Issue with Safari Browser

Home Forums Calendar Products Filter Bar Issue with Safari Browser

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Uwe Matern
    Participant

Good evening from Haamburg,

with have an issue with the Safari-Browser. The issue described below does not exist with Firefox and Chrome. All Tested.
    We thought it could be interrelated with our Cache plugin (WP Fastest Cache). Therefore we deactived the cache plugin. But the Safari issue remains.

The issue:

1. First Go to our event page:

https://finde-deinen-malkurs.de/kurse/?tribe_paged=1&tribe_event_display=list&tribeHideRecurrence=1

On the left side the filter bar appears – all fine.

2. Click on any event to see the details on the event page

Example : “Malkurs Erwachsen” (the first one in the list)

3. Click “Zurück” or the “back button” of the Safari Browser

Now you see in the filterbar the fields are empty (normally there should be “Bitte wählen”). If you now select any of the values in any of the filter elements you get the “No Result” – View

Again, it works with Firefox and Chrome but not with Safari – Really bad.

As mentioned we are in the production mode meanwhile and this mis-function is really painfull. Safari runs in the version shown in the screenshot.

Pls help.

Best regards
    Uwe

Cliff

Hi, Uwe.

Thanks for the detailed request.

I’m running the same version of Safari and was able to replicate the issue on my testing site when using the browser’s back button. However, I wasn’t able to replicate the issue by clicking the “All Events” link.

I’ll mark this ticket as Pending Fix, which means this thread should receive a reply once the applicable fix has been released. I cannot guarantee when it will be fixed as it’s in the development team’s hands now. They need to assign it, code it, test it, and schedule it for release.

I apologize for this issue and appreciate your understanding and patience.

===

It seems your site has quite a few customizations in place. For example, copying the ZURÜCK link at your site results in javascript:history.go(-1) being copied to my clipboard. However, it should be https://finde-deinen-malkurs.de/kurse/

You might want to try following these recommended troubleshooting steps for your own site to see if you can get the same result as my testing site:

There might be some new updates available. Could you please make sure all your Modern Tribe plugins (and WordPress core) are at their latest versions?

Once you verify you’re on the latest versions, please test to see if the issue is still happening for you.

If it is, please follow our Testing for Conflicts Guide (basically switch to Twenty Seventeen theme and deactivate all plugins and custom code other than Modern Tribe plugins) and see if that helps narrow down the cause of this.

If it doesn’t, please enable WP_DEBUG and WP_DEBUG_LOG and share any debug messages you see while changing tickets quantity, navigating your site’s home page, events page, single-event pages, and any other of your site’s pages relevant to this ticket.

Then, please share your System Information (while in Testing for Conflicts Mode). That will give me a lot of extra information to help diagnose the problem.

You might also see if you can spot any console errors at your site. (If needed, you may reference our KB article Using Google Chrome Developer Tools.)

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks.

Uwe Matern
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

thanks for your reply.

Yes, please push this ticket in the development queue. Because the “Safari-Implementation” has even more issues. Just as an example: If you come from any filter and if you go in a single event and if you come back and delete your selected filter criteria, the result page is empty and – it results in long running processes. Again, pls try to set priority here.

Regarding the updates: All is running in the latest available version, WordPress and any plugin, including all the tribe ones.

Regarding “Zurück” Button. Yes, that’s true. I took your hint and changed it to the “All events”, but with the extension ?tribe_paged=1&tribe_event_display=list&tribeHideRecurrence=1 – because that’s is our standard (only show the next event for recurring events).

But the our goal would be to have a “Back” or “Zurück” Button, that the user comes back to the original selection (filter etc) he had before he was viewing the single event. More or less the same as the “Back”-Function of the browser.

Thanks in advance for your new answer.

And best regards

Uwe

Cliff

Uwe, I was not able to replicate this other Safari bug you mentioned on my testing site or even on your site.

If you share an annotated screenshot or video screen capture, it might help communicate what you’re seeing and what exactly the issue is.

Uwe Matern
    Participant

Hello Cliff,

thanks for your answer. Here comes the description of the Safari issue. I describe the sequence (in Safari) in the text and attach screenshots accordingly.

1. Call “Kurse” from the Menu: https://finde-deinen-malkurs.de/kurse/?tribe_paged=1&tribe_event_display=list&tribeHideRecurrence=1

2. Klick on the first event in the list: https://finde-deinen-malkurs.de/kurs/malkurs-i-erwachsene/2017-03-07/

3. Push the “Back” arrow of the Safari Browser: https://finde-deinen-malkurs.de/kurse/?tribe_paged=1&tribe_event_display=list&tribeHideRecurrence=1 – Results in screenshot 3.

4. Select in the filter field “Kategorie” the value “Druckgrafik” – Results in 0 events – which is not true because we have several events with this category.

5. If I press the “Refresh button” of Safari it get’s even worse: https://finde-deinen-malkurs.de/kurse/?tribe_paged=1&tribe_event_display=list&tribeHideRecurrence=1&tribe_eventcategory%5B%5D=145&tribe_eventcategory%5B%5D=116&tribe__ecp_custom_11%5B%5D=Öl&tribe__ecp_custom_51%5B%5D=Portrait&tribe_organizers%5B%5D=2221&tribe__ecp_custom_2%5B%5D=Sonja+Schadwinkel&tribe_city%5B%5D=599%2C1251&tribe_venues%5B%5D=2231 (Screenshot 5). Suddenly the sidebar appears! In the filter “Kategorie” an additional value is suddenly selected “Bildende Kunst allgemein” – which was never selected by me.

You see – that’s a really poor behaviour. Would be great to get a solution soon.

Best regards

Uwe

Cliff

Here’s a 2.5 minute video of me reproducing the issue you described: https://cl.ly/0F2A2K283I2t

At the end, it shows that Themenfelder and the other Autocomplete field types get set to something even though I never clicked to those other fields, which is what causes zero results to actually (probably) be true, in which case the bug would be these Autocomplete fields getting set to something.

I haven’t been able to reproduce this issue at our demo site: http://wpshindig.com/events/. Please let me know if you are able to.

Also, you might try changing your Autocomplete fields to a different type (like Dropdown) and see if that resolves the issue on your specific site.

Please let me know how this goes for you.

Uwe Matern
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

thanks again for your reply.

I tried (with the safari browser) your demo-event site.
    I could also here reproduce the issue.

1. First change to list view
    2. Select a value in “tag” – in this case “beer” 😉 – results are shown
    3. Push the back button in safari – no action …
    4. Refresh the site – NO results are shown.

So, seems to be the same.

Best regards
    Uwe

Uwe Matern
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

one thing I forgot – Many Thanks for the video. It exactly shows the problem.

Regards, Uwe

Cliff

I don’t think I was able to replicate that in my Safari: https://cl.ly/0V3i3O0Z1Z1x (no audio but I followed your steps)

If you’re not experiencing the same as my video, maybe try disabling some of your Safari extensions?

Uwe Matern
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

I removed 2 extensions in my safari browser. Test again in your demo-site and I could not really reproduce the issue here. It seemed in one case when I pressed several times the refresh button and was in a single event and came back – the result list was empty. But I could not reproduce it again.

However, I tested it again with our site and the problem still exists. Whenever you visit a single event from the list view and come back – the filter behaves strange.

Would you please confirm that it is acknowledged as a bug and is in the queue for fixing?
    Is there any schedule when such a fix is available for update?

P.S. Your proposal with the dropdowns is not really an alternative because the setup now is much more user-friendly – as we think – for our customers/users.

Best regards
    Uwe

Cliff

Well that’s a bittersweet update… but I’m glad we’re no longer looking down a black hole of Safari issues.

The only confirmed (and therefore internally-logged) bug is for Filter Bar > Safari > Autocomplete field type loses placeholder text after using browser’s Back button

It wouldn’t be considered a bug of the highest priority because there is a workaround (use something other than Autocomplete field type) and another slight factor is because it only applies to one browser.

I’m stating this to be as open and honest as possible to set proper expectations. I’d expect it to be fixed eventually (weeks/months), but not soon (days/weeks).

If I had a quick fix for it, I’d share it now, but I don’t know where to start digging into this one.

Again, this thread should receive a reply once the applicable fix has been released. I apologize for this issue and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Uwe!

Just wanted to share with you that a new maintenance release (for the Week of 2 October 2017) is out, including a fix for this issue 🙂

Find out more about this release → https://theeventscalendar.com/maintenance-release-week-2-october-2017/

Please update the plugins and let us know if the fix works for your site.

Best,
    Victor

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Issue with Safari Browser’ is closed to new replies.