How do the old HIDE and IGNORE events get deleted?

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator How do the old HIDE and IGNORE events get deleted?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    karen
    Participant

Do these delete on the same schedule as other past events?

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi Karen,

Thanks for reaching out! Could you please clarify what you mean by events that have been hidden or ignored? If you have a clean-up running where old events are being deleted, then this should include events even if you are not displaying them on the front end of the site. However, if you could provide some more details, I can give you a more exact answer!

Thanks,

Jennifer

karen
    Participant

HI Jennifer,
    I am just looking to find out if this includes the Event Aggregator where one chooses to HIDE and IGNORE some events. Not sure how I can be more clear. Thanks!

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi Karen,

I’m sorry about the delayed response, it looks like my previous reply did not save – sorry about that!

I was actually asking about your current scheduled cleanup (I know my question wasn’t very clear, that was my fault!)…whether or not ignored events are included depends on how you are scheduling events to be deleted, but we do not currently have any scheduled cleanups built into our plugins that would automatically delete ignored events. However, if you are using another plugin to automatically delete past events, you may be able to get the ignored events in there as well. The only scheduled cleanup we have at the moment is for recurring events.

You can delete ignored events manually by going to the Events page in the admin section and clicking the “Ignored” link, then bulk-selecting the events and selecting “Delete Permanently”. If you have lots of ignored events, you can speed this up by increasing the number of posts on the page (see screenshot) to get them all at once, or you could also try using a plugin like Bulk Delete. If you’re comfortable with SQL, we also have a query which deletes ignored events. Be sure to make a full backup before running this! I would recommend taking a look at this article as well, which has some more information on ignored events.

If an auto-cleanup feature is something you would like to see implemented in the future, please let us know over in our Feature Ideas Forum. This is what we use to gauge user interest in new features and help guide future development efforts.

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Jennifer

karen
    Participant

So, you are saying that if I have my settings set to delete the regular events after 4 month, it will delete the events that are in HIDE and IGNORE as well? Thanks

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi Karen,

Can you please send me a screenshot of your settings so that I can tell you for sure? I think you might be referring to the recurring events cleanup, which is separate from ignoring events that come in through Event Aggregator. If so, that setting will not affect the events that you ignore.

Thanks,

Jennifer

karen
    Participant

Here ya go.

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Thanks Karen!

It turns out this functionality is actually part of an older plugin that one of our developers wrote, which is no longer maintained or supported. It came before my time, so I was not aware of it previously. Sorry for the confusion there!

I did check with him, and he said he did not believe it would include events that are ignored. Ignoring events “marks” them in a way that this plugin would likely not recognize, since the concept if ignoring events was introduced with Event Aggregator, which came after the plugin was deprecated.

I hope that helps clear things up! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jennifer

karen
    Participant

oh geez, not really.. How are events cleaned up?

Jennifer
    Keymaster

For ignored events, I believe you will need to delete them manually. There are some cleanup plugins you could try, such as Bulk Delete for example, but you would really need to test them out to see if they are able to get to the ignored events. However, something like that or a plugin like Post Expirator should work for the other events on your site.

A trick to quickly delete ignored events in bulk is to increase the number of posts displayed on the page, select all, and delete.

If this is a feature that you would like to see implemented in future releases, please do let us know over in our Feature Ideas Forum. This is what we use to gauge user interest in new features and help guide future development efforts. I’m sorry I don’t have an automated solution here for you, but I hope this helps!

karen
    Participant

I don’t mean to be Rude, but FEATURE? Really. This seems pretty CORE to me. That said, you can close this ticket.

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi Karen,

I definitely understand where you’re coming from. Since there are already a few good plugins out there for handling cleanups (of multiple post types), they are usually sufficient for handling cleanups of events as well. The only issue here is that ignored events are “marked” differently, similar to events that have been put in the trash, so these plugins may not pick up on them. I would recommend testing a few out to see if you can find one that does get the ignored events too.

The feature requests are really helpful though for us to get a better understanding of where our plugins are lacking and cases we may not have accounted for (such as this one) so that we can target those areas for improvement.  I’m sorry I don’t have a better solution for you at the moment, but if you have a minute, we would definitely appreciate your feedback over in the forum!

Thanks,

Jennifer

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘How do the old HIDE and IGNORE events get deleted?’ is closed to new replies.