I wasn’t able to replicate this exactly, but I was able to find a related bug: https://cl.ly/092C053w403n
Possibly fixing this would fix your issue as well.
I marked this thread as Pending Fix, which means it should receive a reply once the applicable fix has been released. I cannot guarantee when it will be fixed as it’s in the development team’s hands now. They need to assign it, code it, test it, and schedule it for release.
I apologize for this issue and appreciate your understanding and patience.
Thanks for passing this on. I tested it on your demo site and I’m running into the same issue.
Here’s a screen cast showing:
- Event filters selected
- Filtered results displaying properly
- Refreshed page
- Filter bar is populated with correct event category but all results are displayed
I’ve decided to implement a really sketchy fix until this is actually patched.
If parameters appear in the URL of the event calendar page then I submit the #tribe_events_filters_form form after a short delay. This forces the calendar to run the filtering again and it gets it right.
Just wanted to share with you that a new maintenance release (for the Week of 5 March 2018) is out, including a fix for this issue 🙂
Please update the plugins and let us know if the fix works for your site.
Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.
Thanks so much!
The Events Calendar Support Team
The topic ‘Pre-filter events’ is closed to new replies.