Pro version running slowly

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Pro version running slowly

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    eastlife
    Participant

Hi there. This is an awesome plugin but the pro version seems to be running significantly slower than the non-pro version on my site. It is slow on the main listings page as well as on individual event post pages.
    I’m hosting the site with wp engine so it shouldn’t be a problem their end.
    When testing I can get the initial page load to about 7.6 secs in the non-pro version but 19.6 secs in the pro version

Pages for comparison:
    Live site: http://www.eastlife.co.uk/event/train-the-troops/
    Staging site: http://eastlife.staging.wpengine.com/event/train-the-troops/

Any help would be much appreciated!

Barry

Hi @eastlife,

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing performance issues. A gulf of 12 seconds, more than doubling that page load, definitely is far from ideal and I’m really surprised to hear that the impact of PRO would be as big as that.

In this case I’m curious about the impact of other components. For instance, depending on the page I was loading, there could be a huge number of “adrotate-impression” ajax requests, each typically consuming more than one second.

There can be a knock-on effect when one component – in effect – consumes more than its fair share of resources. Of course, I have no idea if the plugin responsible for the adrotate requests is at the heart of this, or just one of several factors, but as you have a staging site at your disposal I’d be really interested in finding out what the difference in page load times are like between The Events Calendar and Events Calendar PRO with no other plugins running (and only a default theme, such as Twenty Fifteen).

There certainly will be some difference but my hope would be not nearly as big. Assuming that is the case, it would also be interesting if when you start reactivating other components if you discover a combination of The Events Calendar, Events Calendar PRO plus other plugins that does really widen the gap and slow things down.

Two other pieces of information that would be great are a note of the total number of events on your site and a copy of your system information which you could share by private reply.

Last but not least, we’re always looking at ways to improve performance and things are progressively improving with almost every release – however, hopefully we can find some ways to improve things even a little in the short term, too.

Thanks!

eastlife
    Participant

This reply is private.

eastlife
    Participant

This reply is private.

eastlife
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

Hi @eastlife,

Thanks for sharing that information and for facilitating some testing: typically we do not work on weekends hence I only saw your replies upon logging in this morning – so apologies for any delay on that front.

If you would be able to set it back to a clean environment running The Events Calendar only so I could take a peak, that would be awesome (also, when you do enable PRO please ensure you leave some views other than photo view activated so I can compare things on that level, too – you may even wish to do so yourself (a critical issue there being the complexity of the geo-query that has to run).

Thanks!

eastlife
    Participant

Yep, sorry got distracted with other things. Now whenever I deactivate the events calendar pro I get a 404 page. Even when I reactivate the pro version I still get a 404 page. I’m not sure why that is happening…
    Fortunately this is on a staging server so I can copy from my live site, but it means I cannot provide a non-pro version to demonstrate until I’ve resolved this issue. Frustrating.

I’ve tried to usual stuff like flushing the permalinks but to no avail. Any ideas? How does events calendar set the events page?

eastlife
    Participant

I’ve deactivated ALL plugins and gone back to the 2013 theme on staging. Then reactivated Events Calendar but I’m still getting a 404: http://eastlife.staging.wpengine.com/events/

This is very odd. Should I try uninstalling / reinstalling?

eastlife
    Participant

Actually I think I’ve discovered the issue with the 404 error. I needed to enable one of the views on the display settings page. When I deactivated the Pro version it looks like it unchecked all the views and therefore had nothing to display. I need to get the live version, I now have a CDN issue not delivering the css but that’s my issue not yours. I’ll post again when I’ve got the staging site working again.

Barry

Hi @eastlife,

I think previously you only had photo view enabled (and that is provided by PRO) so deactivating it would mean no views are available – hence the 404.

I’ll wait until you let me know that the staging site is ready (I see it still has your custom theme/various other plugins running) and will take a look then 🙂

eastlife
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

Hi @eastlife,

On testing this morning, I’m consistently finding that the production site (with PRO) loads within 2-3 seconds as compared to around 6 seconds for the staging site (without PRO), so the impression is the opposite of what you’ve outlined. Of course, there could be a number of factors at play and naturally it doesn’t mean that PRO makes things faster – since each server could have different resources and load, amongst other things.

As outlined previously, what I’d love to do is temporarily strip your staging site down so it is running only The Events Calendar and nothing else (it should be set to use a default theme). Would that be possible and can you let me know once it is in that state? Let’s then take a look at that before moving on to activating PRO.

That way, we isolate things and eliminate a variety of other factors.

eastlife
    Participant

Yep okay it’s all stripped back as outlined: http://eastlife.staging.wpengine.com/events/

I noticed I’ve been looking at these pages while logged in. I started using the incognito window in Google Chrome and noticed that it is substantially quicker for visitors (not logged in). As long as it is speedy for visitors then maybe this is all less of an issue.

Anyway have a look at the new site.

Thanks for the help!

Barry

Hmm – perhaps a query that only runs for authenticated or admin-level users is the culprit, then?

So in my own bit of testing I’m finding 1-2 seconds are shaved off the load time on your staging site while it is in this state. Can you continue by reactivating Events Calendar PRO (but, with the exception of The Events Calendar, please once again leave everything else deactivated)? We can then assess the kind of impact it is having.

eastlife
    Participant

Okay, PRO is now activated

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘Pro version running slowly’ is closed to new replies.