iCal feed updates

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions iCal feed updates

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Armando

Hi, I asked a few pre-sale questions a few weeks back. One of them was regarding the ability for the iCal feed to update when a new event is added. I was told that this is supported. As I composed my email to my client following up, I was skimming through the forum and found this:

https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/ics-feed-for-mobile/

So, to be clear:

On your showcase page you have this site:

http://www.chicagoareayoga.com/eventstraining/2015-11/

If I click the iCal link and subscribe, when an event is added, will my iCal app update? Is there a diffrent FEED that can accomplish this?

Thank you again, I just want to be clear about the capabilities.

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Armando,

Sorry for the confusion. I am happy to help clarify.

There are two types of iCal subscriptions. One where you import events into the calendar, one where a user subscribes to your calendar exporting events from your site into their phone or computer. Importing is handled by the iCal Importer, and you can subscribe to an external iCal source and regularly import new events from it. Exporting is not officially supported, but many have been able to get it setup. The Export button iCal feed that is generated by the calendar is automatically updated with new events. And many clients support subscribing to the iCal feeds URL. However, no all do. Further, the feed itself is limited to the # of events you show on your listing page, which is typically 20. So folks that subscribe will only get 20 of your upcoming events.

Does that all make sense? Will that work for you? Please let me know.

Cheers!

– Brook

Armando

Hi Brook, sorry for not replying earlier. I did not get the notification via email that a response was generated. I think I understand what you are saying, but after watching the video on the iCal importer plugin, it does not directly answer my question. What I would like to do:

I am the admin of the calendar via the WP admin. I have a calendar set up. I create dates.

The client/user on the front end can then subscribe to the calendar. For example, they get a URL:

http://mysite.com/mycalnedarfeed

They can then paste this URL into their calendar app.

My current calendar plugin can do this. What it cannot do is:

After my user pastes this URL into their calendar, I, the Admin, add a date to the calendar. Will the users calendar automatically update itself to reflect the new date that was added?

As with most calendars, dates are always being moved/added/deleted. I would want the user to subscribe to a feed that will update when such changes are made.

I hope this explains what I am trying to confirm with your product capability.

Thank you again!

Brook
    Participant

Thank you for elaborating Armando. I now definitely know what you are after.

We do not yet have the ability for users to get full updates on the calendar. We are working on that feature, and currently folks have used our current iCal feeds to do that, but it does not work great. Specifically it only updates the next ~20 upcoming events in your users calendar app.

I hope you can find a solution ideally suited for your needs. Let me know if you have any more questions. Cheers!

– Brook

Brook
    Participant

Thanks for marking the answer correct. I am going to archive this topic since it’s resolved.

Cheers!

– Brook

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘iCal feed updates’ is closed to new replies.