Not Publishing Event?

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Not Publishing Event?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    mental
    Participant

Not sure if this is related in any way to my othert problem here > https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/event-categories-not-carried-through/#post-21716

When someone submits an event I get an email with a link in it to review it, I review it and click update I was expecting that to make the event “Published” and for it to appear on the calendar but it doesn’t, have I missed something?

I have to login into the admin and do it via the standard Dashboard > Events > Edit Events > Find the event > Edit Event > Click Publish = Painful…

Is that how it works for everyone?

Joyce Grace

Hi Jason, you click “update” in WordPress, or in the e-mail you get? You will definitely need to be logged in to WordPress to make any changes to an event, including to “Publish” it, or “Update” it.

What I’m not sure of is where you’re clicking on “update” and expecting it to be published. Can you clarify?

mental
    Participant

Yes I was expecting to be able to publish it without having to all the way through the WordPress admin, may be it should be a feature request? I was hoping it was as simple as the email comes in, I click the link to review it, then have the option to make live/edit/delete.

Cheers, Jason

Joyce Grace

Hi Jason,
    That is a very unusual scenario to me. Events in the events calendar are actually posts, the same as WordPress blog posts, but they are of a separate “type” (they use WordPress Custom Post Types). So in order for that to change, I would think WordPress would need to change the way its posts are handled, and I highly doubt WordPress would allow editing of a post in an e-mail, in this context. It would not be the most secure thing to have set up. So unfortunately for now you’ll always need to be logged in to approve and publish an event.

mental
    Participant

I think I may need to explain myself again 🙂
    1. Someone anonymously submits an event – through /events/community/add/
    2. The event has a status of “Pending”
    3. The admin gets an email advising of the submission via email, in the email is a link “Review Event” – Clicking on this link takes the admin to /events/community/edit/event/xx/
    4. The admin reviews/updates the submitted event,and clicks on the “Update Event” button at the bottom of the page.
    5. The event is updated with the changes the admin made BUT the status of the event is still “Pending”
    6. To make the event live the admin must go into the WordPress backend and navigate to the event to change the status from “Pending” to “Published”.

It’s Step 6 that I’m surprised is needed, I expected clicking update on step 5 would make the event live, rather than me having to go through step 6, if I cannot make the event live from step 5 then I may as well just login to the WP admin each time I get an email notification as I can’t really achieve what I need to via step 5.

Hopefully that explains things a bit better 🙂

Cheers, Jason

Joyce Grace

Hi Jason, that is a bit clearer. But yes, you need to be an admin to have permission to make an event live. Otherwise anyone visiting your site would be able to do that, and that would be the purpose of setting up the restrictions in your Events Settings. You can change those restrictions if you like, they are under WordPress Settings > The Events Calendar Settings

Grant Bivens
    Participant

Like Jason I am also experiencing this issue in my workflow.

I think what Jason and I would both like to see is in the notification email sent to calendar admins needs to have a direct link to the edit event page in the WordPress backend instead of the review page on the front end. Here is an example of the two links:

Review link in email currently takes you to:
    /events/manage/edit/event/12345/
    That is basically useless if the goal of alerting admins of a new event is to allow them to publish the event (when events are set to be moderated).

Instead the ‘Review Event’ link should go to the following url:
    /wp-admin/post.php?post=12345&action=edit

To solve this issue for the time being I have hacked a core file within the community events plugin. If anybody needs to use this fix for themselves here it is:

In /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar-community-events/lib/tribe-community-events.class.php

I commented out line 1260 and added a new line below it. Here is what mine looks like:

/* $message .= ” . $this->getEditButton( $post, __( ‘Review Event’, ‘tribe-events-community’ ) ); */
    $message .= ‘Review Event‘;

Where http://www.example.com is your domain.

I know there is probably a better way to get the blog url but this works great for me. It’s been a long day and I’m satisfied with hardcoding my domain in the file for now. Hopefully this can be fixed in the next version. This should get me by for now.

Grant Bivens
    Participant

Doh, formatting on my code example is off above… I’m not sure what code tags to use on this site so hopefully one of the following will work:

[code][/code]
    /* $message .= ” . $this->getEditButton( $post, __( ‘Review Event’, ‘tribe-events-community’ ) ); */
    [code][/code]

/* $message .= '' . $this->getEditButton( $post, __( 'Review Event', 'tribe-events-community' ) ); */
    $message .= 'Review Event';

Sorry if this looks like crap. Moderators please feel free to edit out the ones that aren’t correct. If all those fail here is the code snipped on pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/bgmq9YTP

Grant Bivens
    Participant

Sorry for the multiple posts but I just wanted to clarify that the above code examples are getting jacked up. Please use the code on pastebin: [code][/code]
    [code][/code]

/* $message .= '' . $this->getEditButton( $post, __( 'Review Event', 'tribe-events-community' ) ); */
    $message .= 'Review Event';

Sorry if this looks like crap. Moderators please feel free to edit out the ones that aren’t correct. If all those fail here is the code snipped on pastebin: http://pastebin.com/bgmq9YTP

mental
    Participant

That is basically useless if the goal of alerting admins of a new event is to allow them to publish the event (when events are set to be moderated)

Thanks for that Grant, that’s exactly where I was coming from 🙂

I’ve also installed your “hack” thank you for that, hopefully Modern Tribe get it this time and build it into the next release 🙂

Cheers, Jason

Grant Bivens
    Participant

Good deal… glad you’ve found it useful. Sorry for all the garbage code insertion attempts above. Maybe a mod can clean them up 🙂

Rob

Thanks for the notes here, guys, and to Grant for his suggestion. The way it was built was our intended approach for initial launch (and our beta testers seemed fine with how it worked in the lead up to release)…but that being said, I can see the value in what’s being requested here and Grant’s hack looks pretty slick.

Let me get Jonah to take a quick look and make sure it’s viable for inclusion down the road; if so, I’ll try and get it included in Community 1.0.3 or the following monthly maintenance release. Cheers!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Not Publishing Event?’ is closed to new replies.