Make a specific Calendar catagory private

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Make a specific Calendar catagory private

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Phil
    Participant

Could I do something to make a certain category of events only visible to logged in users? If so, how could I go about doing it?

Rob

Hey Phil. Thanks for reaching out; are you saying you want it to be totally inaccessible (ie if a user went to try and access that category via direct URL, they’d specifically be given a 404 or error message)? Or are you just looking to hide the categories from appearing on the frontend for certain users.

My first suggestion would be to see if a third-party role manager plugin (I know a number of our users rely on them) could do the trick; but let me know if I misunderstood what you’re going for here and I can adjust my response as needed. Cheers!

Phil
    Participant

I want to have a category called Private Events that when put in that category wouldn’t show on the calendar to site guests, but would appear on the calendar to logged in users.

Rob

Thanks for confirming, Phil. Not sure how doable this is (you may want to look into third-party plugins that can allow for this) but I’ve asked a dev to take a look and try to point you in the right direction. Stay tuned!

Phil
    Participant

Thanks. I am building a site for a church and they have small groups meetings they want to put on the calendar, but they don’t want guests being able to see their member’s home addresses and phone numbers.

Rob

Gotcha. We haven’t forgotten about this; support has been a bit backlogged as we’re down a man this month but I should be able to get you a response here shortly. Thanks for your patience, Phil.

Barry

Hi Phil. I’ve put together a filter function which you can see here:

http://pastebin.com/7e80ydaP

What I would suggest is placing that within your theme’s functions.php file – all you need to do is change value of $eventCategory (inside the function) and replace it with the slug or name of the category you are planning on using.

If you need any further help with this or can’t get the code to work please just let me know!

Phil
    Participant

Works like a charm. Only problem is if I update my theme framework, won’t I lose my customization?

Phil
    Participant

Also discovered that Private events don’t show up in calendar view, but they Do in list view though 🙁
    http://fredpres.allsaintsmedia.com/events/upcoming

Rob

Thanks for the follow-up, Phil. Not sure if Barry saw your last note but I’ve passed this back his way just to be safe. Stay tuned.

Barry

Yeah sorry Phil, I must have missed your reply. Give me a sec to look over this.

Barry

Hey Phil.

Regarding the possibility of losing the customization when your theme updates, a possible way of dealing with this is to place the additional code in a child theme – that said, the best thing here is to read up on your theme framework’s documentation and see what the framework authors suggest, I’m sure they have a strategy that allows people to safely customize their themes.

For the “private events” that are showing in the upcoming events list I’m afraid I’m going to have to pass this one up the chain – I think we could do this with another filter however I’d rather pull in advice from an expert on this one.

If you bear with me I will see if I can get some help from one of the core devs.

Thanks!

Phil
    Participant

Any Hope Barry?

Barry

I haven’t heard anything so far – but I’ll follow up early next week if that’s ok. The team is pretty busy and this is a fairly specific customization – but give us a little more time and we’ll see what we can do.

Andy Fragen

Barry, an idea to make sure these customizations survive theme updates is to put it in your own little plugin. Activating the plugin will ensure the code loads and any theme updates won’t affect it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • The topic ‘Make a specific Calendar catagory private’ is closed to new replies.