For Conferences: Making Custom Additional Fields into links w/ pages

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO For Conferences: Making Custom Additional Fields into links w/ pages

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jamie Oastler
    Participant

What I’m hoping you can answer is the “best” way to do the following given that I’m setting up the events calendar plugin to manage a 3-day conference where there will be many events of different categories, venues (rooms rather than actual different locations) and meta data.

In events/single.php it calls ‘tribe_the_custom_fields’ passing the ID to output the entire list of additional (custom) fields. If I wanted each piece of meta data for a given event to be a link (similar to how venue / category are), how would I go about doing that?

Can a custom field have its’ own page to list all events that include it?

Rob

Hey Jamie. Interesting question; not sure about this one myself, but let me see if Jonah has any ideas when he hits the forums next.

On a higher level, we have a conference manager add-on in the works that should make running conferences easier. We recently put together some wireframes and shared those on our Facebook page. Check them out:

* Timeline schedule: http://cl.ly/DcBs
    * List schedule: http://cl.ly/DbrG
    * Session: http://cl.ly/Dbht

In terms of timetable, I don’t see it as any earlier than June (at the earliest).

Jonah
    Participant

Hey Jamie,

No, a custom field itself cannot have it’s own page listing records that use that field or contain a certain value. But, couldn’t you setup additional pages with custom queries that check for those specific custom fields? Or, couldn’t you use additional taxonomies that would function similarly to venues and categories (specific pages for those taxonomy terms)?

It might help to get some examples of exactly what you’re trying to setup because it’s hard for me envision what you want to do.

– Jonah

Jamie Oastler
    Participant

The scenario I was intending it was that each event has a custom field identifying genre or topics that a particular presentation would cover, but it could just as easily apply for any of the following:
    -Event would include / require projector or specific equipment: pick list
    -Event is being recorded yes / no
    -What software / version other meta is being discussed.

In all of those cases, having a method to view all events that are particular to that data scenario would be useful. If I think about it in comparison to the WP 3.1+ implementation of custom post types, having the option within the /events/ template of creating an archive-[customfield] and single-[customfield] which returns the results of any events which have that custom field selected….The filter / sort around particular data for the field is quite manageable from there.

I’ve since found an alternate approach that my particular need for it in the short term isn’t required, but would be a good feature to consider in the “events calendar can scale displays as big as the meta data you can dream about” perspective.

Jonah
    Participant

Hey Jamie,

Good ideas but as far as I know there is no method in WordPress for viewing a custom field specific archive without manually creating it. I.e. there is no archive-[customfield] or single-[customfield] in WordPress but some themes may incorporate some functionality similar to this.

The only way to do that I know of would be to create manual page templates for these types of pages…

If there are features you’d like incorporated into the plugin I would suggest adding them to out Feature Request thread: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/events-calendar-pro-feature-requests/

Thanks,
    Jonah

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘For Conferences: Making Custom Additional Fields into links w/ pages’ is closed to new replies.