Secondary Nav not displaying in certain view modes

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Secondary Nav not displaying in certain view modes

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John
    Participant

Greetings,

I’m having an issue with a secondary navigation that doesn’t appear on certain views. It doesn’t appear on the main Events page, but it does appear when I change the view to Month and Photo view (So I set links for those view modes in my main nav). However, it doesn’t appear in Day, Map, Week, and List views. The nav is coded into the Header.php so I’m unclear on how the Events pages are causing it to not appear. Is there something I should change in my Header.php file, or can I add the code into the event view templates?

http://casbaa.thinkcreativeinc.com/wordpress/events/ (doesn’t appear)

http://casbaa.thinkcreativeinc.com/wordpress/events/month/ (does appear)

Thanks,

J

Geoff

Hey there, John, welcome to the forums! Thanks for reaching out and sorry for the issue here.

I notice there are several errors in the console when I inspect your site in DevTools. For example, the browser tab reads “Page Not Found” when switching to Week View (/events/week), among other errors.

This leads me to think that your theme is not properly recognizing some calendar views as pages, which is preventing it from displaying the secondary navigation as well.

You can try testing for conflicts using the steps outlined in this guide. However, I think the best course of action here is to connect with the theme author to shed some light on why the theme is not adding the navigation to those pages.

Sorry I don;t have more of a concrete solution for you here, but I hope reaching out to the theme author will help steer things back in the right direction.

Cheers!
    Geoff

John
    Participant

Hi Geoff, thanks for pointing out the errors in the console. I was calling in some CSS improperly. Also has some missing image file for my logo slider. I remedied those issues, but am still left with the initial missing navigation problem.

I have contacted the theme developer and am awaiting some info that can help out. Also, I went through the ‘Testing for conflicts’ page you referred me to and tried all those steps. Unfortunately, even on the default Twenty Fourteen and Twenty Fifteen themes I get the same “Page Not Found” errors. I’ll post again with anything I hear back. Thanks

J

Geoff

My pleasure, and thanks for following up!

Good call. Let’s see what you hear from the theme author and then we can proceed from there. I’ll leave this thread open a while longer to give some time for that to happen.

Cheers!
    Geoff

John
    Participant

Hi Geoff, I’ve discovered what it is that’s causing my secondary nav to only display on certain events pages. Its actually not an issue with the theme I’m using, but whith a plugin that I’m using to display submenu items as a secondary navigation. I found the code for this plugin here:
    http://christianvarga.com/how-to-get-submenu-items-from-a-wordpress-menu-based-on-parent-or-sibling/

It allows you to display a secondary navigation based on the menu you create in the ‘Appearance > Menus’ section of the WP backend. However because I have not added every event view to the Events section of my menu the secondary nav bar doesn’t show up on the other view or on individual event pages.

Adding all the event views and event pages would be tedious and would look really cluttered. So now I have to find a way to implement my very basic second nav with the ‘Event Calendar’ and ‘Past Events’ links into all Event pages.

I know this is whole new issue, and probably outside of the support this forum was meant for so I’ll just mark this issue as resolved. If you have any feedback or can point me in any good directions I’d really appreciate that. Thanks for all the help.

J

Geoff

Oh wow, nice work! That make a heck of a lot of sense and I can see how that would cause the issue to pop up.

It depends on the flexibility and documentation of the navigation plugin, but I wonder if you can inject a navigation manually into the events template itself. That way, you’d only have to touch it once in the default-template.php template. Just a thought, but it could be way off base depending on what the plugin supports.

Thanks so much for following up and providing more details. I’ll go ahead and close this thread since it seems like you’ve narrowed it down to the navigation plugin, but please feel free to hit us up with a new thread if any other questions pop up–we’d be happy to help. 🙂

Cheers!
    Geoff

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Secondary Nav not displaying in certain view modes’ is closed to new replies.