Events Calendar sidebar widget – strange behavior after upgrade

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Events Calendar sidebar widget – strange behavior after upgrade

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dorian Speed
    Participant

I originally brought this up on another thread – sorry about that.
    Original thread was with regard to the snippet to fix the issues with the most recent calendar upgrade. (https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/1st-day-of-october-starting-on-wrong-day/)

I added the snippet, but it did not fix the issue on my client’s site. On the calendar page (http://www.victoriachamber.org/events/), October was starting on the wrong day of the week. It appears that the update changed the site’s General settings to say that the week started on Monday (it had been set to Sunday). After changing it back to Sunday, that fixed the error.

This is the REALLY WEIRD part. I know you are probably not going to believe me, but: the calendar widget somehow got switched to the default WP Calendar widget. I watched the widget’s formatting change when I did the upgrade and I didn’t realize I was now looking at the default WordPress calendar of posts.

It happened both on a widgeted area on the homepage of the site AND on the sidebar. I have since switched it out with the actual ECP widget and it appears to be working fine-ish. The events no longer display on tooltip but perhaps that’s how it’s supposed to be working with the update. I will go into the settings and see.

I *know* I didn’t switch out the widget with the default WP calendar widget. I cloned the site a couple of weeks ago: dev.victoriachamber.org. The widgets on that site are using the ECP version of the calendar, not the default WP calendar, and I haven’t fooled with the live site (victoriachamber.org) as far as the widgeted areas since then.

I would test on the dev.victoriachamber.org site to see if upgrading to ECP 3.1 causes the same thing to happen but it won’t save my license key in the settings. Even when I switch to Twenty Thirteen, deactivate plugins, check for updates, etc. So the dev.victoria.org site is running ECP version 2.0.11. On that site, the events calendar sidebar widget just displays nothing. I guess that’s because it doesn’t recognize the license key for ECP.

Barry

Hi Dorian,

Thanks for breaking this out into a separate thread.

This is the REALLY WEIRD part. I know you are probably not going to believe me, but: the calendar widget somehow got switched to the default WP Calendar widget. I watched the widget’s formatting change when I did the upgrade and I didn’t realize I was now looking at the default WordPress calendar of posts.

I can indeed believe you and it sounds like a behaviour reserved for certain upgrades has been triggered, somehow. Generally though this shouldn’t happen and certainly in the main it’s not something users run into – without knowing precisely what chain of events preceded this change it’s difficult to advise you beyond suggesting you change it back.

Regarding your dev site, if you only have a single site license then you will not be able to reuse your license key, however, so long as you don’t post any support requests relating to the dev site there is particular restriction there and not having a license key in place will not impact on the operation of the plugin in anyway (if you want to maintain a separate dev/testing site as many people do).

I hope that helps, but please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kelly
    Participant

Hi, Dorian. As it’s been more than a couple of weeks since your last post, I’m going to close this thread. Please feel free to open a new one if you choose to pursue this further.

Thanks! 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Events Calendar sidebar widget – strange behavior after upgrade’ is closed to new replies.