Google Maps no longer displaying

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Google Maps no longer displaying

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    davidgmiles
    Participant

Simply put – I just get a grey box where the map used to be – any ideas are welcome

Sample of ‘the box’ – at the bottom of the following page http://natureslens.co.uk/event/polands-white-tailed-eagle-winter-photography/

Barry

Hi David,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties.

It actually looks as though the map is being loaded and formed – it just isn’t visible, for some reason. It’s not impossible CSS rules from your theme or another plugin are impacting: would it be possible for you to run through our standard troubleshooting steps here and see if a conflict is at work?

Let me know how you get on!

davidgmiles
    Participant

Yup – thats all been checked out I have switched back to an older version of my theme, tried 2014 & 2013 and killed all other plugins – issue remains

David Fraser
    Participant

I have the same issue on upgrading to v3.8 of Events Calendar and Events Calendar PRO and one other routine plug-in upgrade. See for example http://www.engineeringscotland.org/event/the-autumn-lecture-2014/
    I have tried deselecting and reselecting google maps display in both the back end and the individual event post. I had simultaneously installed but not activated the Jetpack plugin though I have now uninstalled it again just in case that is related. Thoughts welcome! I’d like to roll back the Events Calendar upgrades.

David Fraser
    Participant

The other plugin upgraded was Photo Gallery, by the way, but it is now de-activated. Still no google maps.

davidgmiles
    Participant

I have JetPack but not the PhotoGallery plugin – common denominator appears to be 3.8

Ray
    Participant

No maps displaying for me either after upgrading to ver 3.8.

davidgmiles
    Participant

A fix suggested by the guys that developed my theme, Enfold, kind of worked – it doesn’t fill the box – but at least it shows now – http://natureslens.co.uk/event/scottish-grouse-photography-holiday-2/ – hopefully Tribe will look into it and locate what broke in 3.8

Fix is

.single-tribe_events .tribe-events-venue-map > div {
    min-height: 300px;
    }

Barry

Sorry for the difficulties, everyone.

add_filter( 'tribe_get_option', 'adjust_tribe_embedded_map_height', 10, 2 );

function adjust_tribe_embedded_map_height( $value, $property ) {
        if ( 'embedGoogleMapsHeight' !== $property ) return $value;
        return '350px';
    }

In addition to your theme author’s CSS-based fix you could try adding the above snippet to your theme’s functions.php file.

Ray
    Participant

Hi Barry,
    The PHP function fixed the problem for me. Maps now displaying correctly.
    Thanks!
    Regards,
    Ray

davidgmiles
    Participant

I removed the CSS fix – and applied yours – the map shows – but it does not fill the box and looks slightly distorted

Barry

@Ray: that’s awesome to hear – glad it helped 🙂

@davidgmiles
    : is the fix definitely in place/did you remove it after hitting problems? The output isn’t quite what I’d expect when I view the URL you provided in your opening post.

davidgmiles
    Participant

My mistake – I was not seeing the cached version as I was logged in – I have cleared the cache for the page – now you can see what I mean (as a non-logged in user) of the map not filling the box on http://natureslens.co.uk/event/scottish-grouse-photography-holiday-2/

Barry

OK – there’s definitely some distortion creeping in via rules in Enfold’s stylesheet. Adding some rules like this may help a little on that count:

.entry-content-wrapper .tribe-events-event-meta img {
        min-width: 0px;
        min-height: 0px;
    }

You could either add these to any suitable custom CSS file or else set up a tribe-events.css file for this specific purpose (please see our Themer’s Guide for details).

You can remove the extra margin at the bottom with a snippet like this one:

add_filter( 'tribe_events_embedded_map_style', 'remove_embedded_map_margin' );

function remove_embedded_map_margin( $styles ) {
    	$rules = explode( ';', $styles );
    	if ( ! is_array( $rules ) || 0 === count( $rules ) ) return $styles;

foreach ( $rules as $index => $rule )
    		if ( false !== strpos( $rule, 'margin-bottom' ) ) unset( $rules[$index] );

return join( ';', $rules );
    }

Or indeed you could override modules/map.php and remove the margin-bottom style there directly from within your template override (again, please refer to the Themer’s Guide for details on setting up template overrides).

Does that help here?

David Fraser
    Participant

Thanks for your help, Barry, and Ray and David. My story is slightly different… I tried Barry’s theme functions.php snippet (in StudioPress News Pro, in my case) and it had no effect so I removed it. I then tried deactivating plugins and found that the v3.8 conflict is with the MailChimp plugin, of all things. I’m not actually using that plugin just now so I can leave it deactivated. However, I then see the blank bar at the bottom of the Google map box, presumably the same as other David is seeing.
    I happen to have the option of copying the pre v3.8 Events Calendar & Pro plugin folders (v3.7 presumably) over the new version. That seems to restore a fully working version. Having done that, I do notice the google map box is not as tall as in v3.8, and it is filled correctly with the map. See http://www.engineeringscotland.org/event/the-autumn-lecture-2014/ for example.
    I’m pondering what to do next (if anything), without a great deal of time to spend on it. Perhaps my notes help. Suggestions also would be welcome.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘Google Maps no longer displaying’ is closed to new replies.