Followup: Events Categories Showing All Events

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Followup: Events Categories Showing All Events

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    336creative
    Participant

As a followup to https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/events-categories-showing-all-events/, which was closed by another user, I am still having trouble with the event categories showing all events instead of only events in their categories, even after following the instructions in that entry. In fact, since I am using custom templates, I even disabled my templates in order to resort back to the plugin templates, and the events are still all showing instead of being limited to the events in the category selected.

To see this in action, visit http://ljvm.at336creative.wpengine.com/events/category/wfu-womens-basketball/. The WFU MEN’S BASKETBALL VS. SYRACUSE and WFU MEN’S BASKETBALL VS. GEORGIA TECH events should not be showing since they are categorized only as Men’s Basketball, and this is the Women’s Basketball category. Please advise asap!

Brook
    Participant

Howdy 336creative,

Could you try reverting to the default 2012 theme temporarily, and seeing if the issue persists. From the look of it this issue is quite likely caused by a customization, as I am unable to reproduce it in my tests.

If disabling the theme fixes it, we have narrowed the issue down to the theme. Can you try disabling Events customizations within your theme one-by-one to find out which of them is causing it? You say you have already tried disabling your Events overrides. Mind trying that once more by renaming your [themename]/tribe-events/ folder to ‘tribe-events-bak’. If possible I would also try disabling your theme’s function.php by renaming it as well. But, if that crashes the theme, then can you comment out or otherwise disable any tribe-events specific customizations and see if that fixes it.

If the issue persists in the default 2012 theme, then we have a different set of debugging steps. Please keep the 2012 theme enabled, and also disable any plugins other than Tribe to see if that fixes. If it does, please try reenabling them one at a time until the issue resurfaces.

Let me know if you have any questions, I would be glad to help. Once you have followed those steps and narrowed it down, please let us know which of those things is conflicting so we can assist with a resolution. Thanks!

– Brook

336creative
    Participant

Ok so I defaulted to 2012 and it showed that no events matched the category, which obviously isn’t true:
    Screen Shot 2014-01-30 at 12.19.35 PM.png

I then went through and disabled plugins one by one. Finally, after disabling Easy Content Types, the events seemed to report back properly as intended in their proper category. However, after leaving ECT disabled and reenabling my theme, the events still show up previously like they did, ignoring the category limiters.

So, not sure where that takes us, but I definitely need some help!

Brook
    Participant

Thanks for being so thorough and keeping good track. That really helps us narrow it down.

Definitely keep ECT disabled. Anything that messes with post_types could easily wreak havoc on other plugins that uses WP post_types, like the Events Calendar. First thing I would try is flushing permalinks. Would you mind following these steps: http://wp-bytes.com/function/2013/02/flushing-permalinks/

If that does not work could you try running through these steps on your custom theme:

Can you try disabling Events customizations within your theme one-by-one to find out which of them is causing it? You say you have already tried disabling your Events overrides. Mind trying that once more by renaming your [themename]/tribe-events/ folder to ‘tribe-events-bak’. If possible I would also try disabling your theme’s function.php by renaming it as well. But, if that crashes the theme, then can you comment out or otherwise disable any tribe-events specific customizations and see if that fixes it.

Please let me know what you find out. I would be glad to help further if I can. Thanks!

– Brook

336creative
    Participant

I can’t keep ECT disabled as that is a core part of the theme customization for our site. So we’re going to have to find a work around.

I flushed permalinks to no success. I renamed tribe-events in my theme to tribe-events-bak, and it shows an error that no events match the category when viewing the page.

So still suck…..not sure what else to do here….

336creative
    Participant

We switched from using a custom loop to modifying the default Tribe one and were able to resolve the issue. Thanks for the help and direction!

Brook
    Participant

Interesting. Thanks for the update. Definitely a help to others who might be trying to do a similar customization. Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Followup: Events Categories Showing All Events’ is closed to new replies.