Plugin Not Respecting Symlinks

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Plugin Not Respecting Symlinks

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Cliff
    Participant

All CSS/JS assets are 404ing after the latest update. Did something change in loading the assets that wouldn’t follow symlinks? I’ve never had this issue before with your plugins, but this has unfortunately broken almost all functionality.

Cliff
    Participant
    Cliff
    Participant

I’m currently fixing it with something like this, but that’s not sustainable:

add_filter( 'tribe_asset_pre_register', 'myprefix_tribe_asset_pre_register' );

function myprefix_tribe_asset_pre_register($asset) {

$asset->url = str_replace('/home/username/public_html/shared/', content_url() . '/', $asset->url);

return $asset;

}
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Cliff.
    Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for reaching out! I’m sorry you are having this symlink issue after the update! Let me try to help you with that.

Until now we haven’t heard any reports of that issue.

Could you try to run a test for conflicts? Here is a guide for that (https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/testing-for-conflicts/) and see if that can narrow down the cause of this?

Basically what you need to do is switch of all plugins, except for the Modern Tribe ones and switch to a default theme like twentysixteen. Let me know the result of this.

Thanks and cheers,
    Andras

Cliff
    Participant

I can confirm that it still happens, even with the default theme enabled and all other plugins disabled.

I’m fairly certain the plugin has started making an incorrect assumption about <i>where</i> the plugins directory is on the server, which is caused by not properly following the symlinks. I’ve helped many plugins with this—since doing so is fully supported by WordPress—but this problem is new as of 4.3 with this plugin. 🙂

Things start breaking down with the maybe_get_min_file() function. It’s trying to detect a Windows hosting environment, but that logic doesn’t appear to account for symlinks.

Andras
    Keymaster

Hey Cliff,

Thanks for the testing and sharing the details I will reach out to our devs to take a look into this. Please hang in there.

Cheers,
    Andras

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Cliff,

I talked to one of the developers who will take a look at this issue with a high priority. I ask for a bit of patience on your side. Thanks!

Andras

Cliff
    Participant

Any updates? I saw a new version get pushed, but didn’t see anything in the changelog related to this.

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Cliff,

I checked the bugticket, there is a developer assigned to the issue, but there is no release date yet set for the fix. It is still on high priority (not highest) so I would expect the next MR or the one after that.

I’m sorry I cannot give you any better news at the time. Thanks for your patience and understanding!

Cheers,
    Andras

George
    Participant

Hello!

I wanted to share that we’ve just published The Events Calendar 4.3.5, which includes improvements to the handling of symlinks and which may help with some of the issues reported here.

You can learn more about the release on this page → https://theeventscalendar.com/maintenance-release-the-events-calendar-4-3-5-event-tickets-4-3-5-and-premium-plugins/

Cheers!
    George

Cliff
    Participant

Thanks, George!

Is there any way to point me to the commit(s) in GitHub so I can see how it was handled?

George
    Participant

Hey Cliff,

I don’t have specific commits on hand, but if you search through The Events Calendar’s pull requests on GitHub, you’re likely to find the relevant changes: https://github.com/moderntribe/the-events-calendar/pulls

I hope this helps!
    George

George
    Participant

Hey Cliff,

My mistake—you’ll actually find the relevant commits in Tribe Common, not in The Events Calendar directly (The Events Calendar, like all of our plugins, uses Tribe Common).

This is the specific pull request containing a fix for these issues: https://github.com/moderntribe/tribe-common/pull/304

— George

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Plugin Not Respecting Symlinks’ is closed to new replies.