Geocoding fails with working API key

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Geocoding fails with working API key

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Florian
    Participant

When creating new venues in the backend the plugin tells me that I reached the rate limit of my Google Maps API Key. But I did not!
    In the Google API console I can see that new requests are coming in and that the rate limit is not reached at all (see screenshot attached).

The new venues are not having a geolocation and therefore are not showing up in the map view. Also I am not able to do location searches.

Any ideas what’s wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Best
    Florian

Victor
    Keymaster

Hey Florian!

Thanks for getting in touch and for using our plugins! 🙂

I’m sorry you are having that issue. It seems a bit strange.

Are you getting the error after you create a new venue? or in the edit screen? A screenshot of it could be useful.

When searching for locations, could you please check and share with me if there are any console errors by inspecting the page? Here’s how to do that > https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/using-google-chrome-developer-tools/

Thanks,
    Victor

Florian
    Participant

Hi Victor,

Thank you very much for your help!

Geocoding fails on creating and updating venues. It also fails when trying to fix geolocation data from settings (see screenshots attached).

Location search is working when manually adding latitude and longitude to venues. Then events/ venues are found without a problem.

Thanks!

Florian

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Florian!

Thanks for coming back with all the details and the screenshots.

I could not reproduce the issue using your Google Maps API.

I see there are no console errors when showing the maps in the frontend, but how about when adding/editing an event? Could you check for console errors while in those pages?

If there are no errors, then it could be related to a plugin or theme conflict, so could you please go through the complete steps in this guide > https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/testing-for-conflicts/ and let me know what you can find in the process?

Thanks,
    Victor

Florian
    Participant

Hi Victor!

Thanks for your help!

I did like you suggested. I activated the Twenty Sixteen Theme and had only Events Calendar and Events Calendar PRO active.

But the same error occurs. And there were no errors or warning in the console.

So I deleted the API key and created a whole new one. And it started working!

I have no idea what was wrong with the other one. Maps were working fine and I saw successfully incoming requests on that key…

Thanks for your help! I guess that was some really strange problem.

Best
    Florian

Lars
    Participant

Hi Florian,

We had these problems occurring while external editors submitted hundreds of events, but we found out that manually clicking on the checkbox (use Lng/lat coordinates) in “places” it finds the geo-values (if the address, city etc. are put in correctly), if not we used: https://google-developers.appspot.com/maps/documentation/utils/geocoder/ to find those lng/lat.. so quickly find them and input them manually .. The limit-error disappear when those are fixed in this way, but you’ll have to do it on them all if possible .. when those are set events calendar doesn’t need to call google api for every load in front/back.

Just a quick-fix and it seem that missing geo-coordinates causes calendar to completely flip out. We managed to locate them fast using the plugin “Admin columns” and put in those fields so we could see the missing/wrong address, geo location etc etc in the listing of places .. we use the same plugin to show us where featured images are missing etc etc fast.

You can find the plugin mentioned here: https://da.wordpress.org/plugins/codepress-admin-columns/

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Florian! Hi Lars!

Florian, while it seems strange, I’m glad you could find a solution for it. Thanks for coming back and letting us know about it.

Lars, thanks for sharing your experience. This could really be of much help!

Based on both of your comments, I’ve been able to track down a report we have related to Google Maps API handling in the WP admin. While this has not been identified as a bug, the team is reviewing some aspects of this, and there may be some adjustments in the future.

I will link this thread to that report and we will let you know in case there are some changes for this in a future release.

Have a nice week!
    Victor

Florian
    Participant

Just a short update on this issue.
    The problem comes back and goes away again from time to time.
    Looks like in the morning geocoding is working but in the afternoon it fails… Not really sure if that is actually the case – at least it feels like so.
    But still I am not seeing any API limits be reached.

Any updates on that?

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Florian!

Thanks for following up on this and letting us know about your findings.

I don’t have any updates about this issue, yet. All I can tell right now it’s in the devs hands, so rest assured it will be taken care of in a future release.

I will raise a flag here to see if I can get an update and will keep you posted.

This issue might be related to your site’s hosting as well. In the meantime, could you please let me know if you are on a shared or vps server?

Thanks,
    Victor

Florian
    Participant

Hi Victor,

Thanks for your quick reply. Your help is much appreciated!

The site is running on a shared host.

Thanks!

Best
    Florian

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Florian!

Thanks for following up and letting us know about that.

For the moment, we have identified the source of the problem to the Google Maps API not being used when editing/saving venues and this is mostly affecting users that are using shared hosting.

Since the Google Map API is IP based when it’s not going through our key, it will exceed its limits systematically. In other words, not all the Google Maps API calls from our code are going through your Google Maps API key. This in turn prevents you from fixing geolocation on venues.

Unfortunately, I cannot commit to a release date at this point. But stay tuned, you will be contacted when the fix is released.

Thanks for taking your time on this and we’d appreciate your patience.

Best,
    Victor

Courtney

Hey there Florian

We’ve just released an update that should fix this bug. You can read more about it at http://m.tri.be/19tp. Please update your plugins and let us know if you are still experiencing this or if we can close out this ticket.

Note: We suggest testing updates on a staging server (https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/creating-using-wordpress-staging-site/).

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Geocoding fails with working API key’ is closed to new replies.