Calendar for All Children Categories

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Calendar for All Children Categories

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    materdeiknights
    Participant

I have a category structure that looks like:

– Athletics
    — Basketball
    — Soccer
    -Activities
    — Model UN
    — Student Government

I know I can create a view of a single category by making the url in the format http://materdeiknights.org/events/category/soccer-boys/month/ but I want when I query the parent category, http://materdeiknights.org/events/category/athletics/month/ to also show all the events from the child categories (in this example the athletics search should include the soccer events.

How can I do this?

materdeiknights
    Participant

Anyone have any ideas?

Andy Fragen

Does adding both ‘Athletics’ and ‘Soccer’ categories to the Soccer events get you there?

materdeiknights
    Participant

That’s a possible workaround, but if the end-user forgets to add the parent category then the system fails. There SHOULD be a way to do this!

Andy Fragen

You could always tell the end user to make sure to also select the parent category for every child category they select.

Rob

Good suggestion, Andy. Might that help materdeiknights? Is there anything else you need from us on this point for now?

materdeiknights
    Participant

Rob, That is not a reasonable request for our authors. Please let us know how to change the category page to show all events assigned to children categories.

Andy Fragen

materdeiknights, see if the Parent Category Toggler plugin will do what you need.

Leah

Hi materdeiknights, I just wanted to check in here and see if you got a chance to check out the plugin Andy recommended?

~Leah

materdeiknights
    Participant

Leah,

It is a moderate workaround, but not a solution. There is no reason that we should have to check two boxes.

Gavin

Andy Fragen

Gavin, did you install and try out the recommended plugin above? From what it describes all your user has to do is select the child category and the parent category or categories are automatically selected. The plugin ensures that the parent category is always selected.

Can you describe your ideal solution?

Rob

Thanks for the solution, Andy! That looks like it should do the trick nicely for Gavin here.

Gavin: you raise a good point as to the fact that this should be built-in functionality. You’re admittedly one of the first folks I’ve seen request it – but if you raise it over at our UserVoice page (http://tribe.uservoice.com) it would definitely be helpful. Other users who see value in ideas can vote them up there, and we’ll ultimately be using the most popular ideas to guide our development roadmap!

materdeiknights
    Participant

Andy, Having to have a plugin to “automatically” pick the parent category in the UI just feels hacky. This defeats the point of parent/child categories. If I MUST choose the parent when I click the child, why have the parent at all?

Additionally, I have been creating categories with only the child categories selected, with the assumption that this calendar view would be available at some point. This plugin does not work on events that have already been created.

Further, I want to have SOME events that ONLY apply to the parent category, but still want to either show a calendar of JUST the events categorized as the parent category OR a calendar of all events in the parent and children. This is just how it’s supposed to work.

Rob, thanks for the comment. I’ll add this on the uservoice, but have to admit that I’m very disappointed that The Events Calendar Pro does NOT support parent/child category views per WordPress standards.

materdeiknights
    Participant
    Rob

Hi there materdknights. Thanks for posting that; I definitely can see your point here and honestly we really should be following the same behavior WordPress uses. Since this looks like a relatively minor lift I’ve got it logged in our ticket as something to check out for one of our next two maintenance builds (after the one coming this week). No guarantees since there may be logistical challenges to incorporating it, but I’m optimistic.

Thanks again for the feedback and ideas. Sorry for putting you in a tough spot in the interim.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Calendar for All Children Categories’ is closed to new replies.