Google Maps not working on some locations, also not seeing back-end preview.

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Google Maps not working on some locations, also not seeing back-end preview.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Heath Morris
    Participant

Hi there!

A number of our venues don’t show up on Google Maps on the public facing venue page, and also aren’t included in the Map View, as you would expect. However the “Google Map” link on the public facing venue page does bring us to the location in Google Maps in a new tab.

I’ve generated a new Maps API key per the guides, uninstalled and reinstalled the PRO plugin, deleted and re-added venues and events, and experimented with address formats to make sure that I’m using a format that Google picks up on easily when in native Google Maps. None of it has helped so far.

As a workaround, we’ve been hard-coding latitude and longitude into all our venues, but that isn’t a long term solution, because it means our people having to uses Maps to get those numbers every time, and also, when clicking through to native Google Maps in a different tab, Google doesn’t seem to couple the address to a business if you just use the lat and long, which we want in those cases. (instead it just shows businesses that are ‘at this location’ in the sidebar).

Also, the TEC PRO documentation talks about seeing a map preview in the back-end, but I’ve never been able to find that, either in the event edit page or the venue edit page. Perhaps my installation is corrupted somehow?

I’ve tried disconnecting and reconnecting the license key from PRO as well.

Any helps is appreciated. Thanks!

Patricia

Hey Heath,

Thank you for reaching out to us! I’m so sorry to hear that you are having problems with your events maps! Let me help you to solve this!

To get started, could you please access one of the venues that is not displaying Google Maps and another one that is working as expected via Dashboard and send us screenshots? This would help us to identify any discrepancies/errors in your venue setup.

Are you importing these events/venues from external sources or creating them in your own site?

Thanks!

Patricia

Heath Morris
    Participant

Hi Patricia, thanks for the reply.
    I’ve attached screenshots of the front and back ends for 2 venues.

Note that the google maps link works fine for both; it will pull up the location fine in google maps itself.

https://mastersonmethod.com/venue/spirit-gate-farm/
    https://mastersonmethod.com/venue/kentucky-equine-humane-center/

All our events and venues have been manually created inside WordPress.

Thanks,
    Heath

Patricia

Hi Heath,

Thanks for sending us these screenshots! I’ve just created two venues with the exact same addresses and everything is working as expected in my staging site (I wasn’t able to reproduce the issue):

https://ibb.co/gWuaKw
    https://ibb.co/gMsjCG

At this point I would recommend you to check if there are any conflicts causing the issue:

You can start the test by temporarily deactivating all of your plugins (except Modern Tribe plugins) and changing your theme to another one like Twenty Seventeen and let us know if the problem is solved after that (don’t forget to backup your database before changing anything).

Please let me know your test results and I’ll be happy to help you with the next steps!

Cheers,

Patricia

Heath Morris
    Participant

Hi Patricia,

I tried all of that before making the support ticket (except I used Twenty Sixteen), no luck.

I’m wondering if there is an easy way to export all of the events/venues/featured images, etc.

Then I could uninstall TEC and TEC PRO, manually drop any sql stuff they leave behind, so there is a clean slate, and then reinstall/import.

Or is there a debug mode I could activate in TEC?

Let me know what you think,

Thanks!
    Heath

Patricia

Hi Heath,

Before you change anything in your DB, could you please head over to Events → Settings → Map Settings and click the button that says “Fix venues data.”, refresh your Map View and see if that makes a difference?

Answering your question, we do have a debug/event log. You can enable it by accessing your dashboard and heading over to Events > Help > Event Log (screenshot here).

Let me know if fixing the venues data helped you to solve the problem!

Best Regards,

Patricia

Heath Morris
    Participant

Hi Patricia,

I can’t find that button anywhere in the back end, screenshot attached.
    While looking through the support docs a couple days ago, I realized that this “Fix Venues Data” option was missing, which was another thing leading me to wonder if my install is somehow screwed up or corrupted.

Thanks,
    Heath

Raymond Gillespie
    Participant

Just FYI Heath, I think we have the same issue here, and I can’t see the ‘fix venues data’ option either. Might be a bug with the latest version.

Patricia

Hey Heath and Raymond,

The “fix venues data” button only shows up if there is a perceived issue with the data found in the venues. If the button does not appear, it means that the integrity of the date for your venues is problem-free. In other words, this is not the cause of your struggles.

• At this point I would recommend you to recreate the venues just to make sure that everything was correctly saved in your database (no information is missing from your address).
    • Also, could you please search for this venue coordinates in Google Maps and check if the address you get is exactly the same as the one you are using to create your own venues?

Thanks!

Patricia

Patricia

Hi Heath and Raymond,

I hope you are fine!

This is just a quick follow up to let you know that this issue was logged as a bug today: it seems to be related to a problem with the Google Maps API request that generates the Latitude and Longitude coordinates upon creating/saving the venue.

I’m linking this thread to our internal bug report so our developers can take a look. I cannot guarantee when it will be fixed, as it’s in the development team’s hands now, but the good news is that you will be contacted as soon as a solution is available.

Thanks for your understanding and if you have any other questions, please let me know and I’ll be happy to assist!

Best Regards,

Patricia

Heath Morris
    Participant

Thanks Patricia!

Patricia

Hi Heath,

You are welcome! Thank you for your patience. We will contact you as soon as a solution is available!

Best Regards,

Patricia

Nico

Hey,

Happy to share with you that a new maintenance release (for the Week of 22th January 2018) is out, including a fix for this issue.

Find out more about this release → https://theeventscalendar.com/maintenance-release-for-the-week-of-22-january-2018/

Please update the plugins and let us know if the fix works for your site,
    Best,
    Nico

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Google Maps not working on some locations, also not seeing back-end preview.’ is closed to new replies.