Facebook importer timing out

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Facebook importer timing out

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Deena
    Participant

Hi,

Your calendar plugin is amazing and beautiful – thank you!!!

My question:

I am trying to set up my site to import from hundreds of Facebook pages (I’m almost at 200 but plan to add another couple hundred) but when I try to use it, it stops in the middle – not all the pages’ events are loaded and the buttom doesn’t appear at the bottom which means I can’t even import the events that do appear in the list.

Is there any way to prevent this timing out?

(I found this forum topic but it doesn’t completely answer my question.)

Thank you!
    Deena

George
    Participant

Hey Deena,

Thanks for reaching out and for the kind words about our plugins.

“Hundreds of Facebook pages” is an immense amount of data, especially if each page then has several events on each import. This is a massive amount of data and, especially depending on your web host and server, this amount of pages simply may not be possible.

How are you hosting your website, specifically? What web host are you using?

I would recommend reaching out to their support team here to see if they can increase the amount of resources your server can use, which might help here, but to be completely candid it simply may not be possible to import from so many hundreds of pages. Facebook itself may be limiting the number of requests to their API, for example, and then your server too has its own limits, so this may be an insurmountable problem. 🙁

Sorry to disappoint!

Sincerely,
    George

Deena
    Participant

Hi George,

Thank you very much for your quick reply. I was hoping it was true what was written in the thread I linked to that there is no limit but it does make sense that it might not work for so many pages at once.

I will need to rethink how to use this addon.

Thanks again,
    Deena

Deena
    Participant

Actually I just wanted to mention that many of the pages only have events sporadically. In this case, any idea what the limit might actually be?

Thanks.

George
    Participant

Hey Deena,

Thank you for the follow-up. It is true that our plugin itself does not impose a limit on the number of pages; however, if your requests are timing out, then this is happening on the level of the server. Despite what might frequently be a low number of events per page, I would recommend contacting your web host to see if they can spot the reason for the timeouts on your server.

I hope this yields some insight into the nature of the timeouts; in the meantime, you can post your “System Information” here if you’re so inclined, as per the instructions on this page → https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/sharing-sys-info/

That is not likely to reveal any issues, but it might, and I’m happy to take a look. Open a support ticket with your web host in the meantime and let us know what they say! 😀

Thank you,
    George

Deena
    Participant

Hi George,

My hosting provider took a look and indeed because I’m on a shared server it times out. I’d need to upgrade to fix the problem.

Thank you for your help!

Deena

George
    Participant

Thanks for sharing this! I wish you the best of luck with your site. While I’ll close this thread for now, if you have any other issues, questions, concerns, etc., come back and open a new thread any time. 😀

Cheers!
    George

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Facebook importer timing out’ is closed to new replies.