trim_excerpt( $excerpt );

You can change that line to be:

$excerpt = wp_trim_words( $excerpt, ’55’ );

Where “55” is the number of words that you would like the excerpt to be there.

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns here.

Thanks!

yvrmark
    Participant

Hi Brian, so I changed that line and cleared the site cache and I still don’t get an excerpt. Here is what that section looks like now:

`// Get the Excerpt or content based on what is available
    if ( has_excerpt( $post->ID ) ) {
    $excerpt = $post->post_excerpt;
    } else {
    $excerpt = $post->post_content;
    }

// Remove all shortcode Content before removing HTML
    if ( ! $allow_shortcode ) {
    $excerpt = preg_replace( ‘#\[.+\]#U’, ”, $excerpt );
    }

// Remove “all” HTML based on what is allowed
    $excerpt = wp_kses( $excerpt, $allowed_html );

// Still treat this as an Excerpt on WP
    $excerpt = wp_trim_excerpt( $excerpt, ’55’ );

return wpautop( $excerpt );
    }

Brian
    Keymaster

Hi,

I tested this on my site and it worked for me.

I would check the file again and confirm the change.

Also, make sure the quotes are single on each site and not curly quotes or anything like that as that might not work then.

yvrmark
    Participant

Hmm, I’m at a loss. I’ve double-checked and it appears to be there…

Brian
    Keymaster

If it is not working for you the only other solution would be to downgrade all the plugins to 3.12.x.

You can download the older versions from your account here on theeventscalendar.com and older versions of the core plugin here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/the-events-calendar/developers/

And follow these steps for manual updates:

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Site crashing on update’ is closed to new replies.