I'm looking for Andras

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO I'm looking for Andras

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jim
    Participant

Andras and I had an extensive thread last Fall when Daylight Savings ended — because all my recurring events switched to an hour later (start and end) and I was getting LOTS of phone calls!

This is where the thread is found: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/daylight-savings-bug-still-there/#post-1195941

We sort of left it, like…Andras was going to speak to some people and find me a solution. Well, it’s Daylight Saving again and all my recurring events are screwed up and yes, I’m getting LOTS of phone calls again. I had to manually update all my recurring events. I don’t want to go through that twice every year, I’m sure you can understand.

Can I possibly be the only person this is happening to?? I followed all Andras’s suggestions, I ran the whole setup by a WordPress developer I know and he couldn’t see where — or why — TEC would even reference the WP setting for time. I mean, if I say an event starts at 8:00AM, that’s all TEC needs to know, right? It doesn’t need to know what’s going on with my time zone.

Please, I need a fix on this. Andras, are you out there?? Help!!

(I’m not uploading screen shots — I did that in the referenced thread and nothing has changed)

• This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Jim. Reason: Fixed a little mistake
    Andras
    Keymaster

Hello again Jim,

I’m sorry that you are still having issues with the DST.

I ran a quick test if I can recreate this, but so far I didn’t manage.

As a next step I would like you to send me a copy of your site (all files and database) if that is OK with you, so I can spin it up locally and take it for a test drive.

The files will be likely bigger then what is allowed here, so you can upload them to a cloud service and share the link in a private reply.

One more info which might be useful: what operating system does the server have where your site is running? Windows or Linux? (Or something more exotic? 🙂 )

Thanks!

I hope we can nail this.

Cheers,
    Andras

Jim
    Participant

This reply is private.

Jim
    Participant

This reply is private.

Jim
    Participant

This reply is private.

Andras
    Keymaster

This reply is private.

Jim
    Participant

This reply is private.

Andras
    Keymaster

This reply is private.

Andras
    Keymaster

This reply is private.

Jim
    Participant

I’m wondering what happened with the files and database I sent you. It’s been a while. I missed a couple of events I should have “fixed” and have received angry phone calls. I’m getting quite tired of this. I’m attaching a recurring event, as it appears on the site, when it is clicked from the EC. I’m also attaching a screen shot of the edit page, which shows the correct time. How am I supposed to fix this?? The only way is to break the series for each event and correct it by hand.
    Also, notice that the scheduling for the event says “On the 17th of every month.” It happened to be on the 17 of May, but it was set up to be the third Saturday of every month — and shows the 20th (the third Saturday) on the actual event page.
    This disconnect between the setup/edit page and what people are seeing…it’s eating my lunch! Please, I realize I’m just one customer out of thousands, but I need this straightened out. This is a very ordinary WordPress site, no Custom CSS, no weird stuff.
    Please!

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Jim. Reason: I wanted to add a screen shot of the May event when it's broken from the series. Now, it shows the time at 7:ooAM (wrong!) and the date as May 20th (correct!)
    Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Jim,

I’m sorry for the long wait for any reply, I do apologize for this. The whole company was out on the week of March 27th on our yearly company retreat and I was travelling the week after.

I have received your files and I am currently looking at the local install trying to figure this daylight saving time issue out. This has top priority for me now. I’ll be in touch within a day, please hang in there.

Thanks for your patience!

Andras

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello again Jim,

Again apologies for the long wait. We’ve been swamped a bit due to the one week off and I know this issue has been hanging in there for quite some time, that is why I took some time on a Sunday to help you get this resolved.

I managed to do some thorough testing with the files and database you shared with me. The outcome, simply put: it is the theme that is messing with you.

So I fired up your files on a local install and created a recurring event just with 2 instances, in November and December 2017 with the Vestige theme. And it produced the error just like it is supposed to.

Then did some various tests with the same theme and got the same results.

Then I switched to the twentyfifteen theme, created a recurring event, again November and December, and this time it was properly created, the time did not change from one month to the other.

Then I switched back to Vestige. Obviously this didn’t yet change a thing. Then I simply updated the event which was created with twentyfifteen, and alas, the start times of the events have changed.

So it looks like that the theme has some code in place that changes the event times on creation, even in the database.

I was trying to look in the code of the theme where this modification is done, but it is beyond me. I would suggest you to get in touch with the theme developers to see where and how you could possibly disable this feature.

I’m sorry I cannot give you a ready solution for this, but I do hope this gets you a couple steps closer to a resolution.

Please, let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Cheers,
    Andras

Jim
    Participant

Don’t apologize. This theme has evil built into it, that I have encountered more than once. If I had the whole thing to do over again…but I don’t. I really appreciate you going to all this trouble, only to find that it’s someone else’s fault. It’s an enormous help — and stuff I should’ve done myself but I’m very nervous about loading 2015 and all that. I’m very afraid of breaking things.

Again, you’ve been great and I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you giving your time to this. If you want to leave the thread open for a while, I’ll let you know what happens and you can add it to your own personal knowledge base. OTOH, if you need me to click on “My issue is resolved” I will do that.

Cheers,

Jim

Andras
    Keymaster

Hey Jim,

Thanks a lot for your feedback, this is what makes it worth doing support. 🙂 I’m happy I could help you move things along.

I fully understand you being afraid of breaking something. I used to be the same – heck I still am 🙂 – so I started using staging sites for all my important sites for testing and updates. It does help a lot and saved my skin several times. And backups!

I’m happy to leave the topic open and would love to hear when your issue gets resolved. It also might help others in the future. Note though that if there is no movement for 3-4 weeks, then the thread will be automatically closed. But hopefully it will be solved before that. 🙂

Cheers and good luck with your project!
    Andras

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘I'm looking for Andras’ is closed to new replies.