Recurring Events lookahead

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Recurring Events lookahead

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    karen
    Participant

in the settings there is one to set the recurring events to look ahead one – several months. How does that work? I need to delete several hundred of them manually, because there are just too many to open the event, set it to NOT recurr and resave it. I do not want them coming back before I can delete them all. Is there a cron that runs every so often or how does that work ?
    thank you for your patience.
    karen

Josh
    Participant

Hey Karen,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

I’m not sure I’m following your question. We do have 2 options within our settings in reference to the creation and deletion of recurring events (https://cloudup.com/cCMyF9QeElr). The first option allows your recurring events to be automatically deleted after the timeframe that you set for the option passes.

The second option allows you to limit how many months into the future recurring events can be created for. So, if you set this to 4 months, recurring events won’t be created for a year out even if they are set to recur for an entire year.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks!

karen
    Participant

Thanks, That much I understand. I need to know what triggers the app to produce the files 24 months out. I want to delete these and cannot do it through conventional methods, so I need to know WHEN these events are triggered to make an additional month so that it is up to date with the number of months out that were requested. I do not want them recreating themselves after I have deleted them. I have to delete these manually since there are so many I cannot even open the event in question. thanks

Josh
    Participant

Hey Karen,

I apologize but I don’t believe I’m understanding the issue here. It sounds like your calendar is creating events that you don’t want to be created after you delete them?

The limitation of the 24 months shouldn’t be a perpetual thing. If you created an event a month ago, it shouldn’t create another months worth of events now that a month has passed.

Would you mind giving a little more detail about the original issue that your trying to fix? That may give me enough information to understand what you’re looking for.

Thanks!

karen
    Participant

Yes, my calendar has created events I do not want. over 635 of them, the same, for one day. and many days after that. This was a NEVER ending event. I set the lookahead to 1 month, so that I could delete them and not get them recreating themselves once I started deleting event that were less than a month out. Let’s say I have the look ahead set to 2 months. I delete everything inside of 2 months and I am left with one month of events. How and when does the app create that second month? If I delete month 2 manually, will it recreate itself? Does that help?

Josh
    Participant

Hey Karen,

Thanks for following up with us.

I think I’m understanding what you’re requesting now. The look ahead months setting won’t retroactively delete future events within a recurring event that has already been created. That is, if you first create an event to recur daily for the next three months and then go and change this setting https://cloudup.com/c1SWxRz8fs4 to be 2 months it won’t go back and delete that extra month. It’ll only prevent future recurring events from being created more than 2 months out.

That being said, it sounds like we have a bigger issue here if your calendar is creating 635 events a day that you didn’t want to be created. Would you mind sending me a screenshot of the recurrence settings for when you created the event?

Thanks!

karen
    Participant

Hi Josh, Yes I have a big issue and I have no idea what happened here. I am just trying to clean up the mess at the moment and want to know On what day of the month does the event calendar create new events for recurring events that were set to NEVER. The first day? I don’t believe that I ever set the settings to create more than 6 months out, but I have played with the settings from time to time. My database just grew out of hand somehow. I have almost delete all these events and will start over and monitor more closely. Only 8,000 to go, down from 23,000. 🙂

Josh
    Participant

Hey Karen,

Would you mind sending us a private reply with the System Information that can be found at the bottom of the Events Settings > Help tab.

Also, when creating events that “never” end. The events will get created in advance for the number of months set within the setting we previously discussed. When created, a cron job is set up (tribe-recurrence-cron) to run daily to check whether or not (a) new instances of a recurring event need to be created (b) or if older events need to be deleted. You can delete this cron job if you would like using a plugin such as https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-crontrol/.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks!

karen
    Participant

This reply is private.

Josh
    Participant

Hey Karen,

Thanks for providing this information. It’s definitely helpful!

For the cron issue, you can use a plugin such as https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-crontrol/ to access the cron jobs on your site via the “Tools” menu item.

In regards to the duplicated events issue:

1. It looks like you’ve been using PRO on your site for a while. Did this issue just recently start happening when creating recurring events?
    2. Were there any other changes at the same time ( new plugin added, plugin updated, theme updated, etc. ) that the issue started occurring with the events getting duplicated?
    3. Have you tried following our Testing for Conflicts procedures to ensure there isn’t a conflict at play here? You can possibly expedite this process if there was anything new or different added in reference to the second question above.

Thanks!

karen
    Participant

I cannot point to any one event that might have caused this. You would think I would have noticed 16,000 of the same event if it had taken place over months. Or maybe it is more like putting a frog in water and then turning on the heat. Some mistakes were made with other recurring events but they did not create the havoc of this one. I have almost completed cleaning this up and will keep an eye on it more closely this time and hopefully get closer to nailing the cause of this down. At the moment I have nothing for you to go on.
    I will take a look at wp-Crontrol because I could not find any cron jobs in CPanel.

Josh
    Participant

Hey Karen,

I’ve been using wp-crontrol on couple of dev sites lately and it’s been working great.

I’ll go ahead and leave this thread open for now. If you notice that something happens again you can follow up in this thread.

Thanks!

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Recurring Events lookahead’ is closed to new replies.