EVENTS LIST vs EVENTS CALENDAR

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO EVENTS LIST vs EVENTS CALENDAR

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Tim
    Participant

When I add the EVENTS LIST (set to filter a category) to my website it displays the upcoming events in order

However when I add the EVENTS CALENDAR (set to filter a category) it shows them totally out of order.

Any idea why?

I have left both widgets on this page http://melbournemagicfestival.com/program/kids-shows/ so you can see what is going on.

(Yes – I know the font size is RIDICILOUSLY big. Our developer refuses to change it as she thinks it looks good but we hate it!)

Barry

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear you are hitting up against some difficulties here.

I definitely see the problem if I flip to June via your calendar widget, however I cannot replicate locally and I haven’t seen many other reports along these lines.

With that in mind, I can’t help but wonder if this might be a theme or plugin conflict. Are you (or your developer) able to run through our standard testing steps to see if this might be the case?

You could of course run through this process on a testing/staging site to avoid disruption to the live site.

Is that a possibility here?

Tim
    Participant

I will try but I have a feeling they won’t assist. So far I have had to solve all of the problems (and there have been many) on my own.

I also notice that if I click the SEE MORE url at the bottom of the UPCOMING WORKSHOPS & CLASSES widget on this page
    http://melbournemagicfestival.com/program/workshops-classes/

it takes me to a blank page http://melbournemagicfestival.com/events/category/workshops-classes/ even though there are many more events that SHOULD be displaying

Barry

That is odd – the events category view should use essentially the same template/layout as the regular events page and that clearly isn’t happening.

I will try but I have a feeling they won’t assist. So far I have had to solve all of the problems (and there have been many) on my own.

I do sympathize – but neither problem are things we see widespread reports of, which tends to suggest they are specific to your site.

The suggested troubleshooting steps can help to determine if the cause is a conflict and – in order to avoid disruption to your live site – remember that you can also perform them on a duplicate staging site, or, you can create a fresh WordPress installation in a sub-directory and essentially perform the same steps in reverse: start with only our plugins and incrementally add the rest (and ultimately the same theme) as you have on your live site.

The last thing we want is for you to feel you are solving problems without help, but the difficulty in some situations – like this one – is that if we cannot replicate the problem ourselves then we really depend on your assistance in troubleshooting things locally we are otherwise unable to do on your behalf.

Tim
    Participant

The designeres, Silverlane Studio, replied saying

Also of note, the side bar title sizes only blew out after you added the search widget to the sidebar. So, at this stage, it’s impossible to know what has broken what, in terms of plugin conflicts.

They refuse to run the tests to determine what plugin is conflicting and are blaming us for adding the widget to the sidebar.

This company forced us to use your Events Calendar. Previously we used Timely All in One, however all we have had are problems (we can’t schedule exceptions for recurring events, the website theme affects your plug in CSS, they installed Yoast SEO which conflicts with your plug in – we had to uninstall it ourselves, the filter bar won’t display, events are showing in non-chronological order, the ‘Related Events’ feature doesn’t actually show related events.. at first it was just the same three events, now it’s random.. and on and on).

Honestly, we are at a loss.

The support we have received here in the Forums is MORE than we have received from the designers who “designed” our site!

Tim
    Participant

I tried deactivating plugins myseld – one by one – but nothing altered the issue of FONT SIZE.

I am attaching screen shots of the plugins with the hope that something might be obvious to you in terms of conflict…

Tim
    Participant

Sorry, the last screen shot is irrelevant

Tim
    Participant

I tested the site and deleted one plugin, the REDIRECT ALL 404s TO HOMEPAGE, and that fixed another issue I was having with the VIEW AS button not functioning properly.

None of the plugins seem to be affecting the non-chronological display in the Calendar Widget though

Tim
    Participant

I did switch the theme to 2015 but then the Calendar Widget disappeared completely…

Tim
    Participant

Please check the page http://melbournemagicfestival.com/events/

The only issue now is the COLLAPSE FILTERS button – try it, you’ll see

Tim
    Participant

Nope, there is still another issue:

Go to http://melbournemagicfestival.com/events/today/ and switch to the DAY view (try July 9 for example) and all of the events are listed non-chronologically. They appear to be listed as most recent entry first

Tim
    Participant

Here is a summary of the issues we are having with this page

The VIEW AS option when selected as DAY displays the events in order of entry and not chronologically
    The VIEW AS option when selected as PHOTO displays enormous size header text
    The VIEW AS option when displayed as WEEK displays the wrong week and no events at all
    The HORIZONTAL FILTER BAR won’t collapse when the COLLAPSE FILTER button is pressed

And with this page

The UPCOMING EVENTS widget displays enormous header text and when you click the SEE MORE button you get an archive page with no events
    The UPCOMING EVENTS CALENDAR widget displays the events in order of entry, with enormous header text, and when you click the SEE MORE button it takes you to an archive page with no entries

Tim
    Participant

Sorry – the links don’t seem to be working in here anymore. The two pages are:

http://melbournemagicfestival.com/events/

http://melbournemagicfestival.com/program/kids-shows/

Barry

Hi Tim,

I was just chatting with Brian (who you are working with in this other topic) and we noticed you are cross-posting a lot of the same replies.

It could definitely be that these problems have a common source (whether a conflict with your theme or something else) but equally it’s important we stay as focused as possible. In this specific case – unless it has now been solved – the problem you raised was with the order of events displaying in the calendar widget, when set to filter things down to a specific category.

Let’s concentrate on that problem here:

• It sounds like you deactivated all other plugins and the problem remained
    • When you switched to a default theme the widget disappeared: what you would need to do here is visit Appearance → Widgets after changing the theme and restore it – can you confirm if you were able to do this, or else give it a try now?
    • In your last few replies you don’t mention the original issue (with ordering of events in the calendar widget) at all – with that in mind, can you confirm it is indeed still an active problem?

Please also bear in mind that you do not necessarily have to test on your live site, you could create a test site and so avoid disruption to your live site.

Again, I’m sorry you’re having a rough time of it and we’re here to help – but if possible let’s stay focused on no more than one issue for each support topic you create.

Thanks!

Tim
    Participant

The order of events is still a problem, as you can see if you visit the page

I cannot do anymore testing as the developers have several things yet to fix with mobile functionality and when I test or do anything like that they tell me the site is “no longer their responsibility to fix” as I have “altered it”.

Yet they refuse to fix the problem themselves saying they will get to it in a few weeks.

I think I need to uninstall EVENTS CALENDAR and go back to ALL IN ONE, which I know and use on my other sites

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘EVENTS LIST vs EVENTS CALENDAR’ is closed to new replies.