Huge problem, need help right away.

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Huge problem, need help right away.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Timothy
    Participant

For what ever reason, I have 11,000 not found links in Google webmaster. They all seem to be from Categories made in The event calendar!
    Show URLs: Not followed ‎(3)‎ Not found ‎(11,014)‎ Unreachable ‎(6)‎

They are adding dates at the end like this one
    http://www.wheretogointampa.com/events/category/fashion-2/2008-02-10

What can i do about this asap, all my rankings are falling from it I think.

Rob

Hey Timothy. Sorry to hear you’re having issues. It’s a product of how the single day view was designed. We’ve had a few users bring this up and are looking to change it for Events 2.1. In the shorter term, let me see if our dev who diagnosed the issue in the first place can offer up a short-term solution that should help you in the interim.

Rob

Hey again Timothy. Talked this over with the broader dev team today. While there is no amazing short term solution here, and it will be resolved in 2.1, you can in the mean time overwrite your views/table.php file with the following: https://gist.github.com/c130e502fccc1accc733. I assume you’re familiar with how to do a template override procedure (so your changes don’t get wiped when you update the plugin next), but if not head over to Support -> FAQs on this site and check out the first question under the “Customization” section. Let me know if you’re still having trouble from there.

Timothy
    Participant

I can’t seem to find that file in my views directory. Is this the right one?
    /wp-content/plugins/events-calendar-pro.2.0.3/views
    It also only has three files in it? In the Customization FAQ it list a lot more?

Timothy
    Participant

Ok, i think I figured it out, but now I have no calendar…? How do I know it stop doing those pages? I need to clean this up fast, how do I clean that up, Google is showing I have 14k of not found pages….

Rob

Hey Timothy. Just a heads up that this item requires a more advanced dev to respond to; I’ve passed it on, along with the creds you sent, and we should have somebody getting a response ASAP. Apologies for the delay thus far.

Joey Kudish

Hi Timothy,

If your calendar disappeared, it’s most likely because you overwrote too much of the file or didn’t do it properly. Here’s exactly what you should do. This will require you using FTP to access your files (this is beyond what we can help you with, but your host may be able to – if need be)

* In your theme folder (wp-content/themes/{the name of your theme}), create a new folder called “events”
    * In it, create a new file called table.php
    * In that file paste the following: https://gist.github.com/043fe74f30cd04e07ec5 (make sure to grab the “raw” code)

As Rob mentioned, this issue will also be fixed in the 2.1 release that we’re currently working on. The “fix” I am suggesting is only temporary and exceptional for your situation.

Let me know if this helps.

Cheers,
    Joey

Timothy
    Participant

ok, thats what it was, the first one was really small.. that one seemed to work. Well at least to not get rid of the calendar. how can I tell I got rid of all those not found link? http://www.wheretogointampa.com/events

Joey Kudish

Hi Timothy,

According to Google’s Webmaster Tools FAQ, there is no way to remove the errors, however they will not negatively impact your rankings. See: https://sites.google.com/site/webmasterhelpforum/en/faq–webmaster-tools#404-errors-2

Cheers

Joey Kudish

Regarding the first gist, I was just trying to show you what changed. In the second gist, I pasted the whole file… Sorry about any confusion there.

Hamish
    Participant

I have encountered this issue too – got over 10K errors

Joey Kudish

Hi Hamish (and others),

We’ve patched this in our latest release (2.0.4) so this shouldn’t be a problem going forward as long as you’ve upgraded. Of course it might take a few days for Google to re-index your site after you upgrade though.

Cheers

Hamish
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve applied the update and the patch of code referenced above, and I am still experiencing crawl errors.

Additionally, the events that are now posted are wider than the ones prior to the patch. This is a problem because the events listing displaced my sidebar to the bottom of the page. Can you advise on a fix for this?

Rob

Hey there Hamish. Thanks for the follow-up. It’s worth noting here that (re)crawling takes time, so the results of what you added based on Joey’s code would not be taking effect already. It could be a few days or even weeks before the results are truly visible. In addition, in webmaster tools, Google doesn’t hide previous errors even if fixed, it just doesn’t re-add them as new ones or increase the “count” on them (the number of times that error happens).

As to the second point, what do you mean by “wider”?

Hamish
    Participant

Hi Rob,

When prior to this patch, I recall (and unless I’m mistaken about this) that the event details page allowed for my sidebar to exist along side the event description. Now, however, the width of the event details section has displaced my sidebar images and widgets to the bottom of the page. I copied the following HTML:

and unfortunately I don’t have the pre-update code, but I definitely do not remember my events details page looking they way they do now with the sidebar bumped to the bottom.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The topic ‘Huge problem, need help right away.’ is closed to new replies.