month view – not recognising tag

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO month view – not recognising tag

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sally Richardson
    Participant

Hi – in our csv file we include the excerpt with html tags for formatting. Most of our events have lists of music being played – so the formatting is important.
    Example:

Daniel Rowland (violin), Nick Korth (horn) and Julian Milford (piano)<br>Schumann Adagio and Allegro op. 70<br>Ravel Habanera<br>Poulenc Elegie for Horn and Piano<br>Debussy Sonata for Violin and Piano<br>Brahms Trio for Violin, Horn and Piano in E flat major, Op. 40

For concert with url:

Maidenhead Music Society: Berkshire

We realise we have to use the excerpt as well as the description, so that the formatting is not stripped out in list view etc.

The problem:
    The above works fine everywhere except in Month view when you pass the mouse over an event. It seems to use the html tags ( well strong for bold anyway!) APART FROM <br> ? If, however, the excerpt has actual line breaks it works fine. The trouble then, however, is that other applications (like events calendar newsletter) don’t work well as they need the <br> tags to correctly format the event’s description in the newsletter/output – so I can’t really abandon them!

Bug or feature??1 Thanks!

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Tashmina Artists,

Thanks for reaching out with your question concerning excerpts.

Well, since you asked it that way, it’s a feature. 🙂

But seriously, this  is something we heard about before.

Unfortunately there is not much that can be done about this.

I recommend these 2 articles for reading, which might shed some more light on the case:

https://theeventscalendar.com/the-trouble-with-excerpts/

https://theeventscalendar.com/under-the-hood-filtering-excerpts-events-calendar/

Please read them, and if you have any questions afterwards, I’ll be most happy to answer them for you.

Cheers,
    Andras

Sally Richardson
    Participant

Hi and thanks for your help. Sorry if I was not clear enough but let me explain:

I AM already using manual excerpts. ie “The only solution for now is to use “manual” excerpts if you need to preserve HTML.” because we read these articles a while back and understood the need to use manual excerpts in order to keep the html.
    My problem is very specific to the <br> tag. Other tags stay in place and using the manual excerpts works in every way apart from making a new line.
    I attach a screen shot of a sample event in admin/edit.
    I did test it very carefully before posting the first time – and as I mentioned for example seems to stay put but <br> does not!
    I hope I have made this a little clearer now? Are you able to help? How do people start a new line using html to get their events to format nicely? I seems to need a physical carriage return to be used in the Excerpt box as well as the <br> tag but how I can get our csv file to format the excerpt box in this way is somewhat beyond me! I can take advice on that side of things but it is weird that <br> does not get recognised when other tags ARE recognised in this box….
    Thank you! Hope you can help?!

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello again,

I do understand the issue at hand, thanks for clarifying.

There is a limitation to exceprts, which is the following. The excerpts are usually cut after a number of characters. Simply that is how they are done in WordPress.

If there are any HTML tags left in the excerpt, e.g. <br/> for a new line, then this might be cut in half and leave only <br without the closing tag, and that can lead to formatting issues.

This is why most html tags and shortcodes are removed from the excerpt.

I hope this clarifies the issue at hand.

It might be possible to get the full range of html tags in the excerpt / the event tooltip in month view with some customization work, but unfortunately we are limited in supporting customization requests.

I’m sorry I cannot provide you a solution for this. I can share with you though a list of developers who might be able to help you out with this.

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/find-a-customizer/

I hope this helps. Let me know if there’s anything else I can help with.

Cheers,
    Andras

Sally Richardson
    Participant

Hi – thanks very much but I am worried that we are still talking at cross purposes – isn’t the whole point that manual excerpts retain their html tags?

To quote WordPress.org:

“How to add excerpts to posts
    To add an excerpt to a post, simply write one in the Excerpt field under the post edit box. An excerpt can be as short or as long as you wish. Usually, given its purpose, a couple of sentences is fine.

If adding the excerpt manually, you may use (some) HTML formatting and the tags will not be stripped.”

Or perhaps the clue is in the “some”?

Thanks!

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello again,

Yes, the clue is in the “some”.

You can try to change how excerpts are done either with a plugin like this or with some custom coding like this.

There are surely some other solutions out there, try a search like “preserve html tags in wordpress excerpt”.

Note, that these have not been tested by us, so I cannot guarantee that they will work, nor do we provide support for them.

Let me know if this solves your issue.

Cheers,
    Andras

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘month view – not recognising tag’ is closed to new replies.