Events Calendar taken site down due to Slow Query

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Events Calendar taken site down due to Slow Query

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Barry

Thanks for your patience here 🙂

We were able to run some tests within a WP Engine hosting account and could certainly see some warnings – long query warnings in particular – being generated. Though performance was snappy this was admittedly not on a live site, under load from real traffic.

As a number of you seem to be hitting very real problems here we are of course going to do what we can to try and make some improvements with regards to query performance and will quite likely start with an attempt at minimizing the number of long queries that take place.

Realistically this work may span more than one release cycle: querying is central to the plugin and we need to take the time to get it right – but do bear with us and we’ll do what we can here 🙂

Thanks!

Barry

One other thing to try, for those of you using WP Engine, is adding the following piece of code in your wp-config.php file:

define( ‘WPE_GOVERNOR’, false );

This should serve to stop WP Engine from killing queries where they exceed a certain length (which is being used as an indicator of a poorly performing query, even though this does not always hold true).

Let us know how you get on!

jebs38
    Participant

Barry, I tried that and I do not know that it had any effect. I am still seeing error codes that look the same to me. WPEngine says that we should be OK and that site should not have any issues with it being taken down.

Barry

Thanks for the feedback, John.

@jongsmith
    @nakturnal – has the same approach helped you guys at all?

jebs38
    Participant

Barry,
    Will updating to the latest version help me with this particular issue? I did not notice anything about it in the release notes.
    John

jebs38
    Participant

I meant changelog not release notes.

jebs38
    Participant

Barry, I have updated my site and I am getting a traffic spike and the calendar is crashing my site and causing 504 errors. This is really bad. This is my one time every year when I get incredible traffic and I am concerned about the next few days. Please contact me.

Barry

Hi John,

Let me say first of all I’m really sorry you’re having continued difficulties here.

At this stage, it’s probably best to create a new thread of your own – partly to avoid confusion but also to ensure we are alerted when you make a reply: right now, though a change is in the works to resolve this, we are only alerted when the original poster updates the thread.

I have updated my site and I am getting a traffic spike and the calendar is crashing my site and causing 504 errors.

That’s not a great position to be in and I definitely sympathize. In the past I’ve looked at your site and noted (for instance) that month view is set to display a very large number of events per day, rather than cutting things off at a maximum of 4 followed by a see more link.

If that’s still the case, would it be possible to amend that setting (and similarly, if you have configured things so that a large number of events are shown in list-type views perhaps that could also be reduced by some margin).

Beyond that I’m not sure there’s too much we can offer right at this time especially as I’m aware we’ve covered many of the standard options potentially available to you in the course of previous support threads. Well tailored caching makes a tremendous difference but I realize caching is handled automatically by your host and so you’re pretty restricted there … maybe it’s worth talking to them to see if there’s anything else they can do?

If you are dealing with large traffic spikes I also wonder if scaling up (temporarily) – or scaling out – is an option?

amurphy59
    Participant

Barry –
    I have the same 504 error issue, using WP Engine. Having purchase Woo Tickets.
    What is the status of your fixes at this point? It sounds like a definite breakdown in the query logic.

Barry

I’m sorry we missed your reply, amurphy59. As I was describing to John we are (unfortunately) not notified if someone other than the original poster updates the thread and so creating fresh threads of your own is the best course of action.

At this point I’ll go ahead and close the thread, but definitely feel free to create new threads as needed if you require further help or advice.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • The topic ‘Events Calendar taken site down due to Slow Query’ is closed to new replies.