Need to clarify about syncing from ical importer

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Need to clarify about syncing from ical importer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer
    Participant

After reading several forums topics, I am still unclear as to whether the ical importer should be syncing from my URL or if this is not an actual feature of the plug in. It’s crazy to me that I cannot discern this from the documentation. Here is the scenario:

• Importing events from an ical url for a High School’s activities calendar.
    • High School MUST USE external calendar for sports related events (conference games are linked to other schools, etc).
    • When changes in the schedule occur, the event must be changed at the external site.
    • ical importer is set to refresh every hour.
    • Changes do not show up on The Events Calendar.

So my question is: should they? Or is this not part of the plug-ins features?

*note: the url listed does not show ical importer. That is on my local dev site at this point.

George
    Participant

Hey @Jennifer,

I’m sorry for some of the confusion here – the event changes made on the external site should, indeed, be appearing on your local site after it runs the hourly iCal Importer.

To test if that functionality works at all, do the changes made on the external site show up if you MANUALLY do an iCal Import?

Next, can you share your system information with us? Here’s how to do that → https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/sharing-sys-info/

Finally, can you clarify what you wrote here:

*note: the url listed does not show ical importer. That is on my local dev site at this point.

There is no URL in your reply at all, so I’m not sure what you mean by this comment. Can you please clarify what you mean?

Thanks for reading all of this – if you address each of the three things I listed above, we’ll be in a great spot for further troubleshooting here.

Thanks!
    George

Jennifer
    Participant

This reply is private.

George
    Participant

Thanks for your update here and for your patience, @Jennifer!

It seems like the problems boil down to this:

• An event will be imported from your remote events feed into your WordPress site.
    • That event will have some detail modified on its original remote listing.
    • Upon the next scheduled import, this detail is not updated on the existing WordPress-imported event; rather, a new duplicate version of the event is imported altogether.

Is that an accurate summary? I’m sorry about my questions, I just want to be 100% certain I know what you’re asking about so I can best be of help 🙂

Sincerely,
    George

Jennifer
    Participant

That is correct with the exception of “Upon the next scheduled import, this detail is not updated on the existing WordPress-imported event; rather, a new duplicate version of the event is imported altogether.”

I do not get a duplicate of the event unless I manually reimport the feed. When I do that, it will see the event as having been changed (I have also tested changing the time) and duplicate it. However, when it automatically checks for new info, it does nothing. The only thing that I see that has changed is in the admin: The last item in the column changed from 1 to 2, but it did not duplicate the event and indeed if I click on that number (as it is a hyperlink) it only shows one event.

This is what I see on that page:
    Saved Recurring Imports
    http://www.mnriverconference.org
    edit
    Girls Basketball Parent Meeting Activities November 9, 2015 November 10, 2015 07:03 Once Hourly 2

George
    Participant

Thank you for this @jennifer!

Unfortunately we have a few reports of problems with duplicates and with scheduled imports so I will have to dig deeper on this to see what the problems are – I’m sorry I don’t have a concrete answer yet!

Stay tuned, I am investigating this and will share if I can find out what is happening.

Cheers!
    George

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Need to clarify about syncing from ical importer’ is closed to new replies.