Help Desk

Major Problems with Event Imports

Please help: Even with new 1000 license on our multi-site configuration, even having authenticated Facebook API and triple checked it, still getting errors on several versions of our site (will send in private msg) that are preventing calendar from pulling in scheduled imports (see attached). This is a live site and causing problems for thousands of users, need help ASAP.

Note that individual request imports seem to go through fine.

Thanks,
    Scott

This reply has been marked as private.

Hi Scott,

I’m sorry to hear you’re hitting up against difficulties.

I wonder if it would be possible for you to create a test site that is a regular installation rather than a multisite network, use the same key and setup imports from some of the same sources: do you find those work? I’m basically keen to determine if this might be peculiar to your network setup or if it could be a more general problem with the Facebook URLs you are importing from.

Could you also – by private reply – share some of the source URLs you are importing from so we can do further testing on our end?

Thanks!

Hi Scott,

In relation to Event Aggregator import limits: it’s best to think of them as a limit on the number of jobs, rather than a limit on the raw number of imported events, venues or organizers.

theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/event-aggregators-import-limits-work

As an example: if you set up an hourly scheduled import, then each time it runs there will be a ‘hit’ against your daily limit – so 24 hits per day. However, if on each occasion many hundreds of events are pulled in from that source, that’s fine: the volume of event data doesn’t count here.

With regards to your specific problem, I don’t think you are exceeding the limit. We did some checks and it looks like – for some reason – your own site hit our server so many times that some safety mechanisms clicked in and (temporarily) stopped responding. However, that may have been a temporary blip and so long as you are using the latest version of The Events Calendar I’d suggest trying again, letting the imports run and see if things go more smoothly from here on out.

Of course, please let me know if the problem persists.

Hi Scott,

Those screenshots didn’t seem to attach.

I do also appreciate the desire for fast support by phone but, currently, support is primarily delivered here on the forums and phone or live chat based support is not an option for the time being.

We did look at your account and the records of interactions between your site and our servers in more detail, though: what you’re facing seems to follow a pattern triggered by a bug in The Events Calendar that we resolved a few releases back. So far as I can tell, however, you are not currently running the latest version of our plugins — would you be able to upgrade in the first instance?

Let me know if that is possible and if it helps!

Hi Scott,

The plugin you’re looking for is The Events Calendar 🙂

Event Aggregator is a remote service and is not something you can install locally, as such, but The Events Calendar is able to interact with it. So, in this case, you need to update The Events Calendar itself.

Can you update that plugin or confirm if it is already at the latest version?

It’s at the latest version – again, the only update it showed as needed prior was just 4 days old

Well, hopefully, in the Events → Import → History tab we’ll start to see a build up of successful imports, marked be a green “check” icon.

Sorry if I’m missing some via the list of Facebook URLs you supplied earlier – but could you share further URLs for one or two of the failed imports shared in your more recent screenshots?

Thanks for the links!

So I know, what will plugin do, what should I be on the lookout for?

When scheduled import tasks run, there are sensible defaults in place that limit the number of imports which take place. This simply overrides and raises those limits.

In terms of what you should look out for, please continue to monitor the history tab: if we see a decrease in the number of failed imports that would be useful information. On the other hand, if there is no change, that is still useful information for us.

The plugin is to help us troubleshoot – if you could let us know if you see a difference or not after a day or so if it being activated that would be great (and feel free to deactivate and delete it at that point).

Hoping to get a timeframe here ASAP.

I can’t provide an exact timeframe, but we are prioritizing this problem and are actively working on a number of measures that should help us to get to the bottom of this.

This thread hasn’t seen any activity for quite some time and we are not accepting further replies.

If you need further help with this or any other issue, please create a new topic (you can of course include a link to this one if that helps to provide additional context) and one of the team will be only too happy to help.