Google Maps API Key – daily query limit

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Google Maps API Key – daily query limit

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Singer
    Participant

Hello

I’m having precisely the problem described by Heath in this Support Forums post by Heath, here:

So I’m just going to start by copy-pasting a few of his paragraphs:

“Having a bit of an issue with the plugin since I started using it in that I’m getting the old API daily query limit has been reached message. This is happening in the current build, with a Google Maps JavaScript API key enabled (and showing up in system information as such), and yes I’m on a shared server.

The exact message I see when clicking the Fix Venue Data button is:

(red bar) The latitude and longitude for your venue could not be fetched. The Google Maps API daily query limit has been reached!

(green bar) Fixed geolocation data for 10 venues

It says that it fixes the geolocation but these don’t show up on any of the site maps until I manually input lat and long coordinates, and whatever X amount of venues I have in the current backlog still keep showing the Fix Venue Data button.”

This is exactly my recurring problem. I can add that for all new events I enter, which are the ones it’s saying it can’t geolocate, they will show a map on their individual Event pages, but they don’t show up at all under the main Map View – no pin or mention whatsoever – and they also aren’t searchable by location – for example by City name, nor do any of these new events show up when narrowing the view by Country.

It recurs with nearly every new batch of Events I enter, and persists for a day or two, then usually resolves – although just now they seem rather to be accumulating over the last few days.

I am using a shared IP address. Can this be the problem?

I have a Google Maps API key, and I also see on a different forum post that you’ve advised someone to add a bit of code to add an own Google Maps API key. Is this also advised in the present case?

Thanks for any help with this.

Geoff B.

Good afternoon Andrew and welcome back!

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We are sorry to hear about the issues you’ve been experiencing with your Google maps API daily query limit.
    I would love to help you with this topic.

As my colleague Cliff suggest in the following link, you might want to try these tools: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/the-google-maps-api-daily-query-limit/#post-1149617

I believe what is going on is that different parts of our code use different APIs. In fact there is a bug ticket opened to address that very issue.

Unfortunately, I cannot commit to a release date at this point. But stay tuned, you will be contacted when the fix is released.

In the meantime, I will ask to see if it is possible to get a snippet to address that.
    You might also want to check with your web host to see if it is possible to increase your APIs daily limit for now.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but for now it’s the best one I have.

Best regards,

Geoff B.

Geoff B.

As it turns out, I received the following snippet: https://gist.github.com/cliffordp/9d6c25feb389f98e8ae09a41273a3488

Can you give this a try? And let us know how that goes?

Best regards,

Geoff B.

Andrew Singer
    Participant

Hi Geoff

Thank you – I’ve tried adding that bit of code. Unfortunately it seems to have made things worse. The new events still don’t geolocate fully, in that they don’t appear on the main Map view nor are they searchable by location. And now I’ve lost all the maps on all individual Event pages – they have all become blank white rectangles. I’m removing this code now, and would be happy of course for any further insights or help as may occur.

Andrew

Geoff B.

Good afternoon Andrew,

I am sorry to hear that the snippet did not help.

I do have a couple of follow-up questions for you though:

1. When you used the snippet did you enter your API key in the appropriate section in it?
    2. Also, if you have done the previous properly, were you at least able the click on that fix venue button?

If that still wasn’t helpful to you after confirming two things above, it looks like your only option would be to check with your web host for now unfortunately.

Let me know how that goes.

Best regards,
    Geoff B.

Andrew Singer
    Participant

Hi Geoff

I’ve checked with our programmer. It turns out he hadn’t substituted our API key in the snippet when he tried it last time. But he’s tried it again with the API key, and it still doesn’t work. The maps on individual event pages still turn to blank white rectangles. And it seems the Fix Venue button also still didn’t work. So we’ve taken out this snippet again. Now I’ve geolocated our new Events manually – and they do show up on the Map View and are searchable by location. But this still isn’t happening otherwise with new Events, it seems.

Andrew

Leigh
    Participant

I have the same issue and tried all the solutions with no luck.
    I then contacted my host who say they don’t restrict this and advised I contact google themselves.
    That’all be a dead end then. :/

Geoff B.

Good evening Andrew,

I am very sorry about the inconvenience this is causing for you.

It seems like something is not working properly on your install when it comes to geolocation of the events.
    Would you mind sharing with me which version of Divi you are currently using ?

On certain Divi installs, I have noticed that using the “lattitude +longitude” box by simply checking it and saving (without manually inputting the coordinates) works.

You can see an example of what that looks like here at the very bottom of the article https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/creating-translations-for-events-using-wpml/

Can you check if that works ?

Another quick test, if you can, would be to temporarily switch to a default WordPress theme (e.g.: twenty-fifteen) to see if the issue persists.

@Leigh, would you mind opening a separate thread on this so that we can look at your specific system information and assist you in a more personalized manner ?

Let me know how that goes.

Best regards,
    Geoff B.

Andrew Singer
    Participant

Hi Geoff

We’re running an old version of the Divi theme (version 2.1), and I’m pretty sure that’s related to the current problem, given previous quirks. We tried updating to the most recent version 2.3.4, but experienced too many formatting glitches, couldn’t manage it all and finally just reverted to the old version, unfortunately.

I can confirm that just clicking the latitude and longitude checkbox for an event does not impel it to geolocate. Such events are still absent from the main Map View, and when I return to the editor the check box is no longer checked. Only looking up and entering the coordinates manually works at present to get the event on the main Map View, and searchable by location. But the local event pages do show it fine.

So, the problem persists, unfortunately.

Geoff B.

Good evening Andrew,

Yikes, that is terrible news. I am sorry that the issue persists.

As a side note, Divi is now at version 3.0.14 at the time of writing.
    From experience, you are absolutely right, so much has changed in the last few iterations that you cannot port old Divi looks to the new versions without some serious integration rework.

It unfortunately looks like will not be able do to much to be able to support this older version of Divi for that glitch.
    There is however a ticket open to integrate the Google Maps API key on every possible screen and interface we use.

Unfortunately, I cannot commit to a release date at this point. But stay tuned, you will be contacted when the fix is released.

It looks like the only viable short term solution involves manual input of latitude and longitude, which is less than ideal (to say the least).
    We are sorry for the inconvenience this is causing.

Have a good week-end,

Geoff B.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Courtney

Hey there Andrew & Leigh

We’ve just released an update that should fix this bug. You can read more about it at http://m.tri.be/19tp. Please update your plugins and let us know if you are still experiencing this or if we can close out this ticket.

Note: We suggest testing updates on a staging server (https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/creating-using-wordpress-staging-site/).

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Google Maps API Key – daily query limit’ is closed to new replies.