ical importer not deleting events (cont)

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator ical importer not deleting events (cont)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris Adams
    Participant

Hi, this is a follow on from the thread here:-

https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/ical-importer-not-updating-changed-or-deleted-events-google-calendar/

I’ve got the ical importer set up to import an ical feed from Google calendar every 5 mins and within the settings have ticked the ‘overwrite recurring’ checkbox so that when an event in google is updated the event in the calendar updates in accordance with that.

The thread above seems to refer to the fact that this feature is no longer part of the plugin, yet there’s the checkbox that I am using mostly successfully… so I’m a little confused. Is this feature now re-introduced with this checkbox? Also it seems only to work when I pair up TEC Pro with the importer…

Lastly – and more on topic re the subject line – while an event detail (title & details) seems to update with this checkbox ticked… checked… if I remove the event from Google altogether the event stays on the calendar… which seems not to make sense?

Hope you can clarify?
    Cheers,
    Chris

Cliff

Hi.

Our iCal Importer was recently changed to NOT overwrite/update existing (i.e. previously-imported) events, since users might make local changes and wish for those changes to persist.

You should be able to use the tribe_events_ical_importer_overwrite_existing_events filter to re-enable this functionality. For example:

// Allow events that have already been imported to be updated if the source event
    // is changed and if it was pulled in via a saved recurring import (iCal Importer)
    add_filter( 'tribe_events_ical_importer_overwrite_existing_events', '__return_true' );

This hook can be found in /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar-importer-ical/src/Tribe/Importer.php if you’d like to look into it further.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Chris Adams
    Participant

Thanks Cliff, still a little confused though – what’s the ‘overwrite recurring’ checkbox for and why does it only appear when you’ve got tec pro installed?

Cliff

Could you please provide me a screenshot or URL for where you’re seeing that so I can try to replicate?

Also, are you using that latest versions of iCal Importer and PRO add-ons?

Thanks.

Cliff

Hi again. Are you referring to this option: http://cl.ly/1s2z1I0O2f2m ?

(It was just added in our latest release — version 4.0.4 — from about a week ago.)

I confirmed that it only displays when PRO is active. I confirmed that it’s dealing with recurring series and therefore is correct to not display without PRO because PRO handles recurrence.

So, no, it’s not the same as the code snippet.

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

(Note: I modified this reply after receiving additional details from developers.)

Chris Adams
    Participant

Hi Cliff,
    Yes that is the same checkbox I am referring to.
    When I tested this with it unchecked, then went to my Google Calendar and updated an existing (not recurring) event, nothing was changed after the auto import ran. When I then checked this box, updated Google Calendar again and waited for the auto import to run, the event was modified on the website (TEC Pro) – so it looked like the checkbox was relating specifically to updating any event that is on the website with any modification made at source (in this case Google Calendar)…
    So my initial query here is that it *seems* by ticking this box an updated at source event writes over the one that has been imported in the plugin, no matter if it is recurring or not… which for my purposes suits just fine – the whole point of having a Google Calendar that is informing the website is so that only one calendar needs to be maintained.
    HOWEVER if this is a glitch and it needs to ONLY work for recurring events (and so will be modified down the line) then it’d be good to know so I can make provisions this end for that?
    Thanks,
    Chris

Cliff

Chris, thanks for the details, but I didn’t quite follow how I can help you further…

Since the checkbox says “recurring”, yes, it should only work for recurring events.

It’s intended to be like using the ‘tribe_events_ical_importer_overwrite_existing_events’ filter just for recurring events.

Please let me know if there’s anymore I can do for you.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘ical importer not deleting events (cont)’ is closed to new replies.