Parent Category Calendar not displaying Children

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Parent Category Calendar not displaying Children

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    fortgordonmwr
    Participant

Hi there! So here’s the issue; basically, when I view my calendar under a parent category, I am not able to see any of the children categories for that parent.

This is the same issue I saw addressed in a previous discussion (HERE: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/calendar-for-all-children-categories/). In this discussion, by Barry’s response, it sounds like this issue was addressed as of version 3.5, but it doesn’t seem to be working for me.

I’m using the latest version of TEC Pro (Version 3.8.1). I’ve spend a great deal of time setting up my categories and would love to take advantage of the same Parent/Child category views that WordPress offers on our calendar. Please let me know if there is a solution for this problem.

Geoff

Hi there, Nathan! Thanks for getting in touch and sorry you’re hitting some trouble here. Let’s see if we can figure it out here together. 🙂

It sounds like you’ve created Parent Event Categories that contain Child Event Categories and would like those Child Event Categories to display on the archive page for the Parent Category. Is this correct?

If so, that’s a little bit different than the issue covered in the thread you referenced. The issue there was that there was no calendar view for a Child Event Category. The fix we released for it established a calendar view for Child Event Categories. For example: [your-site]/[event-slug]/category/[parent-category/[child-category]. That view was not previously possible before that fix in 3.5.

If I’m understanding you correctly, you’re looking for a way to display the Child Event Category links on the Parent Event Category pages. I’m afraid we don’t support that feature just yet, but it would be great if you suggested it on our UserVoice page as a feature to consider in an upcoming release.

One possible workaround is to modify the default-template.php file and output the Child Categories using when viewing on a Category page.

Let me know if that helps answer your question and is what you’re looking for. 🙂

Cheers!
    Geoff

fortgordonmwr
    Participant

Thank you for your quick response!
    Yes, that is what I’m trying to do. I’m not exactly sure where to start though, I’m still not completely familiar with the way this plugin works. So are you saying that the default-template.php file is where the query is made that brings in the list of events? Because it’s not clear to me when viewing this file. I’m familiar with creating conditional arrays in WordPress, but I’m not really sure where it needs to be done. Can you please clarify?

Geoff

Hey there, Nathan! Thanks for following up. 🙂

Great question. I do want to note first of all, though, that we are fairly limited in terms of helping out with custom development questions like this one. That said, we’d love to point you in the right direction if we can.

Yes, the default-template.php file is customizable, but it’s not directly making the call for categories. Instead, that is where you can add your own code to grab the child categories and position them where you would like in relation to the elements in the template.

If you haven’t checked it out, I’d suggest heading over to our Themer’s Guide. It will walk you through all the steps for customizing plugin templates without touching core files. Plus, it gives a handy overview of all the templates available to customize. That should give you some ammo for zeroing in on the options you have for dropping in your custom code.

I can also point you toward this snippet. It’s a good example of all the conditional statements you can use to ensure that the child categories output only on the pages you would like.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction! Let me know if you have any follow-up questions and I’d be happy to try to answer as best I can. 🙂

Cheers!
    Geoff

fortgordonmwr
    Participant

Thanks for your help!

Geoff

My pleasure! Thanks again for getting in touch and working with us.

I’m going to go ahead and close this thread, but please feel free to hit us up with a new thread if any other questions pop up. We’d be happy to help. 🙂

Cheers!
    Geoff

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Parent Category Calendar not displaying Children’ is closed to new replies.