Move Events from One Site to Another?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Move Events from One Site to Another?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Williams
    Participant

I am working on a new site (www.brewridgetrail.com/new). I am have The Events Calendar on the current version of the site (www.brewridgetrail.com) with a ton (5,000-ish) events. I keep trying to export/import into the plugin on the new site via the WP interface, but I get repeated errors (full details of errors in word doc here, in case you’re curious: https://www.dropbox.com/s/41oxzdk95dsstes/ERROR%20500.docx?dl=0). I’ve contacted my host and they are no help.

Is there any other way to get all of my events from one site to the other?

Please help — this is the only thing in the way of our launch.

Thank you,
    Jennie

Geoff B.

This reply is private.

Jennifer Williams
    Participant

Hi Geoff –

Good news: I tried transferring 500 at a time and it solved the Error 500 issue!

Bad news: Events are still not transferring properly.

It looks like there is something going on with the recurring events my client has set up. They show up with no year. It’s really quite odd. Is there anyone who can help with this?

Geoff B.

Good evening Jennifer,

I am glad to hear we are making some progress with this.

As a side note, we just released our import from another website tool via Events Aggregator. You might want to look into that as an option.

Please note that both calendar need to be at the latest version of our plugin for this to work.

As for the recurring events not working properly, it’s hard to say for sure what is going on at this point.

There might be 3 things worth trying (after a database backup of course):

1. Making sure both sites are using the same settings for time and date formats (both for the Events Calendar and for WordPress)
    2. Re-saving the faulty recurring event to see if that regenerates it properly
    3. Using our recurring events cleanup tool: https://theeventscalendar.com/extensions/recurring-event-cleanup-tool/

Let me know how that goes.

Best regards,
    Geoff B.

Jennifer Williams
    Participant

Thanks, Geoff.

I think the issue is coming from the way the recurring events are showing up in the old site’s database. We put them in as recurring, but then they’re showing up as individual events (see Picture1). Even more confusing, when you click into any event (I did the top one in Picture 1 that indicates Dec. 29), the date is different (see Picture2).

This could be causing the issue, right?

Should I try Events Aggregator? Or see if we can figure this out first?

Geoff B.

Good evening Jennifer,

Thank you for your answer.

I think the issue is coming from the way the recurring events are showing up in the old site’s database.

That is possible.
    The display here: https://theeventscalendar.com/content/uploads/2017/05/b90cf7534daed07f.png is a bit odd.

This could be due to:

1. Some template customization regarding recurring events that needs some updating. It is typically found either in the functions.php file of your theme or in it’s  /tribe-events/ folder.

A quick test would be to temporarily revert back to a default WordPress theme such as twenty-sixteen and see if the display is better.

2. Something might have gone wrong at the CRON job level when the recurring events were updated over time. Re-saving a recurring event usually solves this.

With that in mind, the rest of your user experience is “normal”.

What I mean by that is that by default, clicking on any event of an event series will have you edit the whole series.

However, when you hover over one event, you also get the option to edit the single occurrence (that specific date). Clicking on “Edit single” will bring you to the correct date.

I would definitely try the above before Event Aggregator.

Let me know how that goes.

Best regards,
    Geoff B.

Jennifer Williams
    Participant

So, it looks like you’re right about the theme causing the issue. I temporarily switched to Twenty Fifteen and the events look normal (see Picture4).

However, when I logged in to my new site (www.brewridgetrail.com/new), which uses a completely different theme, this (see Picture3) is what the calendar input section looks like. It’s not showing the option to recur – any idea why that is? I couldn’t find anything in settings and even when switching to Twenty Sixteen it’s not there.

Geoff B.

This reply is private.

Jennifer Williams
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

This reply is private.

Jennifer Williams
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

This reply is private.

Jennifer Williams
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

This reply is private.

Jennifer Williams
    Participant

Sorry about that. You should have administrator access now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The topic ‘Move Events from One Site to Another?’ is closed to new replies.