Issue Exporting All Events in a Category

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Issue Exporting All Events in a Category

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    sagewebmaster
    Participant

I found an issue with exporting all events in a given category. A user* requested the ability to import all of our athletics events into a Google calendar via one .ics file. Luckily, I had set up the soccer, volleyball, etc. categories under a parent category name “Athletics”, so I could view them all at this URL:

https://www.sage.edu/events/category/athletics/list/

The file you get when clicking “Export Listed Events” at the bottom of that page, however, doesn’t import into Google calendar properly. Only 20 out of around 100 Events wound up on the Google calendar at all. The ones that did appeared as “all-day” events (which, to me, would be fine), but the events weren’t assigned to the correct dates.

I’m pretty certain this is because many of the events in this category have no end time, and some don’t even have a start time because they are not yet known.

*It was our college President’s husband, naturally.

Cliff

Hi. Sorry you’re experiencing this.

Could you please provide the links to the iCal URLs you’re importing?

Also, please share your System Information. That will give me a lot of extra information to help diagnose the problem.

Finally, you might want to check out our Event Aggregator, which is available via http://betas.theeventscalendar.com/ and may help your situation if your server isn’t keeping up because the imports happen via our server’s processing power.

sagewebmaster
    Participant

This reply is private.

Cliff

Re-reading your initial message, I’m unsure if your issue is regarding exporting events per Event Category or importing events to a specific category; I believe it’s the former, in which case…

Wherever you’re importing from shouldn’t matter. As long as things look right on your calendar and in your wp-admin area, exporting your calendar’s events by category should be easy:

1. Go to an Event Category (e.g. http://wpshindig.com/events/category/wp-meetups/list/?tribe_eventcategory%5B%5D=25)
    2. Make sure you’re in List View
    3. At the bottom right, click Export Listed Events (e.g. http://wpshindig.com/events/category/wp-meetups/list/?tribe_eventcategory%5B%5D=25&ical=1&tribe_display=list)

Which sounds like exactly what you did…

Therefore, I wonder if your Divi theme is altering your posts_per_page argument when getting the events to include in the export. You can try the plugin at our Fix Divi theme pagination problems KB article and see if it helps in this situation.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if it doesn’t.

sagewebmaster
    Participant

That doesn’t help.

First of all, I’m not using the Divi theme. I wonder why you think I am?

This is happening in one category. Others I’ve tried work fine. This category has events with no start and/or end times, so I think the export file isn’t in the properly formatted for importing to a Google calendar. If you export our events at this URL and try importing them to a Google calendar, you’ll see what I mean:

https://www.sage.edu/events/category/athletics/list/

Cliff

Sorry. I must have been looking at another user’s System Information Report.

Please follow our Testing for Conflicts Guide (basically switch to TwentySixteen theme and deactivate all plugins and custom code other than Modern Tribe plugins) and see if that helps narrow down the cause of this.

If it doesn’t, please enable WP_DEBUG and WP_DEBUG_LOG and share any PHP errors you see while changing tickets quantity, navigating your site’s home page, events page, single-event pages, and any other of your site’s pages relevant to this ticket.

Let us know what you find out.

Thanks.

sagewebmaster
    Participant

Thanks for the “support”.

:: eyeroll ::

Cliff

“You’re welcome.” – j/k – I hope we’re just having fun together. 😉

I understand you’re dissatisfied with how this support thread progressed, and I apologize for not meeting your expectations.

To recap, I did test Event Category iCal export links on my local testing site but didn’t experience it being limited. I looked into the code and didn’t see any posts_per_page limitations (but I could have missed something), and I know we’ve had conflicts with Divi overriding posts_per_page arguments. Again, that’s not your issue because you’re not using Divi, but that’s the line of thought I went down. What is your Posts per Page setting at wp-admin > Settings > Reading > “Blog pages show at most” option? Is it set to 20 (since you said only 20 of 100 show up in your site’s export)?

Although I am imperfect, I want to do my best to help you out with this issue. Please feel free to share any feedback about the level of support you’re looking for or where I fell short for you in regards to not seeing this thread through to the end.

Thanks.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Issue Exporting All Events in a Category’ is closed to new replies.