Events Calendar sidebar widget breaks mobile menu

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Events Calendar sidebar widget breaks mobile menu

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    vladtheinhaler
    Participant

Hi, I’ve noticed an annoying little display bug when using the Events Calendar sidebar widget on the mobile version of my site: something in the widget is breaking the mobile menu. Specifically, the mobile menu button appears correctly in the header, but when I tap it, there’s a brief flicker but no sidebar menu emerges. I’ve tried using every available mobile menu style in the theme, but the problem occurs in every one, regardless of the menu design or appearance behavior. Pages that either don’t have the Events Calendar widget or use the Events List widget (instead of the month view) work fine.

Both the theme I’m using (Total) and your plugin are very widely used, so I’m surprised to see this bug and wonder if it’s a conflict that has appeared as a result of a new version of one or the other. Will be posting this on both the theme and plugin support pages and hoping one or the other will a) know what’s going on and b) have a fix.

To see the issue in action, compare these two pages:

Home

Events List – works

FEMA Releases Planning Considerations: Complex Coordinated Terrorist Attacks

Events Calendar – breaks

Interestingly, I see the bug in Chrome/iOS but if I use the emulator in the dev console for Chrome/Windows, the bug doesn’t appear. Probably irrelevant, but I mention it because more information is better than less, right?

Hi William,

Thanks so much for reaching out!

Could you please send me a copy of the latest version of your WordPress theme / child theme via a link to a .zip file link (stored Dropbox or Google Drive) so that I can run some tests on my end ? I recommend a private reply for that purpose.

Please ensure you are using the latest files as found on your actual website.

This way I will get access to any updates or customizations you might have made.

Basically the goal here is just for me to confirm that this issue is present on the latest version of our plugin.  I cannot guarantee that I can provide a resolution to this issue.

Please also note that support for theme conflicts is limited as stated in our support policy.

You may also want to reach out to your theme developers in the meantime to see if they have any solutions for you on this issue as well.

In the meantime, I’d recommend taking a look at your stylesheets and page templates and see if altering these settings helps you to achieve the results that you are looking for:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/stylesheets-and-page-templates/

Let me know if anything else comes up in the meantime!

Thanks,

Jaime

vladtheinhaler
    Participant

This reply is private.

This reply is private.

vladtheinhaler
    Participant

This reply is private.

This reply is private.

vladtheinhaler
    Participant

This reply is private.

Hi William,

Thank you for that explanation.  I am able to see the issue occurring with the mobile menu.

As you have determined that this is a theme issue, I’d recommend continuing this conversation with your theme developers or choosing a compatible theme.

https://theeventscalendar.com/compatible-themes-the-events-calendar/

Let me know if that helps!

Thanks,

Jaime

vladtheinhaler
    Participant

The link you provide to ThemeForest’s list of compatible themes includes Total, the theme I’m using for this site. This suggests that theme compatibility isn’t the issue. If I sort by best-selling themes, Total is fourth on the list, so it’s obviously very widely used and the them is likely not inherently the problem by itself. Indeed, I’d evaluated EC Pro years ago and decided not to use it. . . then decided to give it a second look because the Total developer recommended it on a private Slack board for some of his most active users.

You seem quick to conclude it’s a theme conflict, but I think there’s a lot of evidence that it’s not, which is why I’d be grateful if there’s any way you can run tests in a staging site that replicates the live environment. You surely have more experience and better tools than I do to narrow down a viable approach to solving this issue, so resorting too quickly to the ol’ reliable “theme conflict, not our problem” resolution doesn’t really serve anyone except crossing things off your ticket queue. I’d really appreciate any insights you’d provide that are specific and useful and not just the basic “check to make sure your computer is turned on” type suggestions.

Hi William,

If you switch to a different stylesheet, like from Full Styles to Tribe Events Styles under Events Settings < Display, do you see the same issue?

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/stylesheets-and-page-templates/

Let me know if that helps!

Thanks,

Jaime

vladtheinhaler
    Participant

This had no apparent effect. I purged cache at Cloudflare, on the server, and in my browser. What next?

Hi William,

Can you confirm that with a default WordPress theme and no other plugins installed, that you do not see this issue?

Let me know, so that we can proceed!

Thanks,

Jaime

vladtheinhaler
    Participant

correct

Hi William,

Thanks for providing me with that information.

That indicates to me that there is a theme or plugin conflict that is occurring on your site.

You may want to run through our full testing for conflicts procedure, if you haven’t done so already, in order to determine where the conflict lies.

Please also note that support for theme and plugin conflicts is limited as stated in our support policy.

Let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime!

Thanks,

Jaime

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Events Calendar sidebar widget breaks mobile menu’ is closed to new replies.