Google Maps Preview Not Displaying

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Google Maps Preview Not Displaying

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Corry
    Participant

I just purchased the additional Event Aggregator today and all appears to be working except the ability to show the Google Maps. I have turned on the option to display it and before when we were manually adding events everything was working fine (example below).

TORCH Conference

But now when I create the event in Google Calendar with an address, the address comes across but not with the Google Map preview.

Also, is there anyway to have a URL display properly within the description perhaps? I typed in the URL into the description field on Google Calendar but it just imports as plain text vs. a hyperlink.

Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere but I wasn’t having any luck finding any info.

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Corry!

Thanks for reaching out to us and for using our plugins! 🙂

Don’t be sorry for not finding your answer. We are always here to help as much as we can.

Could you please check in the Event Aggregator Import settings and make sure you have the Show Google Map set to “Yes” for iCalendar Import Settings? If it’s not, then set it to “Yes”, save the changes and try importing again. Does it show the map? Let me know.

Also, is there anyway to have a URL display properly within the description perhaps? I typed in the URL into the description field on Google Calendar but it just imports as plain text vs. a hyperlink.

That happens because iCal events are not supposed to have HTML in the events descriptions. So, when they get imported they are just pasted as plain text. As a workaround, you could paste the URL in the iCal description like an html ‘a’ tag like this >

https://theeventscalendar.com/

I hope that helps. Let me know if any other questions and I’ll be happy to help.

Best!
    Victor

Corry
    Participant

Thanks for the input and suggestions Victor. I was able to get the URL situation resolved using the HTML code you suggested using.

Regarding the Google Maps issue, I do have it set to Yes for Show Google Maps and am still having no luck showing a map preview.

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Corry!

I’m sorry that didn’t work for you. 🙁

Is this happening with all the imported events or just some of them? Could you please send me a link to one of those events that are having the map issue?

Also, when editing those events, is the “Show Google Map” checkbox active or not? If it’s not checked, then what happens if you check it and save? Does is show the map then?

Let me know how this goes.

Thanks!
    Victor

Corry
    Participant

Sure thing Victor, here is the link to the 6th test event I’ve tried importing and all haven’t displayed the Google Map.

I did check the settings when editing the event and Show Google Map was enabled already.

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Corry!

Thanks for coming back with the link and info.

I see you don’t have a Google Maps API key set, so could you please try adding a Google Maps API key under Events –> Settings –> APIs ? Does the map show after this? Let me know about it.

Thanks!
    Victor

Corry
    Participant

Victor, thanks for the response again. I believe I have now enabled the API key and both the Javascript API and Google Maps Geocoding API as you’ll see in the screenshot attached.

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Corry!

That’s great! Thanks for that!

I am still seeing the warning message in your event page’s console. Did you copy and pasted the API key in Events –> Settings –> APIs ? If so and the map is still not showing, then we’ll need to make some deeper troubleshooting.

If the issue persists, could you please send me link to the iCal events so I can try to reproduce the issue.

Also, when coming back, please share with us your latest system info by following this guide > https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/sharing-sys-info/

Thanks!
    Victor

Corry
    Participant

Thanks for the response Victor, I have copy and pasted the API into the settings and also turned on the feature to automatically share my system info.

Here is the link to the iCal I currently have setup which I have been testing.

Victor
    Keymaster

Hey Corry!

Thanks for coming back with the iCal link and for sharing your sys info.

I can see the Google Maps API is working fine in your site, so that is not a problem now.

It seems to be the ics format only comes with the name of the location and this is saved as the venue name. For the map to be shown you must input an address in the “Address” field of the Venue.

A workaround to this ICS format limitation would be to not use addresses in the Gcal event and instead use the name of the venue. Once you import the events, you will have to edit the venue and add the address.

The good thing about this is you will only need to do that once and all the future imports that use that same venue name will match the existing one.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll be happy to help. 🙂

Best,
    Victor

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Google Maps Preview Not Displaying’ is closed to new replies.