QR Code Scanner

Home Forums Ticket Products Community Tickets QR Code Scanner

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Nico

Hey Chris / Dirk,

Thanks both for the feedback! Let me work a bit more on the snippet tomorrow and maybe have some colleagues test it before sending it back to you (in a public reply) to try it out.

We have logged a feature ticket for this to be done and included in the plugin at some point in the future.

I have been thinking of other solutions to temporarily bypass this issue. Is there a way to automatically export the customer codes, or the pages that have to be validated, to a database that a qr scanner can reference without the need for someone to be logged in? Only those who have the account with the database will be able to validate. This makes it so that information is not compromised even with all event codes in the database being seen by everyone.

You can export ticket codes from the attendee list report in the backend. I’m aware some of our clients do this and validate ticket with an offline scanner but I’m not sure how that works really ๐Ÿ™

Hopefully I’ll be able to get a working snippet,
    Best,
    Nico

Chris
    Participant

Thanks Nico. I look forward to trying out the new snippet!

Nico

Excelente, I just tweak it a bit (although it was working on my end) and just send it for dev review. I will probably have it ready for tomorrow folks!

Thanks for the patience ๐Ÿ™‚
    Nico

Chris
    Participant

Awesome!

Nico

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay once again, an error was highlighted in my snippet. I worked on it today but couldn’t get a fix in place yet. Hang in there a bit more!

Have a good weekend,
    Best,
    Nico

Chris
    Participant

Thanks Nico

Nico

Folks!

Here’s the updated snippet for the ‘Custom QR Check in’. Just to be sure we are all in the same page let me review what the snippet does, where to place it and how to customize it:

What’s the snippet doing? Basically it’s disabling the default mechanism for checking in tickets via QR tickets. On the other side we are proving a new method to do this, which is basically the same but redirecting the user to the front-end of the site instead of redirecting them to the back-end attendee list. This also enables tweaks on the conditional to set which user is allowed to do the checkins.

Where to place this code? Easiest way is to place it in the theme’s (or child theme) functions.php file (making sure yo don’t copy the php opening tag unless it’s necessary). But as this article explains there are some options: Adding Code to Your Site When Youโ€™re Not a โ€œCoderโ€.

How can I customize the snippet? You can change the URLs for successful / failed QR checkin. Successful meaning the user had the permissions to checkin the ticket and failed meaning the opposite (for example if a non-logged in user tries to checkin a ticket).

All that said, here’s the snippet:

https://gist.github.com/niconerd/24bc1f048b652e4677ccf9dc408da7ed

Just let me know if it works for you,
    Best,
    Nico

Chris
    Participant

This reply is private.

Nico

Hey Chris,

Sorry to hear about this ๐Ÿ™

What could be happening is an error in how the code is placed. Basically the code is not making any permanent change in the site, this means if you remove the code you pasted (in the functions file if you took that road) things should be back to normal. If you can access your site via FTP and send me the functions file content (again if that was the way you included the snippet) I can check that the code is pasted in correctly.

Also, it seems the server is generating an error but you cannot see the description. Two options: check if the hosting company has a way of viewing the PHP error logs or just enable error logging in WordPress (https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress).

Best,
    Nico

Chris
    Participant

This reply is private.

Dirk
    Participant

Hi guys,

Might be an open book but we had a dashboard crash as well when we put the snippet in the functions.php.
    Realized a couple seconds later that I forgot to remove the <?php part of the snippet.

However, after removing that and turning on one plugin at the time I noticed that the conflict arised when turning on the Tribe Extension: Event Tickets Plus Extension: Show and Print Tickets.

Not sure if it is related, but worth to check out I guess.

We’re testing the function of the snippet at the moment, more on that later.

Cheers,
    Dirk

Chris
    Participant

Thanks Dirk. We are trying to recover our site now. We left out the <?php and it crashed as well

Chris
    Participant

I was able to fix my site. I inserted the snippet with a plugin and that gave me the white screen. Once I went in and deleted that plugin from our files, the site came back. for now, I’m going to hold off on installing the snippet.

Nico

Thanks for the feedback folks!

@ Chris, I’m really sorry to hear about the troubles with the site. It was tested in two different sites, and poked by two different team members and it worked as expected. Of course testing this in a staging site is not the same as doing it in a live site with other different plugins and configs (server, php, etc, etc). If you want to give this a try in a staging / development site (safe from affecting your site audience), I’d be happy to continue to work with you. Next step after setting up a new site (many hosting environments offer one-click installs or custom tools to easily spin up a test site), would be to install just our plugins (latest versions) and the snippet. Then with WP_DEBUG set to true, check if the error with the checkin occurs and get the description of the error. From there we can work on fixing the snippet.

@ Dirk, thanks for pointing the opening PHP tag thing, I think I mentioned the same previously but in a private reply. It might conflict with other extensions or code although I’m not sure why. Anyway stoked to hear it’s working for you, and please let me know if you have further feedback.

Just to round up things a bit, as explained above is not easy to work this type of issue for us. First because it falls on the terrain of custom development and we cannot obviously support code / functionality that’s not built into the plugin. To be clear the snippet is just a patch and a way to get you started to find a custom solution for your site / specific need. All this said I do consider this feature request to be legit and it will be surely valuable to have this in our plugins, and that’s why I’ve already create a feature request ticket to get this into the plugin. I’ve break it down into two parts so it can be addressed in a timely fashion: first part add a couple of filters to redirect the URL of success and failure of the scan and the second part is addressing this concern in a more appropriate way for all users.

Once again thanks for the patience and understanding, let me know your thoughts on this!

Have a great weekend,
    Nico

Chris
    Participant

This reply is private.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • The topic ‘QR Code Scanner’ is closed to new replies.