Performance Issues

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Performance Issues

• This topic has 7 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Susan Bowman.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Susan Bowman
    Participant

I was asked to start a new thread with this information instead of including it in the thread it was originally posted in. I was told I could copy/paste it into this one. I’m actually not sure if this issue is occurring in code for TEC, TEC-Pro, or EA but here is the information:

I am adding this information I have just received my hosting company as well. I’m not sure what category this new information fits into, but I have been having a lot of performance issues with my site that I thought had to do with hosting. They have spent the last week working with me and while I authorized upgrading plans by two levels, during the process of working on that request they stopped and sent this email information because of a problem that has to do with TEC. I’m copying and pasting from their email here (in entirety)

Hello, I ran a check on the calendar using Query Monitor. It’s flagging a broken query from the plugin. The query is: SELECT DISTINCT 859_posts.*, MIN(859_postmeta.meta_value) as EventStartDate, MIN(tribe_event_end_date.meta_value) as EventEndDate FROM 859_posts LEFT JOIN 859_postmeta as tribe_event_end_date ON ( 859_posts.ID = tribe_event_end_date.post_id AND tribe_event_end_date.meta_key = ‘_EventEndDate’ ) WHERE 1=1 AND 859_posts.post_type = ‘tribe_events’ AND (859_posts.post_status = ‘publish’ OR 859_posts.post_status = ‘tribe-ea-success’ OR 859_posts.post_status = ‘tribe-ea-failed’ OR 859_posts.post_status = ‘tribe-ea-schedule’ OR 859_posts.post_status = ‘tribe-ea-pending’ OR 859_posts.post_status = ‘tribe-ea-draft’ OR 859_posts.post_status = ‘private’) ORDER BY EventStartDate DESC, 859_posts.post_date DESC LIMIT 0, 1 The complaint from the query is: Unknown column ‘859_postmeta.meta_value’ in ‘field list’ I believe the problem is because the table name is being joined in as a different name, so instead of “859_postmeta.meta_value” it should be “tribe_event_end_date.meta_value”. This isn’t something you can fix. It’s a problem in the plugin code itself. It could also affect the performance of the page because MySQL has take the time to check and then fail that query. There are two other factors that are affecting performance, one more so than the other. The first is the number of events. The more events, the more data that has to be queried. This is causing for a few slow queries on the page. A recommendation I found on the Modern Tribe forum was to upgrade the hosting account. The person answering assumed the account was on shared hosting, which yours is. In your case, you’re on a plan that has a low number of resources. However, I’m not completely convinced that the hosting plan is the problem in your case. To be sure, I’ve temporarily switched you to the next plan up that provides a higher allotment of various system resources. I’m going to leave it like this for a few days so you can run your site and see if you’re still having problems. From my perspective, the page loads in anywhere from 7-13 seconds, which would be slow for any other page but in your case you have 3400 queries running to make up the data on the calendar page. For the issue with the plugin, I suggest contacting Modern Tribe so they can check into the query and get that corrected. I suspect that it’s affecting everyone who uses the plugin but it may not have been reported yet. I’m going to leave your ticket on hold for now so I can check back in a day or two.

Clearly, this needs to be addressed immediately and not be waiting for a maintenance release down the road. If it is affecting other sites like it is affecting me, it is bad news!!

In the previous thread I was asked what screen this was occurring on. I can’t answer that question since it was the hosting company that found this while trying to fix issues they thought were related to hosting. I would assume you are capable of running the same tests they mention above and finding the same information since they’ve given the full details.

Nico

Hi there Susan,

Thanks for reaching out to us and sorry for the continued issues using our plugin 🙁

Performance issue are not easy to track, specially if we cannot reproduce the error on our side. Initially I tried looking for similar issues but I wasn’t able to find any for now.

Can you please ask your hosting provider to indicate in which page this is happening?

Also, it will really help to have some more information on the context of the issue. For that I will need you to perform the following steps:
    – Upgrade the plugins to the latest version (unless a different issue pushes you back from doing so).
    – Complete the Testing for conflicts guide, and check to see if the issue happens with default theme and no other plugins active.

Please let me know about it and I’ll continue to look for the cause of the issue,
    Best,
    Nico

Susan Bowman
    Participant

If you look at the other support tickets I have open (but have been required to open this one separately) you will see I cannot upgrade to the latest version because of all of the known bugs in the latest version. You would also see (as well as I have outlined completely) that I have completed testing for conflicts on numerous occasions. In every instance of issue, it returns to the issue being a “known bug” that is being worked on. But this work has continued and continued and continued with no resolve. In this case for performance, my hosting provider gave you the exact information you need to know for where the error is occuring, right down to the line. So this is really becoming quite ridiculous. If I was not continually asked to start a new thread, you would have more than ample system information and every other piece of information needed to avoid the recurring delays that seem to be about the only thing this plug in has mastered. It is beyond ridiculous. Don’t ask me again for information that has been repeatedly supplied. Just fix the problem. Looking at the forums, I am BY FAR not the only one fed up with this situation.

Nico

This reply is private.

Nico

This reply is private.

Susan Bowman
    Participant

I have moved my website to a new level of hosting and reinstalled all plugins instead of migrating the website. It seems to have solved the performance issue, at least for now. The calendar still loads slowly but that could be due to the number of events. I’ve cleared all of those and starting the reload of events new as well.

Nico

Thanks for the heads-up Susan! Glad to hear the issue is not present anymore.

You might stumbled upon this article before, but just in case it haves some good tips → https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/performance-considerations/

I’ll go ahead and close out this thread, but if you need help with anything else please don’t hesitate to create a new one and we will be happy to assist you.

Best,
    Nico

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Performance Issues’ is closed to new replies.