Need to alter text added to top of submission form, but it won't update.

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Need to alter text added to top of submission form, but it won't update.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Angela McFarland
    Participant

Hey guys, a while back you told me how to do an edit to the events.php file and place it a folder in the theme main folder being: Events>Community>event-form.php to do an override and add text to the top of the submit event form.

Worked like a charm, however now the client wants to edit this extra copy, and I find editing the event-form.php file and overwriting the one in that folder has no effect. In fact removing the document and the two special folders also doesn’t flush out the revised .php document. Something needs to be flushed or reset out obviously, any ideas?

Previous thread was here:
    https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/need-to-add-verbiage-to-the-top-of-the-submit-your-event-form/#post-43564

Thanks so much,

Tony

Casey
    Participant

Tony,
    If you’re editing your events.php file, it should just be in the following directory: ‘YOUR_THEME_DIR/events/’. Only the Community template files should reside in ‘YOUR_THEME_DIR/events/community/’.

Can you verify that events.php resides in the ‘events’ directory and event-form.php resides in the ‘community’ directory?

Angela McFarland
    Participant

Hey Casey,

Yes the form that’s been altered is the event-form.php file in the theme>events>community directory. Just to add to the top of the submission form. Worked fine first time, but updating that file has no effect. When I remove the folders from the theme folder all together the old altered form stays put. Also it’s a child theme, I tried moving the folders to the parent and deleting hem from the child and also doesn’t update the changes. Very odd. Where else could it be pulling the edited form from other than where we placed it? Seems like its gotten embedded somewhere else but I don’t see how. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

Casey
    Participant

Tony,
    The only other possibility is that it’s been edited in the actual plugin directory. Take a look there and see if that’s the case.

Angela McFarland
    Participant

Casey,

I’ve looked at the events-form.php in the-events-calendar-community-events>views and it is unchanged. The version it theme>events>community is.

What’s really odd is if I remove the new events folder and the contents altogether from the theme folder, the edited form stays there. This is the only instance in which I have tinkered with any of the .php files as well.

I’m perplexed, any ideas?

Thanks,

Tony

Casey
    Participant

Tony,
    Do you have any caching plugins installed? That’s the only other possible way that the modified form could still be displaying, unless the code has been placed somewhere else.

Angela McFarland
    Participant

I was just about to write you back, the previous web guy who left and we didn’t get a good run down on what he had done does in fact have W3 total cache installed, I have to try to figure how to empty all the caches i guess and hope that does the trick. Turning off that plugin doesn’t do it. I’m a little dubious about them even having caching on the site as it will have onsite ecommerce soon. I will endeavor to try and clear the caches and let you know. Thanks pal.

Tony

Angela McFarland
    Participant

Hey Casey,
    Following up. Alas nothing seems to flush out the old edit to the .php override on the submission form, which I can confirm is in the right place, in the correct subdirectory, and the .php in the plugins is unaltered. I suspect as you do its the cache plugin, however clearing all the caches and/pr turning off that plugin have no effect.

I’m assuming I should uninstall the cache plug in altogether. However if you have no other ideas about what it could be I wondered if I might also unistall and then reinstall the events plugins to flush them out and start fresh. Problem there is they have a great deal of events already listed. Is there a way to reboot the events plugins so to speak without losing any of the data?

Thanks, sorry for the complications, you all have been very helpful.

Tony

Casey
    Participant

Tony,
    I would suggest just de-activating the plugin(s), delete the plugin directories, and then re-install them. Your data should remain in-tact (I would perform a DB backup first, just to be sure though).

Do you have any parent themes where the views might have also been copied? You could also try searching your server for event-form.php to see if it resides somewhere else. That’s the only other thing I could think of to do.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Need to alter text added to top of submission form, but it won't update.’ is closed to new replies.