Recurring Events are not being generated

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Recurring Events are not being generated

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Hans-Gerd
    Participant

Hi,
    same issue here.
    https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/recurring-events-are-not-being-generated/

I have implemented some suggestions for solutions (see the thread) in our development environment – unfortunately without success.
    Is there already a solution to the (obviously known) issue?

Best regards,
    Hans-Gerd

Hans-Gerd
    Participant

Hi,
    is it possible that the problem is also related to the warning I receive every day by e-mail?
    Cron <root@s121> su – web15 -s /usr/local/bin/shell -c ‘/usr/bin/php70 /home/wwww/wp/wp-cron.php’:
    PHP Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/wwww/wp/wp-content/plugins/events-calendar-pro/src/Tribe/Recurrence/Meta.php on line 1109
    Please have a look at my ticket in February:
    https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/php-warning-invalid-argument-supplied-for-foreach-2/

Best regards,
    Hans-Gerd

Sky
    Keymaster

Hi Hans,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having problems with recurring events. I will try to help you get this sorted.

In the original post you linked to, the issue turned out to be a combination of a high number of recurring events, and very complex combinations of rules for the recurrence patterns. The cron didn’t have time to process the requests in that particular customer’s server environment.

Here is an excerpt of the answer that was ultimately given to that customer:

Using your database locally I found the expected event instances were generated, however:

• You have a lot of very complex rules (a good example can be found in the Lap Swimming event)
    • Running WP cron via the command line, it took around 16 minutes to complete and finish generating the missing instances, which is a comparatively long run.
    • If in your hosting environment WP cron is triggered via web requests (which is the default) it’s possible that no single run has enough time to make noticeable progress through the backlog of instances waiting to be generated.

Long term a possible fix is for you to set things up as follows:

• Make use of real, crontab-based cron jobs
    • Use the WP CLI utility, if available, to run the recurring event update task (next bullet point contains the relevant command)
    • wp cron event run tribe-recurrence-cron

You may need to work with your host to configure the above and, depending on the host, it’s possible they may not be able to oblige. If that’s the case and you can’t switch to a host with these capabilities you may need a back-up plan.

So, not exactly a “fix” or even anything concrete. He was however, able to “fix” the events by manually saving them.

Looking at the other thread you posted regarding the cron error, my take on it is this: When duplicating the events with the plugin you were using, some metadata was incorrectly parsed. Even though you switched to a different plugin, the events that were originally generated with them may still have this misconfiguration saved in the database.

So, what I’m wondering is, if you manually save one of the events in question, does that fix the issue as it did for the other user? Are the events generated when you save it? And, the next time the cron runs, will it run successfully for that event?

Please let me know if saving one of the events “fixes” the recurring events for it.

Thanks,
    Sky

Hans-Gerd
    Participant

Hi Sky,
    thank you very much for your comprehensive reply.
    I’m very sorry, I didn’t understand:

So, what I’m wondering is, if you manually save one of the events in question, does that fix the issue as it did for the other user? Are the events generated when you save it? And, the next time the cron runs, will it run successfully for that event?

Please let me know if saving one of the events “fixes” the recurring events for it.

Of course I can copy the event with the plugin duplicate post, then enter it as a recurring event and delete the “old” event series. Is that what you mean?

Best regards,
    Hans-Gerd

Sky
    Keymaster

Hans,

What I mean is to go to the root event of the series in the admin, and just click the “update” button without even making any changes. Do the missing recurring events get generated when you do that?

Thanks,
    Sky

Hans-Gerd
    Participant

Hi Sky,
    sorry for confusion. I was irritated because of “save” instead of “update”.
    I have tried it just some days before on our live system and it works. I would like to continue watching this special recurring events with the issue now.

Best regards,
    Hans-Gerd

Sky
    Keymaster

Hi again,

OK, great! If it doesn’t generate the next batch of events as it’s supposed to, the next thing I would recommend is to remove the recurrence pattern settings for the event, and re-add them, and see if that makes any changes the next time it is supposed to update.

Thanks,
    Sky

Hans-Gerd
    Participant

Hi Sky,
    thanks for the hint. I’ll test it if it doesn’t work that way.

Best regards,
    Hans-Gerd

Sky
    Keymaster

You’re very welcome!

Please let me know how it goes.

Sky

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Recurring Events are not being generated’ is closed to new replies.