Google Maps with All Events

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Google Maps with All Events

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Tony
    Participant

Not sure if anyone has done this yet. The feature we really want is to have a google map that shows all events on the calendar by a particular date range. For example if I was looking at the United States I could see all of the events happening between March 27th and March 31st. On the map would be markers then when clicked would pull up the little google map bubble with a title, description, date & times, and a link to see more details.

Is this on the plans or has anyone else done this?

Henry

Have you ever thought about using the Geo Mashup or WP Geo plugins with The Events Calendar?

Tony
    Participant

Hi Henry. No I haven’t thought about it because I did not know it existed. Good find though! 🙂

How would I use this to pull in all the events and display them on the map?

Rob

Hey Tony. That’s definitely a solid idea – we’ve had quite a few requests for it since launching 2.0, and so while no such functionality is currently out there, we are plotting for it. We actually used to maintain a WP Geo Tagger plugin that has since become neglected…but my hope is to bring it back to life and integrate it with Events Calendar PRO sometime over the next few months. No guarantees though.

At this point, a third-party plugin like the ones Henry recommended would probably be best. Let me know if I can answer any other questions!

Tony
    Participant

Thanks Rob! Unfortunately I need this solution in the next 7 days. So I’ll try out Henry’s solution to see if that will work. Reading through the feature list of “Comprehensive Google Map Plugin” I saw this line that really interested me: “Aggregate all your post markers in one map.”

Hopefully that will do the trick. If so then I’ll have a big smile on my face. 🙂

Rob

Ah, sounds like a plan – in that timetable Henry’s proposal may be your best bet. Want to let us know the results, so other users in your same position know if it’s worth their time?

Tony
    Participant

Installed the plugin. Works great on general posts, but the module does not show up on the Event posts. Does anyone know how I can get this to work show it will show up on the Event posts?

I’m assuming it’s because the Event posts are custom types. Couldn’t I just hook into the Event custom types in the functions file to add this module into them? I’m thinking I could, but not sure how I could do this or which hooks to call. If I could get the module to be included in the Events posts when creating a new event that could greatly help.

Rob could you check with one of your developers on this and ask them what’s possible here?

Rob

Hey Tony, have you checked whether the documentation at ( https://theeventscalendar.com/support/documentation ) points you in the right direction on this? Let me know if not.

Tony
    Participant

Yes I have looked through to documentation but it doesn’t address what I’m looking for.

Rob

Alright then – thanks for confirming, Tony. Let me see if Jonah has any ideas – no guarantees if it relates to integration with a third party plugin, but hopefully we can help you out on identifying such hooks if they’re present. Will get him to take a look when he hits the forum today.

Jonah
    Participant

Hey Tony, you are correct, since our plugin uses custom post types and this plugin seems like its limited to only including posts that’s why it’s not brining in events. I think I found the function in the plugin that pulls in posts – it’s in the functions.php file of the plugin on line 609. You could modify this to include ‘tribe_events’ and that should work, however since you’re editing the core plugin, your changes will be lost the next time you update. You might try looking at some other plugins where you actually can pull in custom post type posts or request this as a feature for this plugin and/or hire a developer to help you with modifying it…

That’s all I can offer, good luck!

Henry

Are you using WP Geo or Geo Mashup? If you are using Geo Mashup, then you have to specify which post type the map should be using. The post type you need is “tribe_events”. To display a map of events only using the Geo Mashup plugin, use this code:

http://pastie.org/3694652

Henry

I should of added – just paste the code in the template where you’d like your events map to display. It only works with Geo Mashup plugin though.

Tony
    Participant

Thank you Jonah. I’ll try that out to see if that will work. If it does that would be excellent. Although I wonder how it might conflict with the google map feature of the event. I’ll nee to test that out today.

Henry, I was looking at “Comprehensive Google Map Plugin” (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/comprehensive-google-map-plugin/). The feature that caught my attention was, “Aggregate all your post markers in one map – Marker Geo Mashup!”

From what I’m reading it looks like WP Geo and Geo Mashup are similar. Working with geo mashups is new to me. But this is helpful.

Have you done this before Henry? And how would I make so that a years worth of past events would not show up in the mashup? Could have it so the post expires a day or two after the event?

Henry

@Tony

I have done something similar before with Geo Mashup. I am not familiar with Comprehensive Google Map plugin but I am sure in theory both plugins do the same job.

The main feature of Geo Mashup is the ability to aggregate all post markers on one map so this ticks the box here. With reference to only displaying future posts – if you use the code i gave in The Events Calendar’s list.php template then you will be able to display a map with future events only.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • The topic ‘Google Maps with All Events’ is closed to new replies.