Non-AJAX navigation for List view

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Non-AJAX navigation for List view

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Marty
    Participant

Hi there,

Out-of-the-box, ECP uses JavaScript to power the Previous Events / Next Events links at the base of List view. For various reasons, the site I’m working on needs those to be regular, non-JS links.

Last time I tackled this was circa ECP 3.7, and I used tribe_get_past_link() and tribe_get_upcoming_link() as a base, appending “paged” variable and such to get the desired links. Like so:

https://gist.github.com/halfempty/a99abf2c883d88333380

Now I’m updating to 3.9.1 and the behavior of those two functions has changed. Before I go down the rabbit hole of rewriting my functions, are there any functions already in core that will do this job?

Thanks!

Matthew

Howdy Marty – that’s a solid question!

Disabling Ajax-driven paging on the month and the day view works swimmingly with this tip. But, as you’re experience has shown you, non-Ajax pagination on the list view doesn’t work so well.  The good news is, your code looks pretty good and with a few tweaks I think we may be able to find a solution that should work.  Can you try a few tweaks for me and let me know how they go?

First, make sure this is in your functions.php file:

/**
     * Remove Ajax from The Events Calendar Pagination on List View
     * @3.8
     */
    add_action('wp_print_scripts', 'events_calendar_remove_scripts' , 10);
    function events_calendar_remove_scripts() {
      wp_dequeue_script( 'tribe-events-list');
    }

Next, try tweaking your spellerberg_* functions to make use of the tribe_get_listview_link() in place of any of the calls to tribe_get_past_link() and tribe_get_upcoming_link().  That function returns the List view URL used by the List view JS to build the previous/next Ajax requests.  My quick test of your functions with that change gave me some promising results!

Does that help point you in the right direction?

Marty
    Participant

tribe_get_listview_link() returns:

/events/category/mycategory/list/

In order to construct the URLs, it looks like the bast I need is:

/events/category/mycategory/

Is there a method that will output that?

Matthew

The events_get_events_link() function should return the events link sans /list/. Let me know if that works for you!

Marty
    Participant

Close, but not quite. It needs to have the current category slug in there, as applicable.

Matthew

Whoops – sorry about that! Fetching that link isn’t something that we have in The Events Calendar as a single functionc all. However, you can retrieve that link using WordPress’ get_term_link() function in conjunction with our tribe_is_event_category() and tribe_meta_event_category_name() functions. With something like this:

// default the link to the base events link
    $link = events_get_events_link();

// if you're on a category page, fetch the base link for it
    if ( tribe_is_event_category() ) {
      $link = get_term_link( tribe_meta_event_category_name(), 'tribe_events_cat' );
    }

Perhaps a bit more than what you were hoping, but it should do what you are looking to accomplish. Let me know how it goes!

Marty
    Participant

Hi. Looks like we’re very close. One thing, though. This line:

`$link = get_term_link( tribe_meta_event_category_name(), ‘tribe_events_cat’ );’

get_term_link() wants either an object, ID or slug, but
    tribe_meta_event_category_name() returns the category name.

What will give us the ID or slug? Thanks!

Matthew

Well shoot, I guess I should have tested that code with a more realistic Event Category name. Sorry about that. Anyhow, give this approach that leverages $wq_query a shot:

global $wp_query;

// default the link to the base events link
    $link = events_get_events_link();

// if you're on a category page, fetch the base link for it
    if ( tribe_is_event_category() && isset( $wp_query->query_vars['tribe_events_cat'] ) ) {
      $link = get_term_link( $wp_query->query_vars['tribe_events_cat'], 'tribe_events_cat' );
    }

Matthew

It has been a while since we’ve traded messages so I’ll go ahead and close this thread for now. If you run into any other issues – feel free to open another thread!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Non-AJAX navigation for List view’ is closed to new replies.