I think my problem relates to the Community Events plugin

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events I think my problem relates to the Community Events plugin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Doug De Stefano
    Participant

I just got feedback from a user that they were submitting an event and it seemed to not go through
    and showed no list of events submitted to edit on there my events page.
    I looked on the admin side where I approve them and saw a draft of there event.
    I approved it but it never showed up on the Calendar. Then I noticed with other drafts and the
    one they did again that they all were showing up with Jan 1, 1970 dates and I asked
    and was assured they chose the proper current dates.
    Now I have the recent 4.4 vers for all my plugins of yours so I am wondering it this is
    anything known. I am using a Childs theme and I am wondering if any of the files in there related
    to the Community Events are named differently so that my child theme version of them is not working?
    Because I also noticed the submittion form doesn’t have some of the changes we made.
    Anyway help please.

Doug De Stefano
    Participant

I also in testing the Event Submission as a user got this after submitting it.
    Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/theinn10/public_html/wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar-community-events/src/Tribe/Submission_Handler.php on line 214
    This seems to relate to this code:
    //Check For Venue ID in Array
    foreach ( $submission[‘Venue’][‘VenueID’] as $key => $venue_id ) {
    //We have an ID for an existing Organizer
    if ( 0 < $venue_id ) {
    return true;
    }
    Not sure what it means but I did notice something wrong when on the submission page I got to the Venue entry
    it did not offer a drop down list of Previous Venues. The Organizer section did but the Venue did not.
    And I do have a bunch of Pre-existing Venues. And that list shows up on the Admin side for adding an event.
    So I think something is wrong. Any ideas on how to fix it?

And with my Test event I did choose a Current Date of Feb 2, 2017 and on the Admin side it showed up in Drafts
    as January 1, 1970. Seriously wrong.
    Also on that Users Add Event page the area of Categories is one long huge block shouldn’t it have a little down arrow in the upper right of that section that closes it after checking your categories? See below screen shot of what I’m talking about.
    And also on that screen shot notice the top title field is atleast 1/3 the size in length it used to be
    how and where would I go to change that? We also use to have within it some light grey words that said
    something like : Use Seven words or less in Title.
    And that is not showing up anymore and I’m not sure where the original coder would have put that
    and why it disappeared. I would think he had it in the Childs folder that shouldn’t get effected by
    new version upgrades. As you can see I am having quite a few issues. Thanks…

Geoff B.

Good evening Doug and welcome back!

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We are sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing with Community Events.
    I would love to help you with this topic.

I am wondering if any of the files in there related
    to the Community Events are named differently so that my child theme version of them is not working?
    Because I also noticed the submittion form doesn’t have some of the changes we made.
    Anyway help please.

This is quite possible. Any customization you might have made might require updating when you upgrade our plugins.

This is usually because some functions change or become deprecated over time.

There are a couple of ways to test this out:

1. Temporarily rename the /tribe-events/ folder in your theme to /z_tribe-events/ and see if the issue persists
    2. Temporarily switch to a default theme such as twenty-sixteen and see if the issue persists.

It is also possible that the coder simply hardcoded his changes in the plugin instead of using a template customization.

You might want to read our Themer’s guide to get a sense of how that works.

Finally, if none of the above work, you could always try to see if downgrading Community Events back to 4.3.2 helps: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/downgrading-plugin-past-version/

Let me know how that goes.

Best regards,
    Geoff B.

Doug De Stefano
    Participant

Geoff…Thanks! So the first thing I did was the easiest and that was rename the /tribe-events/ folder in the child theme to /z_tribe-events/ And that made the Events submission page correct itself. Now there are some custom design work we did thats gone but atleast this tells me the new 4.4 should work but must be conflicting somehow with something in the child folder tribe-events. Would you agree. So knowing this what would your next step be? I want to be able to keep the custom work we did. I need to isolate where all that is coming from I guess. So that I could replace that whole tribe-events folder with the new one and then just re-introduce those changes again in the files that pertain. Does that make sense?

Geoff B.

Good evening Doug,

You are 100% right.

The result of that test indicates that you have to take a look at the changes done in the /tribe-events/ folder of your child theme.

And the best way to get to the bottom of this is indeed to compare each of your customized file against the basic one and reintroduce the changes one-by-one.

Once you find the faulty function call(s), you could let me know what they are. I could run them by Dev.

You can also look at the use of our functions and see how they are different in our documentation: https://theeventscalendar.com/functions/

Let me know how that goes.

Best regards,
    Geoff B.

Doug De Stefano
    Participant

Geoff….I isolated it to the tribe-events-community.css file in the Child so I opened the file with the same name that I found in the Plugins->the-events-calendar-community-events->src–>resources–>css folder. and I found that the one in my Childs–tribe-events–> community folder Only had one line in there that was not even found in the other file. It had #post_title{width:350px;} Which I think my guy put in there to make the title field larger like we use to have. But having that in there seems to mess up the layout of the add events page. It does make the title field larger like a wanted but when I null it out the add events page looks better over all. EXCEPT…this one issue where the Add Venue section is missing its drop down function showing existing venues in the database to choose from before creating one. I will give a screen shot of how it looks below. The Add Organizer section shows up fine with its dropdown in tack. I think I see the code for them both on the tribe-events-community.css file but not sure if its there thats causing that problem. I mean right now this is the way it looks without the override from the childs theme so this should be the way you intended it too look I would assume but I don’t think its right.
    Again Thanks….Doug

Geoff B.

This reply is private.

Doug De Stefano
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

This reply is private.

Doug De Stefano
    Participant

Thanks Geoff that helped me figure out the problem with the functioning of that page.
    We found that the venue.php file was the issue and needed to be replaced in the child theme.
    So what I really need now is:
    To add Placeholder Text in the field to the right of event title only and not effect other fields on that page. I can’t seem to find the source code for it. You can see on the image below the small field to the right
    of the Event title: is what I am referring to. It needs to be wider like 30% width and have some placeholder text
    inside it. Can you please point me to that code. I know its being called from event-edit.php with this code:
    <div class=”events-community-post-title”>
    <?php tribe_community_events_field_label( ‘post_title’, sprintf( __( ‘%s Title:’, ‘tribe-events-community’ ), $events_label_singular ) ); ?>
    <?php tribe_community_events_form_title(); ?>
    But I don’t know where to add the placeholder text or to make that field wider or how to add custom css to just effect that field and not others on that Add Events page.

Geoff B.

Good evening Doug,

I am glad you were able to dig deeper and find the real culprit!
    Kudos!

To answer your questions, the event title input field can be targeted using the following CSS rule:

.events-community-post-title #post_title {
    width: 40%;
    }

As for adding placeholders, this is a bit outside the scope of our support, but you could totally get started by reading article such as:

1. https://wordpress.org/support/topic/remove-placeholder-text-from-wordpress-search-function/
    2. https://gist.github.com/braddalton/6402153

Have a good weekend,

Geoff B.

Doug De Stefano
    Participant

This reply is private.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Doug De Stefano. Reason: wanted to add images but can't now
    Doug De Stefano
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

This reply is private.

Doug De Stefano
    Participant

Geoff….Thought this was fixed. Still having problems I realized. Its one of the original issues mentioned earlier (see my top first issue) that is still not corrected.
    I just got feedback from a user that they were submitting an event and it seemed to not go through
    and showed no list of events submitted to edit on there my events page as well.
    I looked on the admin side and it was showing up with Jan 1, 1970 date.
    They assured me they chose the proper current dates. I then went in as a user and did a TEST event and
    know the date I chose but it still came in on the admin side as Jan1,1970.
    Its using EPOCH time somehow I was told?
    Any idea how that is happening. It works fine on the Admin side when I enter an event it shows up where
    it should.
    Thanks…D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The topic ‘I think my problem relates to the Community Events plugin’ is closed to new replies.