Handling events with non-fixed dates in advance?

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Handling events with non-fixed dates in advance?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Enric

Hi guys

This, rather than a technical question, is more of a practical question for which, if I may, I would like to hear your expertise/experience/advice with similar cases.

I would like to use Calendar Pro in an upcoming project for a cultural organisation. The problem/dilemma I face with a number of their annual events is two-fold:

1.) There are events that are not scheduled for until the very last moment. For example, there’s an annual gathering hosted in June every year, but the exact dates are known only a few weeks in advance as the complexity of the logistics of the event makes it impossible to plan them earlier.

2.) Some events depend on the religious calendar, that is, “the third week of” or ” X days after Easter”, etc. which, as you know, results in slightly different dates every year.

Regardless of the above “handicaps”, the events need to be on the calendar the year before so as to allow attendees to tentatively block their calendars for those dates.

How do you handle this? Any tips/tricks?

Thanks a lot for any suggestion you might share.

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi Enric,

Thanks for checking out our plugins!

To your first question, you do need to enter exact dates for an event. However, if you don’t want them displayed on the front end, you could hide them with CSS…one idea would be to give them a certain category, like “unscheduled”, and then use that to only hide the dates with that category. Then all you need to do to display them is to remove the category. Even with the dates hidden, the event will still show on the calendar in month view for the dates that you specified.

If you’d like to test this out, I would recommend installing The Events Calendar on your staging site. You can test out the date issue there, as this will function the same way in Pro. We do offer full refunds within 30 days of purchase, so feel free to take Pro for a test run as well!

Regarding recurrence rules, there are several different ways to specify recurrence, including “third week of” rules. I would recommend taking a look at this article, which has more details on how recurring events work and the options that are available with them.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!

Thanks,

Jennifer

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Handling events with non-fixed dates in advance?’ is closed to new replies.