"Free" displaying next to event price

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO "Free" displaying next to event price

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    leeanndz
    Participant

Hello,
    I believe I have discovered a conflict between Events Calendar PRO & Event Tickets. We are having a problem with the word “Free” showing up next to the listed price which is causing considerable confusion for the viewer. See attached images. This is showing up on both the event detail page and the archive.

I have gone through the normal troubleshooting process of trying the default theme and turning off all plugins. The problem occurs when only these two plugins are activated. I was not actively involved in the maintenance of the site until very recently, but according to my client, this problem showed up after the most recent auto update of WordPress core files and some plugins.

I have now updated all plugins to their most recent version where possible including Events Calendar PRO ver 4.4.29.2 & Event Tickets ver 4.7.5.1

If I disable Event Tickets, I am able to get the “free” label to disappear by resaving the post. When I reactivate the Event Tickets plugin the “free” label does not show up until I resave the post.

My client does charge for her events, however she does not take online payments at this time, so we are using the RSVP feature within Event Tickets.

I saw on the screenshots of the plugin page on wordpress.org that this plugin was being used in conjuction with a pricing structure so I would think this would not be an intentional feature, but perhaps it is?

How can I go about trouble shooting this problem, or removing this feature? (I tried a css hack, but the output is all in one class)

Thanks
    Lance

Courtney

Hi Lee Ann

Can you share a screenshot from the editor mode where the $25 is being added?

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

leeanndz
    Participant

Hello Courtney ~

I’m not certain I’m the best one to answer these questions, as Lance is
    helping me out with the
    technical, which I don’t know much about. I did take a screen shot,
    uncertain if this is what you
    want.

Thank you for your help ~ Lee Ann

*Lee Ann Dzelzkalns*
    BSW, MS – Sound Healing Practitioner,
    Spiritual Guide & Catalyst
    L A CONSULTING, INC.
    http://www.syinthesis.com

SYINTHESIS® Sound

Courtney

Hi Lee Ann

Can you please upload the screenshot to this thread at https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/free-displaying-next-to-event-price/. Responding by email will not pass the attached file to us.

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

leeanndz
    Participant

Hi Courtney,
    My apologies for the confusion. I am helping Lee Ann with the tech issues and forgot to update the email address on the account to alert me to responses.

I have attached the screen shot.

Thanks for your help.
    Lance

Courtney

Hi Lance

Glad to get this back on track with you.

I’d like to get a bit more clarity. Usually, the cost field only appears in The Events Calendar/ Events Calendar Pro. It doesn’t display when using Event Tickets.

Are you using https://theeventscalendar.com/extensions/show-cost-field/?

What do you see on an event when you turn off Event Tickets/ET+? Does the “free” still display? And if you use the extension Show Cost Field, and also disable, does “Free” still display?

Then if you turn on Event Tickets/ET+, without that extension, and create a new event, does Free display anywhere?

I don’t see a license for Event Tickets Plus on this ticket, so I am gathering you likely aren’t using it on this site.

Your System Info https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/sharing-sys-info/ came through a bit mixed up, so it’s not easy to read through to determine some of the plugins/extensions that may be installed here. Would you mind copy/pasting that again here as a PRIVATE reply?

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Courtney

Hi Lance

I did a bit more digging.

Add this snippet to either your child theme’s functions.php file or use the My Custom Functions plugin. 

add_filter( 'tribe_get_cost', 'tribe_remove_free_text_from_cost_range', 10, 3 );

function tribe_remove_free_text_from_cost_range( $cost, $post_id, $with_currency_symbol ) {
        return str_replace( 'Free', '', $cost );
    }

Please let me know if that hides the “FREE” being generated by RSVPs.

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

leeanndz
    Participant

Hi Courtney,
    You are correct, we do not have the Events pro version. We also have no extensions installed, just Events Calendar Pro & Event Tickets

Thanks so much for that piece of code find. From that insight, I actually found that same piece of code already included in a custom plugin, however someone had added the hyphen mark “-” to try and also remove that and it caused it not to find the “free” label in order to replace it with no text.

This seems to fix the immediate problem of showing the “free” label next to the price. The one concern I have is if she decides to have a free event in the future, the free label will not be displayed. I am thinking I might be able to create a conditional statement to check the value stored in the cost field and then either hide or show that label. Could you point me in the right direction of where that value is saved?

I will check with my client and make sure she is ok with how it looks. She is traveling right now so it might take her a little time to check in and get back to me.

Thanks Again
    Lance

leeanndz
    Participant

This reply is private.

Courtney

Hey there

I checked in with a few other team members on the conditional logic. You could use the get_event_costs( $event ) function from

https://github.com/moderntribe/the-events-calendar/blob/master/src/Tribe/Cost_Utils.php#L46-L77

If that exceeds your coding ability, this is a perfect candidate for our custom development queue. We can’t promise that we’ll get to it soon, but customizing an existing snippet that we have would help you achieve this.

Let me know if you’d like me to move this thread to that queue.

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

leeanndz
    Participant

Hi Courtney,
    If this is something you guys can help with that would be great. I have a basic understanding of php and have programmed some custom functions, but to be honest I am still learning and would like the support to make sure it is a solid piece of code that operates properly and does not break with future updates.

Is there an associated cost with the custom development request?

Lance

Courtney

Hey Lance

In this case, no cost. However, I can’t promise a response date yet. I’ll move your thread to that queue for now, and won’t receive updates on the status. One of our teammates will respond as soon as we’ve got a little extra bandwidth for customizations like this.

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘"Free" displaying next to event price’ is closed to new replies.