Recurring Events – Clarification Please

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Recurring Events – Clarification Please

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    weezypops
    Participant

When you set how long you want recurring events to be created for, what happens when you reach the end of this time? Do they then recur again, or do they expire?

I always assumed that if I set it for a month, for example, they would be created on the calendar for a month, then would be created again when they reach the last one but I’ve just come to work on my calendar again after a few months of not working on it and it seems all my events have expired.

Does this then mean that if we want events to recur indefinitely we have to set it to create events a huge number of months in advance? And if so, won’t that be a massive burden on the memory, speed etc. of the site?

I’ve been in the process of moving all my events across to this plugin for ages now as I have thousands, but every time I come back to it to work, something else seems to have gone wrong!

weezypops
    Participant

I have found that if I go into the event and resave it, it reappears on the calendar, but I don’t really want to have to do this 7000+ times, for it then to break again in the future!

Hi Louise,

Thanks so much for reaching out!

When you set up a recurring event, the event will end if there are no more instances created.  For example, if you create a recurring event to recur every week for 4 weeks, the event will not be recreated after those four events have past.

If you want events to recur indefinitely, you will have to intentionally set it up that way.  You also have options about when events should be cleaned up and how far in advance new events should be created.  You can find these options in Events Settings < General.

I hope this helps to provide some clarification for you.  If you have any other questions on this topic, please let me know!

Thanks,

Jaime

weezypops
    Participant

Hi, they were all set to repeat indefinitely as they are ongoing clubs, classes etc. but didn’t do so. I had set it up to clean up after a month and repeat for a month (though thankfully the clean up didn’t do anything either as the events are still listed in the backend, so I do still have all the info.

Hi Louise,

Okay, it seems like there may be something that isn’t working properly.

As a first troubleshooting step, could you please provide us with your complete system information in a private reply using the instructions found in the following link?

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/sharing-sys-info/

In addition, can you take a screenshot of the way you have one of your events set up that doesn’t seem to be working as expected.

Also, if you go to Events Settings < General, what does your “Create recurring events in advance for” setting say?

Let me know!

Thanks,

Jaime

weezypops
    Participant

This reply is private.

weezypops
    Participant

Screenshots:

SS1 shows the backend of the event, where you can see it’s set to recur every week with no end

weezypops
    Participant

SS2 shows the front end of the event’s most recent occurrence.
    SS3 shows a search which doesn’t return the event
    SS4 shows the same search from October which does.

Create recurring events in advance is set for 2 months but was previously set for 1.

Great, thanks for providing me with all of that information.  As a first troubleshooting step, can you update your WordPress version and Events Calendar, Events Calendar PRO, and Community Events, to their most recent versions?

After doing so, try creating a new recurring event and see if the issue still occurs.

Let me know how it goes!

Thanks,

Jaime

weezypops
    Participant

Okay, I am fully updated.

I’ve added a test event and it’s successfully created future events, but I’m guessing I won’t be able to see if it’s worked for a month or so as this is what happened previously too! Is it possible to have this thread stay open until I can check?

On a separate note, the filter bar doesn’t seem to be working now I’ve updated. Is that something that can be addressed here, or do I need to start a new thread?

Thanks
    Louise

Hi Louise,

I’m glad that you were able to create some future events, let’s see how it goes!  I can keep this thread open until you check to see if the issue still occurs.

As far as the Filter Bar issue, I’d recommend opening up a new thread, just to keep it to one issue per thread.

Let me know how everything goes!

Thanks,

Jaime

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Recurring Events – Clarification Please’ is closed to new replies.