Help Desk

shortcomings with "Hide Others’ Organizers and Venues in Community Events"

This extension was a good idea, but users cannot access previous organizers or venues they have created, nor can they make edits once the event has been submitted. So it creates a lot of duplicate records and confusion.

Have recent PRO or Community Event updates broken this functionality?

Would love for this to work, since I don’t want users to access or edit anyone else’s venues or organizers.

Hi LaVonne!

Thanks for getting in touch with us! Let me help you with this topic.

I’ve just tested out and it seems this extension no longer works for the current versions of our plugins > https://theeventscalendar.com/extensions/hide-others-organizers-and-venues-in-community-events/

As a workaround, you can place the following code snippet into your theme’s functions.php file and will accomplish the same as the extension

add_filter( 'tribe_events_linked_posts_query', 'hide_linked_posts', 10, 2 );
    function hide_linked_posts( $output, $args ) {
        if ( ! is_admin() && ! isset( $args['author'] ) ) {
            $output = array();
        }

return $output;
    }

To avoid any conflict with this snippet please deactivate the extension.

users cannot access previous organizers or venues they have created

This is a different setting which you can enable by going to Events > Settings > Community tab and under Members you should check the Edit their submissions checkbox, so that Users can edit their events, venues, and organizers.

In the meantime, I will log a bug report for the extension not working so it can be addressed in the future. I will also link it to this thread and set it as “Pending fix” so we can let you know when it is fixed.

I hope that helps. Let me know how that works for you and if you have any follow up questions.

Best,
    Victor

Your fix appears to work for new event listings. Thank you!

BUT if I create an event in the WordPress back end, and assign “The Author” to the correct user, the Venue and Organizer do not appear when that user logs in to edit the event. Is there any way to fix this? We need an efficient way for us “admins” to create events, but users need to edit all event details, including their specific organizer and venue records.

Related issue: When editing an organizer (or venue), the styling is weird. Maybe this is a problem with my Avada theme? screenshot below

Hi LaVonne!

Thanks for following up with this.

It’s great to know it worked out for you!

As for the venue/organizers not showing up, this is because the venue and organizer were created by the you the administrator and not the user. The venue and organizers are a difference post type so they also have an author assigned to them.

You should also assign the venue and organizer to the user in order for them to be able to see/edit.

As for the styling issue, that does seem like a theme conflict. To verify this you could switch to a default theme and see if it looks fine in it. I’m not able to access the community add form as I need to be logged in, so if you want me to have a look at it you could share with me credentials so I can only access the form and see if I can spot the problem.

Let me know about it.

Thanks,
    Victor

You say: You should also assign the venue and organizer to the user in order for them to be able to see/edit.

Where do I do this? Not seeing that option when I “Edit Venue” from WP admin.

As for the styling issue, this is a live site so I’m not switching themes, and the plugin “WP Staging” does not yet work with the latest WP version.

Hi LaVonne!

The author selector does not display by default. Try adding the following snippet into your theme functions.php file to add support for this in venues and organizers posts:

/**
    * Enable author support for organizer and venue posts.
    * @param  array $args
    * @return array
    */
    function tribe_add_author_support( $args ) {
    $args['supports'][] = 'author';
    return $args;
    }
    add_filter( 'tribe_events_register_organizer_type_args', 'tribe_add_author_support' );
    add_filter( 'tribe_events_register_venue_type_args', 'tribe_add_author_support' );

As for the organizer description styling issue. I’ve just realized that is not a built-in field for the organizer, so styles for that field might not be available by default. Perhaps that is a customization made by your theme or yourself? If so, then you should try adding CSS styles for it to show accordingly.

Let me know how that goes.

Best,
    Victor

Excellent. I added this author selector code to my Avada Child Theme. This will be so helpful!! Many thanks.
    I will talk to Avada about my styling question.

Hi LaVonne!

Glad to know that helped! 🙂

Regarding the organizer description. I could reproduce it in my own installation using Avada. I was wrong in that the organizer description field is not a default field.

While not the same as in Avada, I could also see it looking a bit odd using 2017 theme, so it is indeed something we could make a tweak and add some space around it. I have logged a report for this so we can improve it in a future maintenance release of our plugins.

We’ll let you know when we ship a fix for this. In the meantime, you can use the following CSS snippet to make it look better:

.events-community-post-content textarea {
    margin-bottom: 6px;
    width: 100%;
    }

You should add it to your theme’s styles or by using the WordPress customizer (wp-admin > Appearance > Customize > Additional CSS)

Hope that helps!

Best,
    Victor

That is better. Thank you.
    FYI: I put it in my Avada Theme Options, under Custom CSS (since this is where a few other customizations have been added).

Hi LaVonne!

Great to know that helps! Thanks for following up to let me know about it.

We’ll keep you posted about the issues.

Best!
    Victor

Hi there,

Just wanted to share with you that a new maintenance release is out, including a fix for this issue.

Find out more about this release → https://theeventscalendar.com/maintenance-release-for-the-week-of-12-feburary-2018/

Update the plugins and let us know if the fix works for your site,
    Cheers,
    Nico

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

The topic ‘shortcomings with "Hide Others’ Organizers and Venues in Community Events"’ is closed to new replies.