Indexation of thousands pages

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Indexation of thousands pages

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Julien
    Participant

Is there a way to prevent Google from indexing all dated pages ? (One page for a day = thousands pages indexed !)

Rob

Hey Julien. Have you updated? This should be fixed in the new release, as per https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/huge-problem-need-help-right-away/. Let me know if I’ve misunderstood the issue here.

Julien
    Participant

Hey Rob.
    Update fixes the problem of thousand pages with 404 error.
    I would like not to index that pages at all. That pages are not relevant.

Julien
    Participant

I talk abouyt “Single day view”

Rob

Hey Julien. Thanks for confirming. The use of a third party plugin certainly comes to mind, but let me see if our dev Jonah has any suggestions that can point you in the right direction here. Stay tuned.

Jonah
    Participant

Hey Julien, I’m getting some dev advice on this and will get back to you on it.

Joey Kudish

Hi Julien,

As Rob mentioned, I would usually recommend using a third-party plugin such as WordPress SEO by Yoast or the All-in-one SEO plugin.

That being said, you can add the following code to your theme’s functions.php file: https://gist.github.com/1964698 and it will noindex your single event pages.

Hope that helps.

Julien
    Participant

I use this plugin ! It helps for category pages for exemple, but in this case, a single event is not a WordPress based page.

Jonah
    Participant

Hey Julien, if either of the plugins don’t work for you; then the code Joey provided should.

John
    Participant
    Hamish
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Ok, so I’m trying to put the pieces together on this issue.

First there was an issue with the events calendar that created a lot of “pages not found” errors with google – in my case almost 14K.

Then there was an upgrade to TEC sometime around the 27th of Feb and problems with errors were supposed to tackled by upgrading. I am still getting page errors from the events calendar even though I have updated.

Also, I have a spike in soft 404 errors from the events calendar. I’m kind of at a loss as to how to properly deal with this issue. The Soft 404 errors are, on my reading of Google webmaster tools help page, very very bad.

Can you please advise?

Thanks.

Rob

Hamish, John: have you tried the plugin solutions / code suggested above? The thousands of indexed pages issue should have been released with the code updated Hamish noted, so if you’re not running 2.0.4 for both code bases you should be. I suspect that the spike in soft 404 errors can be resolved by giving the suggestions above a shot, but let me know if I’m wrong there.

John
    Participant
    Rob

Ah, gotcha. Alright – let me see if Jonah has any suggestions when he hits the forums later this morning.

John
    Participant

Thanks, Looking forward for your reply

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘Indexation of thousands pages’ is closed to new replies.